Anyone working out with MS?

Options
I am a former triathlete who now has MS and has gained 30 pounds. Exercising like I want to will literally make me sick and throw me into muscle weakness, extreme fatigue etc. Is there anyone out there with MS who struggles with the mind being willing, but the body being weak? What are you doing to build muscle and burn fat etc.

Replies

• dd1224
    dd1224 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi I just wanted to write to offer support. I don't have MS, but my mom does and I know she finds it really difficult to exercise at all. If she gets too hot her legs basically stop working, and then there's the fatigue she has on top of that. I know it frustrates her tremendously. It might help to focus on taking in less calories and do exercise as you are able and try to stay cool if overheating is a trigger for you as well. My mom tried yoga and she said she felt fantastic after it. Hang in there, *hug*
  • Amyhue
    Amyhue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have seen the p90x thing and watched the infomercials with envy. Darned MS wipes me out. Overheating is becoming a problem. I can't imagine what kind of relapse that would throw me into.
  • Amyhue
    Amyhue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your mom and I are alot alike. Excercise is a dicey thing sometimes. Does she have balance issues with yoga? I kinda laugh at the thought of gong "down" trying to do a downward-dog or trying to stand on one leg. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • SherryGirl
    SherryGirl Posts: 40
    Options

This lady has really inspired me! She has helped me tremendously with my MS. I will soon be my 1st anniversary of being diagnosed. I have learned I can't do what I used to but I can work up to more endurance and learned I must have more "Patents". We can push ourselves with MS, but we are in control of it and we have to learn what our boundaries are... take it slow. Staying positive is also important. Its tuff some days but... you can do it!!:laugh: :smile: Everyday is a struggle but we have to work with it and not against it!:heart::flowerforyou: