Losing motivation to keep trying :/

Options
Bexx005
Bexx005 Posts: 31 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
I've been watching what I eat and exercising regularly since last January. I'm 5'2" and i weighed 185 lbs which is the most I have ever weighed. Over time I went from a size 12 pants to size 8 that are loose. I also went down to a medium size shirt. I was feeling great until I went for a doctor visit and was told I only lost 15 lbs. I was crushed. I thought I made so much progress. Has this happened to anyone and if so how did you encourage yourself to keep going?

Replies

• Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    15 lbs on a small frame like us, (I'm 5'3) will make a big difference! You are losing weight and doing great. Slow and steady is fine, especially if you don't quit! Don't look at the scale as an important way to track. A size 8 pant is a good size. Please keep at it!
  • teswanso
    Options
    And don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat. So if you're gaining muscle but losing fat the scale won't reflect that change as quickly as your clothes will :) And gaining muscle is good! It burns more calories during time at low activity levels resulting in more daily calorie burn bang for your buck. Keep it up and try to find joy in the journey!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've had some positive changes with your body! Hey, you're in single digit sizes now! Go you! :D Also, don't forget that we have weight fluctuations on a regular basis, especially us ladies. You might have been retaining water that day at the doctor's. Don't let one disappointing weigh in stop you because you're doing an awesome job!
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Remember weight isn't everything its just a number, it how you look, feel in clothes which you haven't worn before or for a long while. Ask yourself do I feel & look good?. Which from what I can see it must a YES!!!!.

What drives me is changing my lifestyle for the better, having poeple look at me when I walk into a room and think he's a bit fat, but check that guy out bet he works out lol.

But most of all enjoy it, and have a laugh with it when you can, and we are all on here to help and motivate where we can, and I am happy to help.
  • Bexx005
    Options
    Thanks for easing my mind :) from reading these posts I should probably just focus more on how clothes fit rather then numbers on a scale. I also just bought a fit bit a few days ago so hopefully this will keep everything in perspective for me when I'm having a rough day. Thanks so much for the support!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Bexx005 wrote: »
    Thanks for easing my mind :) from reading these posts I should probably just focus more on how clothes fit rather then numbers on a scale. I also just bought a fit bit a few days ago so hopefully this will keep everything in perspective for me when I'm having a rough day. Thanks so much for the support!

Great attitude!
    Sounds like you're going to do just fine.
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    she is NOT gaining muscle if she's eating at a deficit.

To get an exact measurement of what the breaking point is between a surplus and deficit is almost impossible. What we think our deficit is could be way off unless we are tracking every step we take during the day and weighing our food. So her idea of a deficit could actually be a surplus. All that matters is that she is on the right track.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Did you actually weigh yourself between when you started and your doctor's visit? It sounds like the number was a "surprise" for you, rather than you're not making progress, because size 12 to loose size 8 is a serious amount of progress. If you don't like the nasty weight surprise, why not weigh yourself every day or week or month?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    why is the pounds quantity more important than dropping 4 sizes and feeling great?
  • AZHeatMomma5
    AZHeatMomma5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Add me let's motivate each other to reach our goals.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I work in a medical office, and I used to weigh myself there regularly, so I know from experience: two scales, if not calibrated the same, can show two completely different weights of the same person. I use my scale at home ONLY to chart my weight. Trust the scale you use regularly above all others to monitor actual weight loss. With everything else you mentioned taken into account, it sounds like you are doing well on your journey.
  • Bexx005
    Options
    Did you actually weigh yourself between when you started and your doctor's visit? It sounds like the number was a "surprise" for you, rather than you're not making progress, because size 12 to loose size 8 is a serious amount of progress. If you don't like the nasty weight surprise, why not weigh yourself every day or week or month?
    I think I've realized that it isn't always about the number on the scale, as long as I am feeling great and making progress it shouldn't really matter.Today I was able to wear my size 6 jeans that I haven't been able to fit into for 3 years now. I'll probably just stick to clothing sizes and put less emphasis on the numbers on the scale. Progress is progress :)
  • suky7
    suky7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd be pleased about losing the 15lbs plus dropping 2 dress sizes as a major achievement!! i'd be over the moon if i was a size 8! Well done and keep it up, we all have the days where the goal seems unrealistic but the weight creeps up slowly so losing it will take just as long..
  • smartblond9684
    smartblond9684 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Remember that the scale doesn't show you if you are losing fat and gaining muscle. About 2 weeks ago, I was feeling exactly as you are. I only lost 2 pounds...how could that be after 5 weeks?!?! But then, I took my progress pictures and there was a quite noticeable difference in my appearance...that became my motivation...to see my progress in pictures rather than the number on the scale!! Now, I can't wait to see the difference when I take my next set of pictures. I also take regular measurements which show that I am losing inches. Fifteen pounds is AMAZING progress!!! You can't be upset about any progress, no matter how small!!! Keep pushing girl, you are doing great!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That is a good loss though. Make sure you are logging foods accurately (by weighing them to know how much you really have) and following your plan, keep working out... going from a 12 to an 8 is great! Slower loss keeps you from having loose saggy skin. It's all right, don't give up, just tune up your routine if necessary so that you are doing things correctly for what you weigh now. :)
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    at 170lb (185-15) and 5'2". Wearing a size 6 is amazing! At my 5'6 and 150lb I can barely squeese into an 8. Maybe the scale was off?
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If your doctor uses one of those old fashioned scales, it could be off by a lot. Size 12 to Size 8 is a significant loss. Be proud of it and keep going! Lately, I noticed some older people that didn't take good care of themselves and I don't want to end up like that.
  • Didi_91
    Didi_91 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, at 150 pounds and wear a size 10. So you should be proud of yourself and not your weight.. I wish I could go down to an 8 like you.
  • fonzie344
    fonzie344 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I have been experimenting with eating regimens and what seems to work consistently is low carb metabolism manipulation thus tricking your body to lose weight quickly and safely. In simple terms, eat mainly protein type foods for 3 days and only veggies or salad for carb intake. Day 4 - eat protein and any type of carbs but do not eat carbs after 5pm. Repeat low carb regimen Day 5,6,7

To summarize, eat low carbs for 3 days, carb up on day 4, repeat low carbs day 5,6,7. If you feel moody or hungry, eat a few tablespoons of peanut butter, peanuts, cashews as the fat content will curb your appetite. The first few low carb days will be challenging but after day 4 you will adjust to this eating pattern and will lose weight. Just stay focused and envision your ideal "Look" and you will become how you picture yourself. All the best, GF