Overwhelmed with the need for new clothes.

Options
UGH.... I am so overwhelmed with my wardrobe. I have NOTHING to wear. Well, I have some things - but mostly exercise clothes and plain-jane things (basic white and black tees, basic jeans shorts)

Our social life has been picking up (side effect of losing 36 lbs) and I never have anything to wear. Usually, we go out to a local pub or restaurant, or gather in small groups for cocktails and music and games.

What should I do? I cannot afford a whole new wardrobe, but I need something other than a white tee shirt and jean shorts every time we go out. :/

I am also in need of shoes!

Any thoughts? I hate to invest too much money since I have a lot more to go, but I need something to tide me over and get me through spring and summer. I do shop at thrift stores a lot, but then I end up with lots of pieces that don't really match anything. Help!

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Two words:

Thrift Store.

You can get clothes for a few dollars each. I have stuff from Ann Taylor, GAP, and JCrew that were all purchased at thrift stores. You can even find name brands with the tags still on them! :)

Don't buy it new if you are changing sizes due to weight loss.
  • LizGogol
    LizGogol Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You should check out stores like h & m , target, winners where you can get cheap nice clothes! That's what I did when my old clothes got too big for me, I got a lot of stuff for a reasonable price.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    why not get some basics (cute jeans, skirts, etc) that go with a lot and add pieces from your old wardrobe that are just a bit loose...i phase clothes out this way. Or you can try shopping at a less expensive store (old navy or LOFT) for basics rather than the nicer store (banana republic or Ann Taylor) until you get to your goal!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh, whoops, you've tried the Thrift store route.

Target and Old Navy Clearance racks instead!! :)
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have some people that have been handing me their clothes that they don't fit in or want anymore. I aso go to the Goodwill for clothes. When I meet my goal..I'll go on a major spree..but for now..gotta save money! Oh..don't forget it is garage sale season! Hit those up. Hope this helps! Congrats on ur clothes getting too big!!!
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try a dressy belt for thos white shirts or some fun jewelry to accessorize. Find yourself a nice pair of jeans/skirt for the club at a discount. And look for dresses that you can belt as well - that way when you are smaller your just have to cinch up the belt more but can still where the dress. As for shoes - invest in a cute pair of wedges so you can walk in them but still be stylish.

Good luck and remember this is a great problem to have!
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Check out thrift stores and consignment shops... Its silly to spend a lot of money on transitional clothes... I've found cute things at the salvation army, and thats where i've been buying most of my jeans. Honestly, I think i've gotten too cheap to buy anything new.. let alone new at full price. I'd rather spend my money on quality groceries. You could also post a wanted ad on craigs list with your size and what you're looking for. A lot of people have stuff that doesn't fit just kicking around that they haven't yet decided what to do with. Aaaannnd... try to enjoy this problem. You're doing great!!!
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I have been pretty lucky finding things at the thrift stores. I make a list of the things that I have and the colors and carry that with me when I shop. At one or two pieces here and there, it does take longer, but at least I am in a thrift store loaded area. Wish I had better advice for you. Good luck.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try a dressy belt for thos white shirts or some fun jewelry to accessorize. Find yourself a nice pair of jeans/skirt for the club at a discount. And look for dresses that you can belt as well - that way when you are smaller your just have to cinch up the belt more but can still where the dress. As for shoes - invest in a cute pair of wedges so you can walk in them but still be stylish.

Good luck and remember this is a great problem to have!

Totally agree with top post..and in the plus side Belts are really in!! :)
  • kristy3119
    kristy3119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Accessories!! You can gussy up your "plain jane" stuff with belts, scarves, jewelry etc. The best part is they'll still fit even when you lose more.

I didn't have much of a choice but to buy some new summer stuff, but I tried to get things that would still look good even when I lose more. Flowy or slouchy tops and dresses, and cropped "boyfriend" style jeans that you roll up-I just got them a little snug and figure they'll look even better as they get slouchier. Another thing I've learned is to find the size you need, then if possible, try on a size or two larger and see how it looks, that way you can gauge whether it'll still look ok when you go down another size or two.

And always look for sales and coupons (or both toether-that's the best!)....softens the blow a bit :)

Good luck!
  • carriecolleen
    Options
    Accessorize! Dress up plain T's with scarves or belts...even long necklaces. Buy yourself some funky inexpensive pieces. Brightly colored shoes with some cool accessories can make an outfit! Even a new jacket or blazer to pop over jeans and a t looks great!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    It is such a great thing to be overwhelmed with, isn't it? I love the new clothes aspect myself, but it does dent my budget. I have restocked a little at a time by shopping sales racks constantly wherever I go and picking up 1-2 items. If you can buy the basics: good pair of jeans, a khaki or jean skirt, a black dress, you can really make a little go a long way. Good luck and try to enjoy this new opportunity you have!
  • anneid
    anneid Posts: 8
    Options
    Consignment stores, thirft stores and Old Navy. Old Navy has steals on clearance and if you hit it at the right time, there might be an additional 30 percent off clearance. I just got some capris there for $3.47. Their stuff goes on clearance so quickly after it is new in the store that you can get current season stuff for super cheap and it is brnad new. Also, if you are still losing, you do not want to spend too much on the in between wardrobe. Hope that helps.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I am just buying a few pieces that mix together. I have never shopped at a thrift store. I will have to check that out. I do tend to buy a lot at outlet malls, a discount retailers like Target and Kohls. But I always watch for sales. Right now I have work pants in black, grey and brown and a pair of jeans. I bought most of those on clearance and I am willing to buy a size or two down if they have a good clearance sale. I agree with the accessories. They fit at any size, so investing in a few nice scarves is a great thing to do.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Most days I want to wear my exercise clothes to work because I just feel ridiculous in clothes that are too big!
    I would go to second hand stores where they are sometimes new or gently used. You are only going to be in them a few months, but feeling better about yourself is a big deal. I have found dressing up encourages me to eat right and continue exercising. Wearing the old clothes that don't fit somehow tells me to splurge on that brownie.

Bonus is, you can resell those clothes when they are too big! :)

You could also consider tailoring a few items that are your favorites. Taking them in a little around the waist will make them more comfortable to wear.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    why don't you buy a few versatile pieces you can dress up/down and that will make a few outfits

That should hold you over until you reach your goal weight!

Buy one pair of nice pants (jeans, cropped pant, etc), skirt, 2-3 tops, maybe a jacket?

and you can mix and match for like 6 different outfits!

Also go to the cheapie stores like H&M and Zara to make sure you don't splurge but can afford a few pieces
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Two words:

Thrift Store.

You can get clothes for a few dollars each. I have stuff from Ann Taylor, GAP, and JCrew that were all purchased at thrift stores. You can even find name brands with the tags still on them! :)

Don't buy it new if you are changing sizes due to weight loss.

This, I have been scouting them out like mad! I need some summer clothes but dont have the $$$ to waste on one if I am dropping weight and next year it will be no good. Check for sale dates, here Salvation Army has weekly sales, I got 3 pairs of shorts for $6, all name brand!