Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Interesting to see those 'tolerant' vegans and vegetarians have flagged my post for abuse. I think that says more about them than me.

I should also say that the vast majority of vegans and vegetarians I know in real life and who post on the board are lovely people. But you're always going to get a few loonies at the fringe I suppose.

What does "tolerance" have to do with it, and why assume that it's the vegetarians who flagged your comment? (I have not idea why it was flagged, it doesn't violate any rules. But as we know that doesn't really matter here it seems.)

1) Quotes can be used to indicate sarcasm.
    2) It was vegans. Really.

I knew you were being sarcastic. It doesn't make it relevant. What does being vegan have to do with tolerance? All it is is argumentative disguised as sarcasm.

Pretty much. The dude picked a fight in a thread that had nothing to do with him and then complained about other people being mean.

Classic MFP.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Interesting to see those 'tolerant' vegans and vegetarians have flagged my post for abuse. I think that says more about them than me.

I should also say that the vast majority of vegans and vegetarians I know in real life and who post on the board are lovely people. But you're always going to get a few loonies at the fringe I suppose.

What does "tolerance" have to do with it, and why assume that it's the vegetarians who flagged your comment? (I have not idea why it was flagged, it doesn't violate any rules. But as we know that doesn't really matter here it seems.)

It wasn't this vegan! Judgy, 'meat is murder, so you're a murderer' vegans annoy the heck out of me. They happen to be the most vocal of the bunch and tend to be off putting to most people.

okay I'll jump in too! also a non judge-y vegetarian here. I made a choice for my own reasons, which I pretty much keep it to myself.

Also, I dont need a really good reason to not eat meat. I can just not eat it, because I dont want to.

I think people are disappointed when I dont feel my vegetarian diet is a brave bold sacrifice for the sake of the animals.

Like, I hope I am helping the animals, but that wasnt my original intention. My original intention was based on economics, health, and a life long love of vegetarian food.

Economics definitely plays a role in my decisions. Every other week I hear complaints from family about how pricey meat, dairy, and eggs are getting. And I'm over here with my dried beans and rice and veggies from Aldi not having a clue what those prices even look like anymore. Lentils FTW!

Definitely cheaper no doubt about that!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Lentils are AWESOME.

:drinker:
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

It wasn't this vegan! Judgy, 'meat is murder, so you're a murderer' vegans annoy the heck out of me. They happen to be the most vocal of the bunch and tend to be off putting to most people.

Now see, why can't more people who choose a non-traditional (for lack of a better term at the moment) be like you? :)
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

okay I'll jump in too! also a non judge-y vegetarian here. I made a choice for my own reasons, which I pretty much keep it to myself.

Also, I dont need a really good reason to not eat meat. I can just not eat it, because I dont want to.

I think people are disappointed when I dont feel my vegetarian diet is a brave bold sacrifice for the sake of the animals.

Like, I hope I am helping the animals, but that wasnt my original intention. My original intention was based on economics, health, and a life long love of vegetarian food.

Before the better half and I moved in together, I ate vegetarian all week when it was just me I was cooking for, and only had meat on the weekends when I'd be cooking for the two (or sometimes more) of us. It was waaaaaay more cost effective that way.

I had to incorporate red meat back in more regularly for anemia reasons (spinach just couldn't do it alone :( ) but I'm still a big fan of creative vegetarian dishes. One of my best friends is still a vegetarian, so we hit up specialty restaurants in our respective cities since I never make her feel like I'm missing the meat!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I actively dislike chickens. If a chicken gave me cause, I would not hesitate to slap it.

I'd go as far as to say the only good reason for chickens to be here is to get eaten. Stupid, annoying, beady eyed little sods that they are.

I think chickens are adorable. My friend raises chicken to provide eggs for her family and eventually meat. She named them all things like Teriyaki, Honey, Barbeque,......and her best layer is called Baby. They have become part of her family and we are taking bets to see if she's actually going to slaughter any of them. It's doubtful. They come when they are called and like to be petted.

• Laurend224
    Options
    I actively dislike chickens. If a chicken gave me cause, I would not hesitate to slap it.

I'd go as far as to say the only good reason for chickens to be here is to get eaten. Stupid, annoying, beady eyed little sods that they are.

I think chickens are adorable. My friend raises chicken to provide eggs for her family and eventually meat. She named them all things like Teriyaki, Honey, Barbeque,......and her best layer is called Baby. They have become part of her family and we are taking bets to see if she's actually going to slaughter any of them. It's doubtful. They come when they are called and like to be petted.

I think they're cute.... ON A PLATE!

;)

You're Wicked! >:)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Lentils are AWESOME.

