My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I watched several last night and often watch it from time to time. I did not watch the one regarding Amber but I did start off. I turned off the tv and forgot about turning it back on. I was sitting there last night eating my dinner and getting so upset. I found myself wondering if I should eat at all! I feel sorry for these individuals that their families and friends didn't step in or step up and say, 'no we aren't going to feed you this way.' So often you see families who contribute to their obesity and that is just sad.
    I don't mind the medical procedures and stuff - it actually fascinates me. I watch many of these types of shows and Hoaders just makes me want to smack someone but makes me overly critical of my own home.
    - Yes, watching these shows makes me aware of my own weight and what I eat and the amount of exercise I do. But last night I just wanted to cry.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    slovie64 wrote: »
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.

Oh yeah - Penny. Penny who was so proud of herself for taking her son Trick-or-Treating even though she didn't leave her scooter. She's awful. I felt bad for Dr. Now to have to deal with her as a patient.

• roxannecarriere
    roxannecarriere Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find the show very motivating. When I'm feeling sorry for myself and the 35 lbs I need to lose (AGAIN), I think it could be so much worse. At least I put the brakes on and got back on track. I find it also keeps me a little more accountable to myself - when you see how badly some of them are in denial...
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I force myself to watch each show, there for the Grace of God. ...they could easily be me. Except for the fact that no one supports me. Work or be homeless! Something to be thankful for, I guess. I can see how severe clinical depression, treated with psychopharmacology that makes people ravenous hungry, I think they should re name Paxil to "Pack It On". But, some doctors don't know enough about psychopharmacology and randomly prescribe meds without proper monitoring. It happened to me. I was depressed, a doctor prescribed me a med, that made me hungry.

Anyway, side issue. This is important that these people are getting treatment. And Penny, bless her heart...where did she find a man who puts up with her!?
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I find the show very motivating. When I'm feeling sorry for myself and the 35 lbs I need to lose (AGAIN), I think it could be so much worse. At least I put the brakes on and got back on track. I find it also keeps me a little more accountable to myself - when you see how badly some of them are in denial...

This too! I'm crying over less than 20 pounds to lose and some of these ladies have a goal weight higher than my highest weight of all time, which was morbid obesity range. If I hadn't stopped in my tracks and hit reverse, I'd be right there with them by now, too. Or dead. Extra motivation to keep going down the scale and not back up.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This show fascinates me. The family dynamics, the lengths that people are willing to go to get their fix, the manipulation, the codependency, the toxicity. So many issues. It's taken something a person needs to live and turned it into an addiction. People eat when not hungry, but for a high they get. Sure, it's a reality type show, but there are things you can learn from it. It's a look into their brains, into their relationships. Some of these people and their families need family and individual therapy badly. The show does show me one thing every episode, and that for them, the food isn't the real problem, it's a symptom of something else, usually more than one thing.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I force myself to watch each show, there for the Grace of God. ...they could easily be me. Except for the fact that no one supports me. Work or be homeless! Something to be thankful for, I guess. I can see how severe clinical depression, treated with psychopharmacology that makes people ravenous hungry, I think they should re name Paxil to "Pack It On". But, some doctors don't know enough about psychopharmacology and randomly prescribe meds without proper monitoring. It happened to me. I was depressed, a doctor prescribed me a med, that made me hungry.

Anyway, side issue. This is important that these people are getting treatment. And Penny, bless her heart...where did she find a man who puts up with her!?

Ugh...I haven't had a boyfriend in years and Penny is awful and found a man who puts up with her. SO not fair!

There was this other guy who's wife was murdered and he later remarried and they had an adopted son. I'm trying to figure out what kind of adoption agency was OK with giving a child to a man who couldn't take care of himself?????

• FloraJL
    FloraJL Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My best friend was on a TLC reality health show. She said sooooo many things were staged. So the question about My 600 Pound Life is, "What here is real and what is made up by the producers to make a 'better' show?"
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of the drama and food enabling is staged up.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    FloraJL wrote: »
    My best friend was on a TLC reality health show. She said sooooo many things were staged. So the question about My 600 Pound Life is, "What here is real and what is made up by the producers to make a 'better' show?"

I wonder how much of My Big Fat Fabulous Life is this way. I think it's funny, especially the mother, but how many of their lines are fed to them?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No, I don't rubber neck at car accidents either.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    FloraJL wrote: »

I wonder how much of My Big Fat Fabulous Life is this way. I think it's funny, especially the mother, but how many of their lines are fed to them?

I watched a few episodes of that...the epsiode with the dog memorial was pretty entertaining...and the one when she went to the beach. I think most of it is staged - similar to the Real Housewives and Duck Dynasty.

• SofiaofNY
    SofiaofNY Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It scares the hell out of me.....seriously.
  • Jolinia
    Options

I don't watch it like that. I will sit and cry and cheer for these people, because I have a dim inkling of what they're going through from my own lesser struggles.
  • nissanmama
    nissanmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do watch the show. I find it inspiring. My mother is morbidly obese but surgery is not an option for her. It is slowly killing her and she's a nurse. She knows better. She constantly counsels me to not follow in her footsteps. I love her so very much that I was in denial for a long time about her size. She was just Mom. The show actually helped me see her more objectively and take a hard look at my gene pool. One of my goals is not to live up to my genetic expectations. 3o7pzdpjavvh.jpg
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    There was a man in the doctor's office with me Friday who weighed 478 pounds (I heard him give his stats - he was in the room next to me) and I kept thinking that these people are 200+ pounds more than that! This guy had to wear an oxygen thingy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

I don't watch it like that. I will sit and cry and cheer for these people, because I have a dim inkling of what they're going through from my own lesser struggles.

Honestly, I make no judgment about other people watching it or enjoying it. I do recognize that part of the interest for me is a fascination for the extreme, the morbid and the whole train wreck. I do not accept that I (or my children) will watch other people's problems as entertainment. I rather have them/myself outside. I'm already on the computer too much - so the fascination/horror of that and other shows of their ilk is a no-go, again for me.

Why these people accept to be circus acts is beyond me, but, hey why not monetize your suffering.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    slovie64 wrote: »
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.

Oh yeah - Penny. Penny who was so proud of herself for taking her son Trick-or-Treating even though she didn't leave her scooter. She's awful. I felt bad for Dr. Now to have to deal with her as a patient.

I feel bad for her son. I hate saying I feel bad for anybody's kid but I can't stand the denial. He doesn't need you just for trick-or-treating...he needs her everyday. She was acting like she just did the most amazing thing for her son and she deserved a damn parade. THAT'S WHAT PARENTS DO!! I was so pissed about that. Obviously it still hit a nerve lol