Best running app for calorie counting?

Options
im using endomondo at the moment but i feel the calories spent are too far off...
I would be interested in other peoples experience of running app. Which estimate distance and calories the best?
I also run a 10k race last weekend and endomondo measured it at 11.6km... Pretty weird...

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use my FitBit for calories and distance and it seems pretty close, probably over estimates the calories burned by 5%. . I measured it against the treadmill with regards to distance and they were basically identical.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun has been great for me
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    mapmyrun has been great for me

This.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that uses mapmyrun and loves it. I use a garmin gps watch (Forerunner 210) and it tracks my miles and calories but those can be very expensive. Although, I will say I am lost without it.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have used Runkeeper for years for walking, running and cycling, too. Seems to be quite accurate.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The mapping issue is about your phone GPS receiver rather than the app.

I've used Runkeeper, Endomondo, Runtastic, Strava and MapMyFitness. Compared with my Polar FT60 I generally found Endomondo about 150cals high, MMF about the same as Endomondo, when it worked reliably. Runkeeper and Strava about 100 cals lower.

That said, for usability and reliability I prefer Endomondo or Runkeeper and generally wouldnt recommend either Runtastic or MMF. Strava is superior to all bit not really appropriate to casual users.

I'd also add that a GPS watch would probably give you optimal results. I use a Garmin Forerunner 310XT.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of the apps post their formulas, but you can compare it against the compendium of physical activities data and see what the differences are. https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/

The Compendium of Physical Activities was developed for use in epidemiologic studies to standardize the assignment of MET intensities in physical activity questionnaires. The MET level is used in the following formula to estimate the amount of calories burned.
    METs * Weight (lbs) * Minute * .008 = calories burned.

Ex. person running ten minute miles = 9.8 METs, for 30 minutes

weight = 135

9.8 * 135* 30 * .008 = 318 calories burned

I created a google spreadsheet to do the calculations so I wouldn't have to go look it up every time. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YbEexb8IvXv1m9Z6irkwrBggxOg9b8GKdrLA0mKDVE8/edit#gid=0
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 10 and like it a lot. It tracks distance and calories; when you upload the run to the website, it also shows elevation and your route & pace at any point of your run.
  • ItsMe0909
    Options
    If you would like the most accurate detail in terms of *calories*; use a chest heart rate strap and use the app that comes with it to calculate your calories.

I do have 2 HRMs, and for the sake of comparison this week; I have been wearing them both. (And....I have a home gym - so I can keep a lid on how silly it looks.) Anyway; I've been using the Polar H7 and the Wahoo Tickr X.

The Polar is consistent 98% of the time. On rare occasions; the HR drops by 15-20 bpm, within the first few minutes (after being higher and a known constant.) It returns to normal and stays consistent for the duration of my work out. The Wahoo takes 5 minutes before it is accurate, which is a new problem. It was always consistent the first month I had it. When the 2 stop dropping out; they are within 1 bpm give or take. I was using my iPhone & iPod to compare data.

I like the way Runkeeper houses the data of my workouts best. Runkeeper doesn't calculate the calories accurately; and perhaps because all of my activities are machine based. It is storing my HR, and has my age, etc - so I am not totally sure why it isnt accurately calculating calories. Possibly because of the activity I am selecting.

So; my best suggestion would be, get a chest strap HRM, and use both apps. You would pair the HRM to the HRM app*, then start both apps at the same time. I've found I'm only off by a few seconds between the 2 apps and it's not significant to my workout durations.
    You would only be able to pair the HRM to one app; and (for me) Runkeeper calories arent accurate anyway. I would be happy to share some screen shots of the 2 apps.

*If you can swing it; the most ideal situation for running would be a watch that displays data with the chest strap HRM. They are ridiculously expensive. I forget if the Pebble watch displays HR when coupled to a HRM.

I havent decided if I will run outside when the weather gets nicer; but I'm holding out for the Apple Watch. I would be tempted to purchase either a Polar or Garmin watch; but I don't want something that huge on my wrist.

Good luck on your decision!
  • mattster414
    Options
    Strava is the best for me. I especially like the auto pause feature.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    runkeeper is just about perfect in terms of distance run...I have no way to check the calorie burn.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I just use 0.65 * weight in pounds * miles run.

The MET method is ok, too, and matches this quite closely once RMR is backed out.
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the info. There are some serious professionals out here.
    I have been toying with the idea of buying a running watch but it is hard to justify the spending.
    I will have a look at runkeeper and will calculate my calories spent using the MET formula (thanks for that). I supposed if i work out the difference between my calculated expenditure and the app, i should be ok.
    Thank you so much, it was a real pleasure to read your posts.