Help with breakfast! Steel cut oat recipes desired

Options
2»

Replies

• bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats have been a long term staple for us for breakfast. Like others suggest, we make up several days worth in one batch, pop it in the fridge, then just heat what we want each morning. We like to add cinnamon, blueberries, chopped walnuts and almond or oat milk, sometimes a little yogurt or kefir. Making the oats ahead in one batch saves a lot of time and clean up.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why eat steel cut oats? They all have the same macros. They're all complex carbs. They're all processed. My opinion they're too much of a pain to cook. I eat oats every morning and have been for 2 yrs. I take a cup of old fashioned rolled oats. 1 cup of milk or substitute cook in microwave for 2:00. Put 1 scoop (30g) of vanilla protein powder 1 cup of frozen strawberries and some strawberry sweetener. Take it to work and eat it or prep it the night before and let it set in the fridge over night. Have it first thing in the morning. Very good. Oatmeal is versatile I've got soooooo many recipes
    Are macros the only consideration?

Depending on the ingredients u use. The proats I make are around 550-600 cal around 12g fat, 75g carb, 50g protein

? I always consider my macros. Lol

Is that THE ONLY THING people should consider?

If you're monitoring your calories and care about having balance in your meal plan then YES you could consider paying attention to your macros. Otherwise how would you know what you're eating? But, if you're just worried about staying within a calorie range then it doesn't really matter. I make sure I have the proper amount of protein to repair muscle fibers after hypertrophy training, I make sure to have an optimal amount of healthy fats for proper hormone balance and have simple/complex carbs for fuel while staying within my caloric surplus range for growth

You are missing the point. Repeatedly. And completely.

How about taste, texture, appearance, satiety, other factors than macros? Do you/should people also consider those?
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really like oats. We used to feed them to work horses and mules , they must work. (((;
    I make up a bulk mixture from E@rthf@re of.
    1.5 C. Steel cut oats
    1.5 C Bulgar wheat
    1C Buckwheat Groats
    1C Barley. Just plain Steel cut oats would do fine.
    For a three day portion , pour ICup of this mix to 2.25C boiling water in a little iron pot and simmer for about 5 min. Cover the pot let cool and refrigerate. It will soak up all the water.
    After cooking your 1 cup of mix becomes 3Cups of cooked oats .
    I eat one cup (160calories or so )of the cooked mix with .25c.Raisons for breakfast. If I'm going for a ride later I add 2 tbs. ground peanuts or peanut butter.
    One of the few breakfasts I can eat and get on a bike and go for a ride without upset stomach.
    Scotsmen eat oats. England feeds oats to horses.
    England has the best horses. Scotland has the best men.
    And there you have it. -)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I made steel cut oats ONCE. I don't have patience for that. But I made it with hard boiled egg, red cabbage, tomato, and salt I believe and loved it.
    If I'm going to have them i put them on low, go have my shower, get dressed, and boom, they are ready. Not hard at all.

I don't have time to shower in the morning. 20 minutes to get out the door. I don't even make coffee at home.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why eat steel cut oats? They all have the same macros. They're all complex carbs. They're all processed. My opinion they're too much of a pain to cook. I eat oats every morning and have been for 2 yrs. I take a cup of old fashioned rolled oats. 1 cup of milk or substitute cook in microwave for 2:00. Put 1 scoop (30g) of vanilla protein powder 1 cup of frozen strawberries and some strawberry sweetener. Take it to work and eat it or prep it the night before and let it set in the fridge over night. Have it first thing in the morning. Very good. Oatmeal is versatile I've got soooooo many recipes

Depending on the ingredients u use. The proats I make are around 550-600 cal around 12g fat, 75g carb, 50g protein

If you're monitoring your calories and care about having balance in your meal plan then YES you could consider paying attention to your macros. Otherwise how would you know what you're eating? But, if you're just worried about staying within a calorie range then it doesn't really matter. I make sure I have the proper amount of protein to repair muscle fibers after hypertrophy training, I make sure to have an optimal amount of healthy fats for proper hormone balance and have simple/complex carbs for fuel while staying within my caloric surplus range for growth

Is it THE ONLY THING people should consider?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I made steel cut oats ONCE. I don't have patience for that. But I made it with hard boiled egg, red cabbage, tomato, and salt I believe and loved it.
    If I'm going to have them i put them on low, go have my shower, get dressed, and boom, they are ready. Not hard at all.

I don't have time to shower in the morning. 20 minutes to get out the door. I don't even make coffee at home.

Bummer. Crock pot version on the weekend?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

How about taste, texture, appearance, satiety, other factors than macros? Do you/should people also consider those?

YES!! and micronutrients: vitamins, minerals, (and our friend FIBER!)

and smell lol
  • ltvrdik
    Options
    8hn8x14lcskz.jpg

I add blueberries as well.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I do like the others, make up the 1c oats/4 c water batch. I usually just do it when I am cooking dinner. After cooking for 30 minutes I let it sit on the stove with the lid on so that it absorbs the rest if the water that it didn't during the cooking time. This makes 4 servings for me.

In the morning I portion it out and splash a little almond milk on it. Microwave for 2 mins and add cinnamon and sweetener. I love the texture and it holds me until lunch. The oats with a glass of milk are less than 300 calories "spent" on breakfast, which I love since I like to eat the bulk of my calories later in the day.

I hate rolled oats. They taste like cardboard and don't satisfy me.
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Haha... Sorry, got it. Simple one track minded here. The individual should consider whatever makes them happy in life. Go with what you like and factor in the health. Take everything into account.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Haha... Sorry, got it. Simple one track minded here. The individual should consider whatever makes them happy in life. Go with what you like and factor in the health. Take everything into account.
    Cheers

• ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify one thing that nobody else mentioned... There's absolutely no reason why not eating breakfast is bad. If you're not hungry in the morning/don't like eating breakfast, you really don't have to. Meal timing is all about personal preference! :)