My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    avalters wrote: »
    I find it can be motivating to watch, until I watched the one last night where the girl was only 23. That pissed me off. To be 650lbs at 23 means her parents allowed her to essentially do and eat what she wanted. That puts the blame on them.

You do have a point, but when I was 11 and about 125, my mom schlepped me to the GP who put me on a 1000 calorie diet (with cottage cheese on the menu, yuck) and then she made me ride the exercise bicycle for 3 miles every day. Great intentions, no doubt. Don't know what effect it had on my body at the time, but it set me up for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting, unhealthy habits and a lot of self-loathing. My own kids went through "chubby" stages at puberty, and while lean and healthy now, they blame me for that time because I didn't do anything about it. Bottom line: being a parent is a no-win situation because we never seem to get it right no matter what we do!!

ditto! I think we had the same childhood...I had to eat cottage cheese and something called melba toast :( yuk!!

Been there .. when I was 13, a friend of my mother's referred to me as chubby .. I was 5'2 or 3 .. 125 lbs, a 2-sport athlete ... I spent the next 6 years on one diet after another. First was a "doctor" supervised 700 cal a day diet. The Grapefruit Diet, the scarsdale diet, the weird diet where you eat a lot of *kitten* beets ... you name it, I was on it.

Oddly enough .. i still love cottage cheese on melba ... love it.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    gramarye wrote: »
    amber7088 wrote: »
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

It's really insensitive (not to mention IMMENSELY OBLIVIOUS to your own privileges) to use the exploitation of mentally ill and/or unhappy people as motivation. People are not props to be used.

Right, we should never ever try to learn from other people's mistakes. That's just EVIL. I mean, just because I'm unhappy and overeat doesn't mean I have anything at all in common with someone who is more unhappy and overeats more. I guess I will just have to gain weight until I need surgery and then I will have earned the right to see how other people cope with the situation.

Right, this is the education channel, learning what not to do. Nice try.
    Great motivation, I am bad, but really could be much worse, and I watch this kind of show to prove it to myself.

No thanks. I refuse to buy into this reality tv mindset that it is ok to humiliate other human beings, in the name of entertaining, pardon me, I mean, educating, viewers.

That's nice. Don't watch it then.

I don't. Never have. Never will. Thanks for the advice, but I definitely do not need it.

And thank you for the finger wag over a show you have never watched. You've added so much.

I do not need to watch a reality tv show to see another person humiliated. If you find this a way to spend your time, great, but I have a little more compassion than that.

Enjoy feeling superior.

I feel superior that I see a lot of irony in your post, and you did not and posted away.

Best thing I read all day

• purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    breefoshee wrote: »
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I watch this while I'm on the treadmill. Motivates me to keep going.

What perplexes me though is TLC showing this show while airing commercials for its other show "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" way to glorify being fat

I thought so too, but in defense of that show that girl is actively trying to lose weight lol

Yea, I've watched the show.. she really is trying.. but she also has PCOS.

I love Whitney, she is great but I hope its just editing that makes her seem to always blame the PCOS. I have PCOS too. I know it causes me to gain weight because what I eat. My doctor once told me that the average person can eat 1 donut and not gain weight but that 1 donut will cause me to gain. You have to stick to eating healthy and as clean as can be. I wish her all the luck in the world.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Penny is the worst on that show. I highly doubt it is down to bad editing. When the nutritionist was going through the home, she told her son that they were "taking his cereal", and that she would let him have what she wanted. She also didn't make any of the changes recommended to her, and had a horrible attitude.

Amber was featured last night, and I LOVED her story. Not to mention, her insanely awesome makeup and hair skills! Same with Zsalynn. I really loved her outlook and found it relatable; weight loss can be hard, and it requires changes; and it was so nice seeing her reach the goals she set for herself, and how proud she was of being a mom to her daughter.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    slovie64 wrote: »
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.

Oh yeah - Penny. Penny who was so proud of herself for taking her son Trick-or-Treating even though she didn't leave her scooter. She's awful. I felt bad for Dr. Now to have to deal with her as a patient.

I feel bad for her son. I hate saying I feel bad for anybody's kid but I can't stand the denial. He doesn't need you just for trick-or-treating...he needs her everyday. She was acting like she just did the most amazing thing for her son and she deserved a damn parade. THAT'S WHAT PARENTS DO!! I was so pissed about that. Obviously it still hit a nerve lol

When she said she did more for her son than working mothers, my jaw hit the floor.
    I hope she's in absolute denial of her condition and the effect is is and will have on her son, but something tells me that she is convinced that her current situation is just dandy.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there does appear to be an overgrown baby-thing going on. Especially mothers of 600 lb adult children, running to feed their helpless 600 pound baby that's crying that it's hungry. It's disturbing.

Wow! Good insight!

On Whitney Thore, what disturbs me, I am all about body positive...rah rah...but she is at a danger level. She should consider surgery. And by listening to her parents, part of her problem is the food she eats. And come on, get real. She lives a "pseudo" life...living at home with wealthy parents. Nice car to drive...how about some tough love, show us how easy it is to get a job at 380 pounds...I loved Tara on "My 600 Pound Life", she has a job, supports her family. Impressive. Sure, she does phone dispatch from home for a moving company, but she is employed.

