How do you cook & store your hard-boiled eggs?

Options
keenercam
keenercam Posts: 321 Member
I learned a couple years ago what became for me a fail-proof method of hard-boiling eggs:
Bring eggs to room temperature
Put them in the bottom of the pot (I put enough so that they don't move around)
Cover completely with cold water
Cook over high heat until the water boils
Reduce temperature to simmer and cook additional 12 minutes
Remove from heat, remove as much water as possible without cracking the eggs
Cover with cold water and a layer of ice (this stops the cooking and keeps yolks yellow)
Once cooled, refrigerate
Recently, I've noticed that the hard-boiled eggs are not lasting as long in the fridge. Sometimes, the white has become mushy and sticky. I've thrown those HB eggs away to avoid anything that might be going bad.

Any suggestions on prolonging the life on the eggs? Should I do something different in the cooking method? Should they be stored a certain way? Peel them before putting them in the fridge?

Replies

• KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I steam them for 20-22 minutes, then store them in the fridge. They never last long though, 2 days max. We get our eggs from the laying hens in our back yard, and this is the only way I've been able to 'hard-boil' them without craters when they are peeled. It's not so much a problem with store-bought eggs, because the ones in the store are usually a couple weeks old already. I try to eat any leftovers in my fridge within 3 days though, so maybe just do smaller batches at a time?
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I cook a dozen at a time pretty much the same method you are using and haven't had many issues. I did find that peeling them while still warm and then keeping them in a ziploc in the fridge helped me as far as convenience. Never had any get mushy or discolored. A dozen last 3 or 4 days in my house.
  • jesjastaylor1
    jesjastaylor1 Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can bake eggs in a muffin tin.
    Preheat oven to 325
    Cook for 30min
    Then put in a bowl of ice for 10 min
    Then you have 12 eggs ready to peel and eat. ☺
    I saw it on Pinterest.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I cook all my HB eggs for the week on Sunday and peel them. Package them in sandwich bags (4 each) and thats it. Haven't had a problem yet.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I cook all my HB eggs for the week on Sunday and peel them. Package them in sandwich bags (4 each) and thats it. Haven't had a problem yet.

this is what I do, I peel them then store them. I'd say they last 4 to 6 days, I haven't had a problem with my "friday eggs" that I did on sunday
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reassurance about peeling them. I'll try that with the batch I cook this Sunday. Oh, and I LOVE the idea of cooking them in the oven. I'll research that further - not sure if I have to put water in the muffin tin? Or spray with non-stick before putting the egg in there?