Scaleaholics Anonymous

Options
I am Curvybird75 and I am a scaleaholic

I can't help but notice as I read through posts the amount of times people are weighing themselves a week, and in some cases a day! As a recovering scale lover (daily) I have made the decision since joining here 3 days ago to restrict myself to weighing weekly, same day, same time, same clothes etc etc and I feel so much more motivated during this week not getting on those devil scales ever morning!!

I went on mine to see if my good behaviour had paid off, and if it hadn't I was down on myself for the rest of the day, not a healthy relationship at all, it was so demotivating!! I've also heard that stress can stop you from losing weight, and as the stress of not losing daily was killing me, I decided I needed to kick the habit!!!

I keep you posted on how it goes!!

What's your relationship with the scales and why?

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm a scaleaholic!

I do weigh myself daily, and there are days that it doesn't move or has gone up. Ya it discouraged me a bit, but I kept on going, and then the scale started going down again. I promised myself that no matter what the number showed me, it was just a number and that it was how I felt that counts. I've had many friends tell me they can see that I have lost the weight and that is good enough for me!
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in about a year and have only just come back on here. I used to weigh myself daily as I kinda got a bit addicted to it. I am very slowly trying to get back in to this and know that I need to take it slowly. So my relationship atm is non existent but I know that I will need to be careful when I get back on!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I don't own one, I dont' want to own one, and I never will own one.

My mother suffered from eating disorders because she was addicted to the scale, so we never had them around,

The only times I weight myself is when I go in for a doctors appointment or things like that..

It holds no value to me except to tell me how much my mass weighs, It doesn' t tell me if I have done good this week, it doesn't tell me if I gained muscle, it doesn't tell me if I lost fat. It doesn't tell me if my cardiovascular system is improving from all my cardio work, it doesn't tell me if I have lost inches.

The scale is like a really bad friend or relative, one that always comments on my weight, always tells me how fat I am and how much futher I have to go.

Okay Im done. lol I am so passionate about scale issues! lol
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a great relationship with my scale. It's digital and the battery is dying so every time I step on, it tells me my weight is "Lo". I try to step on as often as possible now. Every time I do it makes me feel great about myself. It's probably been 3 weeks or so since I actually got my real weight. I feel great though.
  • TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly. Every Sunday morning, after my AM workout!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Scaleaholic here! I USED to weight myself 2x a day, but now only weigh once. lol. I really like it, though, because it helps me to stay motivated throughout the day. If I'm up, I eat better because I want it to go down. If I'm down, I eat better because I want it to go down further. The only time I get discouraged is if I don't weigh for a while and don't lose. That for me is worse than weighing the same thing every day for a long period of time. I think everyone is different. Good luck with your plan! :flowerforyou:
  • Jenhal71
    Jenhal71 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have 2 scales in my house; one upstairs in the master bath and the other on the main floor. I weigh myself every morning on the one upstairs and I weigh myself everytime I pass the one thats on the main floor. I know how bad it is for my self esteem...I've asked my husband many times to hide the main floor scale so I won't be able to weigh myself on it so often. FINALLY he hid that damn scale this weekend and I feel soooo much better. I still have the scale upstairs, but I'm not as tempted by it for some reason...and if I decide that I just NEED to weigh myself I'll have to go up the stairs (thereby getting a tiny bit more exercise) to do it. Hopefully, this will take away some of my stress????
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    I also weigh myself daily. I think I do it to remind myself how heavy I am and how far I have to go.
    I do enjoy when the scale goes down but because of my weight, I think I hate all the numbers I see.
    I think I am also scared if I dont weigh myself I will just give up and eat whatever I want, at least that is what I have done in the past.
  • ImBabyBunny
    ImBabyBunny Posts: 75
    Options
    Good job!

I personally feel more motivated if I have to weigh in every day. I made a horrible habit in the past of saying to myself ''Your not weighing yourself tomorrow soooo go ahead and eat the Blabbitty bla bla!''

These days ...I know It dose make me feel a little down in the dumps not seeing results everyday...or even higher numbers...but it motivates me to eat better, workout harder...and keep my eyes on the prize knowing I have a date with the scale come morning!
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't own a set of scales, I use my Wii fit to work out how much I have lost or gained. I used to do it daily but found myself getting too disappointed when I had worked so hard and put on a few pounds so now I am doing it weekly.
  • Jenhal71
    Jenhal71 Posts: 10
    Options
    Love your view on the scale!! I can only hope to get to that place someday!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Same issue and my challenge this week is to not step on one for 2 weeks. I only own one actually because I needed my weight for the HRM. I wasn't even sure what my weight was when I joined here. I just assumed it was what I weighed at the doctor's office a few months ago. I think it's good to be able to step on the scale with confidence but not so good to be obssessed. It should be how you feel you have done and how healthy you are being.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself really sporadically. Sometimes, I can go days without doing it, other days I will do it 2x a day. It all depends on how good/bad I was in a day. If I ate taco Bell all day, I'd weigh myself more. I think I'm interested to see how fast I gain from bad food.
    I have a fancy scale that remembers your last weight and will just tell you 'Down .8lbs' or 'Up .5lbs'
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. That sounds like a lot, but I USED to weigh myself multiple times a day - after I ate, after I used the bathroom, once with clothes and once without clothes, before I went to bed at night, after I worked out, after I worked out again (in case I had gained weight...) DEFINITELY after I ate something that had unknown calories in it so I couldn't count them obsessively, etc.

So yeah, it might be a lot to weigh msyelf every morning, but it's a lot LOT less than it used to be. :) And my mood doesn't ride on what the scale says. :wink:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    When I was in losing mode, I ONLY weighed on Monday mornings at the same time and recorded that weight and that is what I mentally worked from all week. Now that I am in maintenance, I tend to weight if not every day, at least every other day (but cannot even imagine weighing more than once a day!!!). I feel a need to weigh more often so that I don't allow myself to start gaining and get back in my original bad shape!
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I must have a major problem! I weigh myself 3 times a day! Morning, after workout, before bed. I don't ever get discouraged, I know I'm not going lose weight everytime I get on it but LOVE to see that number go down!
  • allymorin
    Options
    i weight myself all the time. i'll get up in the morning and weigh myself, then pee and weight myself right after, in the evening , at night , it doesn't matter. i need to stop but i'm just being so impatient and curious with my weight! it's actually my parents' scale and i'm going to go buy one soon. :$
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I must have a major problem! I weigh myself 3 times a day! Morning, after workout, before bed. I don't ever get discouraged, I know I'm not going lose weight everytime I get on it but LOVE to see that number go down!

I do the same thing...but only big jumps over a day or so (like +2 over night) weird me out a bit, even then i know it's only temporary. Thank goodness!
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, but I found my mood and how I felt about myself was dictated by what the scales said in the morning. Now I try to weigh in once a week, usually first thing on a Monday morning so I don't get tempted to overindulge too much over the weekend. I feel like I see more of a shift that way, which keeps me more motivated to keep going.