I weight about the same as Whitney....I have a job, one where I stand all day....in fact,, before my OCD got bad, I worked two standing jobs for many years....I have watched Whitney's show a few times, and I find her funny and refreshing, but I do not think much of it is reality, it is very staged.

I think overall she does great, always out of the house and doing something....the thing about being this big is that you have to keep moving, or you end up losing mobility and end up on 600lb life instead!

Also, do not underestimate what PCOS can do. I have a friend with that, and she weighed like 125lbs soaking wet her whole teenage years, and then gained like 150lbs in a year and was diagnosed....not everyone gets that side effect so quick or hard, but some do.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.

Oh yeah - Penny. Penny who was so proud of herself for taking her son Trick-or-Treating even though she didn't leave her scooter. She's awful. I felt bad for Dr. Now to have to deal with her as a patient.

I feel bad for her son. I hate saying I feel bad for anybody's kid but I can't stand the denial. He doesn't need you just for trick-or-treating...he needs her everyday. She was acting like she just did the most amazing thing for her son and she deserved a damn parade. THAT'S WHAT PARENTS DO!! I was so pissed about that. Obviously it still hit a nerve lol

When she said she did more for her son than working mothers, my jaw hit the floor.
    I hope she's in absolute denial of her condition and the effect is is and will have on her son, but something tells me that she is convinced that her current situation is just dandy.

I agree with all of the above! Penny drove myself, my SO and my daughter all crazy! Trying to convince the DR that she was losing weight when she could not even stand up! And she did not 'go trick or treating', she sat in a chair while her poor husband pushed her around....why should her son be proud of that?? He should be proud that his dad can push 600+lbs uphill!!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

It's really insensitive (not to mention IMMENSELY OBLIVIOUS to your own privileges) to use the exploitation of mentally ill and/or unhappy people as motivation. People are not props to be used.

Right, we should never ever try to learn from other people's mistakes. That's just EVIL. I mean, just because I'm unhappy and overeat doesn't mean I have anything at all in common with someone who is more unhappy and overeats more. I guess I will just have to gain weight until I need surgery and then I will have earned the right to see how other people cope with the situation.

Right, this is the education channel, learning what not to do. Nice try.
    Great motivation, I am bad, but really could be much worse, and I watch this kind of show to prove it to myself.

No thanks. I refuse to buy into this reality tv mindset that it is ok to humiliate other human beings, in the name of entertaining, pardon me, I mean, educating, viewers.

That's nice. Don't watch it then.

I don't. Never have. Never will. Thanks for the advice, but I definitely do not need it.

So... You clicked on a thread about the show SOLEY to be sanctimonious.

Congratulations, we all tip our hats to your superior moral fiber. ;)
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I agree with all of the above! Penny drove myself, my SO and my daughter all crazy! Trying to convince the DR that she was losing weight when she could not even stand up! And she did not 'go trick or treating', she sat in a chair while her poor husband pushed her around....why should her son be proud of that?? He should be proud that his dad can push 600+lbs uphill!!

She couldn't even know if she was losing weight (or staying on track for her weight loss goals), because she wouldn't get on a scale. Buying smaller clothes and fitting in them? Ok, that's a step forward. But the fact remains that she should have been a fraction of her starting weight based on the time out from surgery, and following the aftercare diet (which she claimed she was never told about?! Pleaseeee.)

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

LOL - go on the IMDb message board for this show and see how many Penny threads there are. It hit a nerve with a lot of people!!! lololol

Yep I am on the list of people pissed off at Penny. She treats everyone around her like they live to serve her. I nearly fell off of the elliptical when she said that her cutting coupons was really earning more money than her husband. That woman needs everyone in her life to just walk away for 6 months. Just leave her and let her fend for herself for a while so she can appreciate what they do and maybe learn to do for herself a little.
  • lolersk8r
    lolersk8r Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Clearly this is a mental health issue, not just a food issue. I feel like this show shows this extreme form of weight as just an eating issue. I'm watching the Amber ep and finally they show her talking to a therapist.
    Also, I don't think My Big Fat Fabulous life "glorifies" being fat. She's glorifying her personality and showing the world that her body doesn't define who she is as a person.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »

LOL - go on the IMDb message board for this show and see how many Penny threads there are. It hit a nerve with a lot of people!!! lololol

Yep I am on the list of people pissed off at Penny. She treats everyone around her like they live to serve her. I nearly fell off of the elliptical when she said that her cutting coupons was really earning more money than her husband. That woman needs everyone in her life to just walk away for 6 months. Just leave her and let her fend for herself for a while so she can appreciate what they do and maybe learn to do for herself a little.

I'm an extreme couponer, and I still know that her philosphy of "saving $500 is just as good as my husband earning $500" is asinine! Does she not realize that you still need to spend a significant amount to save $500?
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    lolersk8r wrote: »
    Clearly this is a mental health issue, not just a food issue. I feel like this show shows this extreme form of weight as just an eating issue. I'm watching the Amber ep and finally they show her talking to a therapist.