I made a lentil based Sheppard's pie that kicked butt according to my vegetarian audience. There was quinoa in there as well, but I didn't tell them. Oh, and a little goat feta.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    We too, have made an effort to cut back on meat and dairy consumption, based on the impact of some current production practices on the planet, ethical concern for the treatment of some animals raised for consumption, knowledge of the politics behind the industry, as well as the impact diets high in meat and dairy may have on longterm health. I know all of these reasons are controversial, and the various impacts can be forever debated. But this is a personal decision, and for ourselves, ( an RN and a family physician), and based on the research we've done and the knowledge we've gained over the last 40 some years, we feel it's the right decision for us. Is it easy? No!! Because we both have life long patterns that are difficult to change. But, like you, it's something we're both more conscious of now, and we're willing to make some changes that line up more with what we've learned. When we do eat meat and dairy, we eat more local, eat organic when possible and consider the treatment of the animals raised.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Lentils are AWESOME.

As are black soy beans. Fabulous nutrition profile.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I had the willpower to cut out meat I would. Purely because I do think it's disgusting how many of our animals are treated. I've been known to stop eating a steak 2 bites in because I can't get the picture of a baby cow out of my head!
    On the other hand, and this is where the willpower comes in..... I love the taste of meat, and I try and block the slaughtering practices out of my head.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Economics definitely plays a role in my decisions. Every other week I hear complaints from family about how pricey meat, dairy, and eggs are getting. And I'm over here with my dried beans and rice and veggies from Aldi not having a clue what those prices even look like anymore. Lentils FTW!
    So glad I'm not alone in the economics thing. I can afford more fruits, veggies, whole grains and even some speciality products much better since eliminating the meat expense.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Not my bag. Food is food, whether it's animal or plant based.

Good luck with your goals though.

Ok but I prefer my food to not cry before it dies.

I don't really care if it does or not. It's just food.
    Sorry, this is my first time checking in since my last post. Apologies if I came across harshly, that wasn't my intention though reading back it appears that way. I guess I'm slightly more concerned about food production than I originally thought! Maybe I'm becoming one of those militant organic omnivores
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Buzzfeed did a video where a couple of the people who eat meat on a daily basis went to a poultry farm and slaughtered their own chickens to eat. It was rather interesting to watch, actually; when you don't grow up in an environment where you raise and slaughter your own food, to see your reaction to doing as such.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If I had the willpower to cut out meat I would. Purely because I do think it's disgusting how many of our animals are treated. I've been known to stop eating a steak 2 bites in because I can't get the picture of a baby cow out of my head!
    On the other hand, and this is where the willpower comes in..... I love the taste of meat, and I try and block the slaughtering practices out of my head.

Christinev297 - I'm right there with ya on this. Would like to eventually get to the point where I don't eat meat at all.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    Buzzfeed did a video where a couple of the people who eat meat on a daily basis went to a poultry farm and slaughtered their own chickens to eat. It was rather interesting to watch, actually; when you don't grow up in an environment where you raise and slaughter your own food, to see your reaction to doing as such.

I'm only a generation off the farm on my mother side where there are many who still farm. When I was 12 I worked on my uncle's farm for a month in the summer and slaughtered chickens. I wasn't horrified by it in the least as to me it was where my food came from and it may have been a grim task but I didn't look at it as senseless killing but rather a necessary task for my food.

I was holding the chickens while my uncle cut their heads off and the only problem I had was that one of them got away from me and ran into a bush and couldn't be eaten since it didn't bleed out properly. Later I helped gut them and prepare them for freezing.

Note: by today's standards these would have been called free range, organic chickens and they lived in traditional open coops and wandered over an acre of land during the day. I had no idea that large industry chicken farms were so different until much later in life.

• Laurend224
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »

I'm only a generation off the farm on my mother side where there are many who still farm. When I was 12 I worked on my uncle's farm for a month in the summer and slaughtered chickens. I wasn't horrified by it in the least as to me it was where my food came from and it may have been a grim task but I didn't look at it as senseless killing but rather a necessary task for my food.

I was holding the chickens while my uncle cut their heads off and the only problem I had was that one of them got away from me and ran into a bush and couldn't be eaten since it didn't bleed out properly. Later I helped gut them and prepare them for freezing.

Note: by today's standards these would have been called free range, organic chickens and they lived in traditional open coops and wandered over an acre of land during the day. I had no idea that large industry chicken farms were so different until much later in life.

There are quite a few large scale poultry farms in my area, along with a large poultry processing plant. You don't want to be downwind of them. The smell is awful. I can't imagine the conditions where those poor birds are kept.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was unaware of this until today, but I suppose it reaffirms my point about animal welfare prior to slaughter
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11384505/Secret-halal-slaughterhouse-film-reveals-horrific-animal-abuse.html
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was unaware of this until today, but I suppose it reaffirms my point about animal welfare prior to slaughter
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11384505/Secret-halal-slaughterhouse-film-reveals-horrific-animal-abuse.html

What was your point? How does this affirm it?

Some people in the UK were not following standards of slaughter. And? Even the religious leaders found this abhorrent. When it's done right, it's not news.

Confirmation bias, doing it right. :wtf: