Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    gramarye wrote: »
    amber7088 wrote: »
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

It's really insensitive (not to mention IMMENSELY OBLIVIOUS to your own privileges) to use the exploitation of mentally ill and/or unhappy people as motivation. People are not props to be used.

Right, we should never ever try to learn from other people's mistakes. That's just EVIL. I mean, just because I'm unhappy and overeat doesn't mean I have anything at all in common with someone who is more unhappy and overeats more. I guess I will just have to gain weight until I need surgery and then I will have earned the right to see how other people cope with the situation.

Right, this is the education channel, learning what not to do. Nice try.
    Great motivation, I am bad, but really could be much worse, and I watch this kind of show to prove it to myself.

No thanks. I refuse to buy into this reality tv mindset that it is ok to humiliate other human beings, in the name of entertaining, pardon me, I mean, educating, viewers.
  • FICK_THIS_SHUT
    Options
    I used to watch Supersize vs. Superskinny on BBC. I really liked that show.

OMG I love this show. I binged watched on YouTube for hours one day a while back.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

It's really insensitive (not to mention IMMENSELY OBLIVIOUS to your own privileges) to use the exploitation of mentally ill and/or unhappy people as motivation. People are not props to be used.

Right, we should never ever try to learn from other people's mistakes. That's just EVIL. I mean, just because I'm unhappy and overeat doesn't mean I have anything at all in common with someone who is more unhappy and overeats more. I guess I will just have to gain weight until I need surgery and then I will have earned the right to see how other people cope with the situation.

Great motivation, I am bad, but really could be much worse, and I watch this kind of show to prove it to myself.

No thanks. I refuse to buy into this reality tv mindset that it is ok to humiliate other human beings, in the name of entertaining, pardon me, I mean, educating, viewers.

That's nice. Don't watch it then.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I don't. Never have. Never will. Thanks for the advice, but I definitely do not need it.

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't understand what I am seeing. Is this a birth defect or does this person have so much fat (I mean adipose tissue:) that this happened? Very sad.
    erockem wrote: »
    I watched a few last night. I can sit and watch all that stuff and it inspires and motivates me. Then they showed one girl who's calves enveloped her feet as she walked. I was speechless and saddened.

Here is a pic, I did not want to embed the pic so you can choose to see it or not.
    Not for the faint of heart. :'(Amber

• Lourdesong
    Options

I don't. Never have. Never will. Thanks for the advice, but I definitely do not need it.

And thank you for the finger wag over a show you have never watched. You've added so much.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Well, I sort of agree with this. People aren't props.

Except that these people agreed to be on a television program focusing on their struggles with their weight. They still deserve sympathy and compassion, but if perhaps they inspire others with their example, is that a bad thing? Does that make them props?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

This is exactly why I boycott America's Funniest Home Videos
  • snowflake930
    Options

And thank you for the finger wag over a show you have never watched. You've added so much.

I do not need to watch a reality tv show to see another person humiliated. If you find this a way to spend your time, great, but I have a little more compassion than that.

Enjoy feeling superior.
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    I don't understand what I am seeing. Is this a birth defect or does this person have so much fat (I mean adipose tissue:) that this happened? Very sad.
    erockem wrote: »
    I watched a few last night. I can sit and watch all that stuff and it inspires and motivates me. Then they showed one girl who's calves enveloped her feet as she walked. I was speechless and saddened.

Here is a pic, I did not want to embed the pic so you can choose to see it or not.
    Not for the faint of heart. :'(Amber

She thought it was fat distribution, but the doc said it was lymphodema (sp?) I believe.

• Lourdesong
    Options

I do not need to watch a reality tv show to see another person humiliated. If you find this a way to spend your time, great, but I have a little more compassion than that.

Enjoy feeling superior.

I feel superior that I see a lot of irony in your post, and you did not and posted away.

• snowflake930
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

And, any other "reality" type tv show.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

And, any other "reality" type tv show.

Sigh-Charlie-Brown-229x300.jpeg

I guess you don't like clowns either?
  • snowflake930
    Options

Enjoy feeling superior.

I feel superior that I see a lot of irony in your post, and you did not and posted away.
    What irony do you see pray tell
  • alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I find it can be motivating to watch, until I watched the one last night where the girl was only 23. That pissed me off. To be 650lbs at 23 means her parents allowed her to essentially do and eat what she wanted. That puts the blame on them.

You do have a point, but when I was 11 and about 125, my mom schlepped me to the GP who put me on a 1000 calorie diet (with cottage cheese on the menu, yuck) and then she made me ride the exercise bicycle for 3 miles every day. Great intentions, no doubt. Don't know what effect it had on my body at the time, but it set me up for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting, unhealthy habits and a lot of self-loathing. My own kids went through "chubby" stages at puberty, and while lean and healthy now, they blame me for that time because I didn't do anything about it. Bottom line: being a parent is a no-win situation because we never seem to get it right no matter what we do!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    avalters wrote: »
    I find it can be motivating to watch, until I watched the one last night where the girl was only 23. That pissed me off. To be 650lbs at 23 means her parents allowed her to essentially do and eat what she wanted. That puts the blame on them.

You do have a point, but when I was 11 and about 125, my mom schlepped me to the GP who put me on a 1000 calorie diet (with cottage cheese on the menu, yuck) and then she made me ride the exercise bicycle for 3 miles every day. Great intentions, no doubt. Don't know what effect it had on my body at the time, but it set me up for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting, unhealthy habits and a lot of self-loathing. My own kids went through "chubby" stages at puberty, and while lean and healthy now, they blame me for that time because I didn't do anything about it. Bottom line: being a parent is a no-win situation because we never seem to get it right no matter what we do!!

ditto! I think we had the same childhood...I had to eat cottage cheese and something called melba toast :( yuk!!

• Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Enjoy feeling superior.

What irony do you see pray tell

You sure are spending a lot of time talking about a show you don't watch.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I'm confused as to how this is exploitation. The people signed up to be on the show. They are paid to be on it. They can back out if they want. I could see it if they were kids or mentally incapable people signed up to be on a show by their legal guardians, but these are adults capable of making their own decisions.

FWIW, I don't watch the show - I've only seen the ads.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

It's true. My parents kept sugar out of the house until I was in my teens and made me eat all of my liver and onions even if I had to eat them cold at midnight after sitting at the dinner table for five hours. I turned into a chronically-nauseated candy klepto who STILL hides sugar sometimes....and I live alone!!!!

• Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

It's true. My parents kept sugar out of the house until I was in my teens and made me eat all of my liver and onions even if I had to eat them cold at midnight after sitting at the dinner table for five hours. I turned into a chronically-nauseated candy klepto who STILL hides sugar sometimes....and I live alone!!!!

I was raised like this, too. My dad had me on the Atkins Diet in 7th grade. Definitely did not result in a healthy relationship with food, but I'm working on that.