They did a therapist taping for Zsalynn too, in her update episode.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

I'm an extreme couponer, and I still know that her philosphy of "saving $500 is just as good as my husband earning $500" is asinine! Does she not realize that you still need to spend a significant amount to save $500?

Glad you said this, I forgot about it....I coupon too and you are exactly right!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    This show fascinates me. The family dynamics, the lengths that people are willing to go to get their fix, the manipulation, the codependency, the toxicity. So many issues. It's taken something a person needs to live and turned it into an addiction. People eat when not hungry, but for a high they get. Sure, it's a reality type show, but there are things you can learn from it. It's a look into their brains, into their relationships. Some of these people and their families need family and individual therapy badly. The show does show me one thing every episode, and that for them, the food isn't the real problem, it's a symptom of something else, usually more than one thing.

^THIS

And why, if they have interventions for drug addiction and alcohol addiction, do they not have interventions for the 600pound person who is just as surely killing themselves with McDonald's and impacting the lives of all around them, as they do for the heroin addict? Just a thought. Not every one who is overweight suffers from food addiction, I myself just suffer from periodic lack of self control. For some though, it is a real addiction, and maybe should be treated as such. Through finding the underlying cause, and not enabling them to just kill themselves with food.

In all seriousness, if you are a drug addict or an alcoholic, the solution is to get clean and never use drugs or alcohol again.....but you cannot just ever eat again....for those truly addicted to food, it is the only addiction that you have to try beat while STILL using the drug of your choice.....
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

Glad you said this, I forgot about it....I coupon too and you are exactly right!

Nothing negative about couponers. <3 I have totally done it while the baby was tiny and I couldn't work. People should always find ways to contribute if they are able but I never once used my efforts to degrade my husbands efforts as the earner. She wanted to make the point that she was really doing more than her husband. The husband that works and takes care of their son and cooks and cleans and does all the shopping while she, an able bodied adult, sits all day with only the effort of squeezing a set of scissors together. I am not his fan, I think he is enabling and I am ticked at him too but she was a level of selfish and lazy that made my blood boil.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

They did a therapist taping for Zsalynn too, in her update episode. [/quote]

I saw that and felt like crying. Zsalynn is so beautiful, and working so hard. And her husband is so awful. She needs to recognize her self worth so she won't get another jerk like him.

No disrespect @Italian_Buju‌ I am glad that you have a job, so do I, but I was hired on a phone interview, and I know they were a bit surprised by my weight. I think getting a job at 380 pounds is not easy. I just see Whitney doing all these things, and yes, it is staged. And yes, PCOS does cause weight gain, which is why I believe that she should have weight loss surgery at this point.

Just a note on the 600 pound life...most of these people seem quite low income. And not terribly educated. Nice folks...but lower SES. I wonder why...no fat rich folks? Or they don't need the money?

Penny! Don't get me started on her "coupons", it is all for processed food! Great, save $1.00 on Oreos. ..how about saving money and not buying Oreos at all! Her son would be fine eating some fresh fruit and vegetables. Buying food on coupons takes time. If I was her spouse, I would just toss them. That poor guy...does he ever get any?
  • savinoca
    savinoca Posts: 30
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I noticed that Whitney claims to the camera in her best social justice warrior tone that she hates that people think that fat people are lazy, and then a good part of her reality show is her parents scolding her about moldy (!) dishes piling up in her room, and her dirty laundry piling up and her filthy car and her uncompleted tasks and so on. This while she doesn't have a job or responsibilities, really. I get it's supposed to be like funny-ha-ha parents on her case like she's a teenager, kind-of-thing, but jeez.

Right, except the show can't completely pull this off because Whitney *isn't* a teenager. I think she's 29 or 30. So, with no job (aside from her occasional dance lesson), she really should be able to clean her room, do her laundry, clean her car, or help her parents out with whatever they need while living under their roof and dime (it seems like they don't ask for too much, honestly).

I watch the show and I love Whitney's personality, and I think she's adorable, but I also *do* think she's lazy.

And yes, she does dance, and has a personal trainer, but it doesn't seem like she is dieting *at all*. The PCOS makes it hard to lose weight, but it's going to be impossible if she doesn't actually diet.

Of course, it can all just be the show's editing, so who knows.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I usually find these shows fairly annoying, I saw one where a 600lb woman said she didn't overate at all, like she magically maintained 600lbs while eating 1200 calories a day.
  • amber5151
    amber5151 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

It is insensitive, and No they are not props. However, they signed up for the show as consenting adults, they are not being exploited and they should expect to serve as not only entertainment for people, but as cautionary tales. I do not know how they feel. I use it as a cautionary tale that if I were to eat incredibly unhealthy I could end up like that, if I were to not work out and sit on my couch all day, I *could* end up like that. So it motivates me to get up and do something. It motivates me to eat some chicken instead of that pepperoni pizza that I would really like. Is that insensitive, sure, but that is the response it brings to me.

Hoarders.. I can't stand a filthy house, so it makes me want to clean my house.

The entire world isn't going to be completely PC and sensitive to every special snowflake, if you want to go on TV, expect people to have their own opinions and responses.