Gardening

Options

Replies

• joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @daymonalisa‌ If you go to the top right of your screen, there's three little icons...a bell, a star, and a gear. If you click the bell (Notifications) then click "All Notifications", then on the next screen click "Replies", you can see any thread you've replied to. Also, you can bookmark a thread by clicking the white star at the top of the thread. Then if you go to the bell, then click "Notification Preferences" at the top, you can check off "Notify me when people reply to my bookmarked discussions" so you will be alerted to replies on threads you are following.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I grow various kinds of tomatoes, cumcumbers, banana peppers, red onions, string beans, beets, bell peppers and an assorment of herbs in the summer. Rite now I have 2 feet a snow covering my yard and can't wait for the summer to start so I can get planting.

A good balanced soil and alot of sun and water for a good vegetable garden.
  • kristophersgirl06012013
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I live in the country and love to garden! We do pumpkins, watermelon, zucchini, sweet corn, green and red peppers, green beans, strawberries,yellow potatoes, jalapeño peppers, red yellow and red onions (we utilize all the onion) lettuce, spinach, rhubarb, asparagus, last year we grabbed a salad mix seeds, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, and beef steak tomatoes. We also have grape vines, apple trees, pear tree, tart cherry tree, peach trees, and blackberries. There is another berry small like tree but can't remember what it is. I love when spring is here!
  • We also save anything for compost. We till up the land and use the compost and mix with fertilizer and till a second time to add the nutrients. Due to raccoons and possums we have our garden fenced in. The only problem we had was them getting into my corn so we fenced around my corn and topped over it. It helped wonders. Our major issue is potato beetles. How do I help keep these off my plants, besides picking each off and swishing them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    We also save anything for compost. We till up the land and use the compost and mix with fertilizer and till a second time to add the nutrients. Due to raccoons and possums we have our garden fenced in. The only problem we had was them getting into my corn so we fenced around my corn and topped over it. It helped wonders. Our major issue is potato beetles. How do I help keep these off my plants, besides picking each off and swishing them.

Chickens will eat them.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to flower garden but I LOATH vegetable gardening. As a kid I grew up super poor on a dairy farm. We always had milk and meat to eat but couldn't afford to go to the grocery store so our diet had to be supplemented by whatever we could grow in a garden. We had a huge garden that I would have to tend to all the damn time in the summer. I pulled so many weeds I swear my hands are still stained green! We would can and freeze everything we could. Now I am an adult and I refuse to can or freeze anything...I will buy it from the store or a farmers market.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I can lift for hours, cardio for hours, I garden for 10 mins and I am done and over with and ready for bed. My hat off to all of you
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    NCServant wrote: »
    Saw some comments about rabbits and here is something that has worked for me for years. Take a bar of the most fragrant soap you can buy and tie it to a stake every 5 yards around the perimeter of the garden.

The rabbits associate the odor with people and in 20 years I have seen rabbits in our yard frequently and never had one to eat any plants EVER or even seen one in the garden.

We use no other prevention method for animals around our garden.

Unfortunately the rabbits around my house aren't that afraid of people. I can get pretty darn close to them -- maybe a yard away -- before they hop away.

I know first hand that moth balls are no deterrent to rabbits. I'd place one ball at the base of each plant and in the morning, the plants were chewed and all the moth balls were lying outside the garden. It looked like them durn bunnies were kicking them out like soccer balls. I'd put the moth balls back and the next morning, the plants were chewed some more and the moth balls were outside the garden again. Curses!!! :grimacing:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first house this last summer. Can't wait to start a garden although i have no clue where to start.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    joflo723 wrote: »
    @daymonalisa‌ If you go to the top right of your screen, there's three little icons...a bell, a star, and a gear. If you click the bell (Notifications) then click "All Notifications", then on the next screen click "Replies", you can see any thread you've replied to. Also, you can bookmark a thread by clicking the white star at the top of the thread. Then if you go to the bell, then click "Notification Preferences" at the top, you can check off "Notify me when people reply to my bookmarked discussions" so you will be alerted to replies on threads you are following.

Thank you SO much for this! I will be a part of discussions a lot more often now, I think. :)
  • MonaLisaLianne
    Options
    I planted several types of hot peppers last year. When the frost was near, I potted several and brought them into the house. Some I placed in my basement, because I read they'd go dormant and could be take outside in the spring. Others I have in my bright family room. So far all of them seem to be surving pretty well.

I learned how to do fermentation pickling and have several jars of delicious pickled hot peppers in my fridge now, as well as fermented ("half-sour") pickles I've made. Going to try fermented dill green beans next and maybe ginger beer. I've never done any canning but might have to learn how.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Saw some comments about rabbits and here is something that has worked for me for years. Take a bar of the most fragrant soap you can buy and tie it to a stake every 5 yards around the perimeter of the garden.

The rabbits associate the odor with people and in 20 years I have seen rabbits in our yard frequently and never had one to eat any plants EVER or even seen one in the garden.

Unfortunately the rabbits around my house aren't that afraid of people. I can get pretty darn close to them -- maybe a yard away -- before they hop away.

I know first hand that moth balls are no deterrent to rabbits. I'd place one ball at the base of each plant and in the morning, the plants were chewed and all the moth balls were lying outside the garden. It looked like them durn bunnies were kicking them out like soccer balls. I'd put the moth balls back and the next morning, the plants were chewed some more and the moth balls were outside the garden again. Curses!!! :grimacing:

Are moth balls safe to put around food??
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I just bought my first house this last summer. Can't wait to start a garden although i have no clue where to start.

Check out www.motherearthnews.com It might seem a little overwhelming at first, but there is a lot of good information on there. And good forums for asking questions.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    Options
    I wouldn't want moth ball chemicals near my food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't want moth ball chemicals near my food.

Me either. I've heard of people putting them around the perimeter of the garden, but I doubt it's safe to put near the plants. Even around the perimeter I'd be afraid of runoff. I'll stick with a fence.
  • galtex
    Options
    Was thinking about changing out a little area in my backyard for a garden this year. Looking foward to woking in the yard again. Waiting for DayLight Saving Time B)
  • racheljacobsen
    racheljacobsen Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    We had an awesome garden this past summer. We were freezing (we had to invest in another freezer just for our produce) and canning pretty much every single weekend. This year we are going to invest in grow lamps and start things in the basement. We tried it last year but with the absence of grow lamps it was rather difficult. We got a lot of our veggies from this guy that we dub the "Crazy Tomato Guy" and he told us how to plant our stuff and did it ever grow! Basically you want to dig a hole (duh lol). Fill it up with cow manure. Put in a scoop of garden tone, a scoop of alfalfa pellets, dirt, put the plant in and cover it up. We did this with all our vegetables and when those roots hit the manure they took off! We used all heirloom seeds in our garden and unfortunately we were a bit late in harvesting the seeds. Most of the items we didn't know HOW to harvest. This year I will do more research and figure out how to harvest them to replant. We lost tomatoes to a baby bunny who only nibbled on the ones closest to the ground that were ripe. We didn't use any pesticides or the like and didn't have any issues with bugs. I think the fact that we planted marigolds around the perimeter of the garden helped.

2oo26bz03sh2.jpg

These were our tomatoes:

w01n7ia8li85.jpg

We had a ton of stuff:

Tomatoes
    Lettuce -- romaine, spinach, red leaf and green leaf
    Carrots
    Beets
    Potatoes
    Leeks
    Green onions
    White onions
    Kale
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Peppers -- lots of different kinds, hot, mild, bell
    Squash - regular yellow and patty pan (which is an awesome squash!)
    Zucchini
    Eggplant - two different kinds again. Regular and some funky kind that I think is called Japanese eggplant
    Cucumbers

I think that's it. We had so many tomatoes I was canning a few times a week. We made a ton of tomato sauce with them since that's what we end up doing any way, canned a bunch, froze all our cherry tomatoes for use in soups and stews.

This year we are expanding the garden and plan on growing corn (hopefully we can find non-GMO corn), making a nice herb garden, and a few other items that are big and/or viney and come back every year. I'm actually getting excited about it!

Try roasting the tomatoes in the oven. I did this last year and they are my new favorite way to preserve tomatoes. They are AMAZING and have such a sweet deep tomato flavor. They freeze well too. I put them in my salads instead of fresh and this year I am going to try them as a bruschetta topping. I mostly used big slicing tomatoes but I think they would work with any, just have to experiment.

Slice the tomatoes in thick slices and crush garlic cloves maybe 3-4 a tray
    Sprinkle with olive oil and a little bit of salt and spread them out on a foiled cookie sheet
    Roast for a long time (I used my convection roast mode and maybe cooked them for 2 hours give or take) until most of the water comes out and they turn dark brown, I like them almost black

To freeze, lay them out on a cookie in a single layer so they don't all stick together on wax paper (my cookie sheets are so old I always cover them) and place in freezer until frozen then place in a ziplock bag (similar to freezing blueberries).
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Apparently the bunnies didn't think so! :smirk:
  • MonaLisaLianne
    Options

Apparently the bunnies didn't think so! :smirk:

LOLOL! good point. =)

• annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm a total veggie growing lover. lol. I can't imagine not having a garden. Food just tastes incredibly better when they are home grown. Love that if I want a salad, I can just pick it from my yard.