My 600 Pound Life?

Options
Kinda OT but I didn't know where else to post this...

Have any of you seen this show on TLC? I'm just curious of your thoughts...knowing what we've all learned here about eating at a deficit to lose weight and watching these people struggle and have such a hard time giving up fast food, etc. even when it's threatening their lives and costing them their families.

Replies

• amber5151
    amber5151 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    amber7088 wrote: »
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

Me too!!! I sometimes watch it while I'm doing pilates lolol

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My response is "There but for the grace of God go I."
  • 2girlzmm
    2girlzmm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Show helps to keep me motivated.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    TLC has kind of turned into a freak show over the past decade. It used to be The Learning Channel and showed documentry type things similar to Discovery Channel. Now it's all reality shows and things like "My Strange Addiction"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad :'(
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I watched a few last night. I can sit and watch all that stuff and it inspires and motivates me. Then they showed one girl who's calves enveloped her feet as she walked. I was speechless and saddened.

Here is a pic, I did not want to embed the pic so you can choose to see it or not.
    Not for the faint of heart. :'(Amber
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    I watched a few last night. I can sit and watch all that stuff and it inspires and motivates me. Then they showed one girl who's calves enveloped her feet as she walked. I was speechless and saddened.

Here is a pic, I did not want to embed the pic so you can choose to see it or not.
    Not for the faint of heart. :'(Amber

OMG, that's terrible
  • slovie64
    slovie64 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Jruzer, that is so true! It could be us.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I never seeing the show but i get it. Well all have habits that are hard to break.
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've watched a few episodes lately. While this show doesn't motivate me the way that The Biggest Loser motivates me, it reminds me of what could be ahead of me if I don't stay on this path.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I can't watch shows like that because there is often a medical/surgical component, which I can't stomach. I used to watch Supersize vs. Superskinny on BBC. I really liked that show.
  • OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    While watching any of those shows; first is curiosity as to how it happens to that extreme (either 600# or hoarding); and then comes sadness at their plight and then "it" kicks in - either I want to go run another few miles or start throwing things out of my house - which scares my husband since there isn't anything left to throw!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few episodes. I always wonder how some of them decided that continuing to eat so much is better than having mobility. Probably because I've always been able to move myself without aid and eat what I want; that and I've been screwed over by so many people that I would never ask anyone to help me take care of myself.

I'd like to know how much help they get to change their eating or even reducing how much they eat.
  • FenTiger89
    FenTiger89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about that show. On the one hand, it makes me feel sad for the person. I know how I felt about myself at my highest point, and truthfully I can't imagine how they get through each day. On the other hand, many of the people they profile are house-bound and rely on friends and family to bring them their food, essentially making them enablers. If Aunt Lulu brought a grilled chicken salad instead of a bucket of KFC, guess who would be eating a salad that day? I get a little rage-y with the friends and family who won't step in and say "You know what? This isn't healthy. We need to make a change."

I will say that I've enjoyed the few episodes of "My Big Fat Life" with Whitney Thorne. I don't get quite as much of the "sideshow" vibe from her and it doesn't seem like she sits around feeling sorry for herself.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My favorite part was the two Nutella commercials that ran. Brazen little crack in a jar hussies, aren't they? ;)

(That was a joke, don't jump all over me and point out you gained your weight without ever having ever tasted Nutella in your entire life, simmer down, there!)

I really like this series and Where Are They Now, too. Sorry to see Penny still doesn't have her poop in a group, to use her words. I hope she will in the future.

Sad how many marriages and relationships end at least in part because of the weight loss causing relationship changes. It's like the reverse of the stereotypical 'my spouse gained weight and doesn't look or act the same, so the marriage is over'. Cures me of ever wanting to dive into a tub of ice cream, come back out, and find a nice chubby chaser of my own.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Also the red robin with bottomless fries.

10979482_10153006397259318_934646338_n.jpg?oh=47fd045de7fa919e620c89e7725a6a4d&oe=54D68804&__gda__=1423285936_1ed69ead64aa96d7949f7e9622a14f35
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    Also the red robin with bottomless fries.

10979482_10153006397259318_934646338_n.jpg?oh=47fd045de7fa919e620c89e7725a6a4d&oe=54D68804&__gda__=1423285936_1ed69ead64aa96d7949f7e9622a14f35

I wonder how I would fit bottomless fries in my day.