eating 1800 calories really??

Options
Does anyone else have a problem eating 1800 calories a day thats not including work out calories burned? I'm having a hard time finding good food to eat to at least eat my 1800 calories. I started at 1550 and since moved up and lost more weight.... I do feel sometime's I force my self to eat even though I'm not hungry to try and get to the 1800 calorie mark it's very rare..but most of the time I can't stop eating I stay hungry but I want to eat good food not garbage and now a days it's really easy to grab a ready made meal out of the frozen food section and pop it into the microwave. I can't fathom eating another 500plus calories after I excerise at least not right now.. I do know when i added more calories to my diet I drop 5lbs pretty fast I think thats why I havn't lost any more weight due to less calorie intake..what do you think?

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    A lot of people actually find they have problems getting enough calories in when they switch to healthier foods. Some good ways to add calories without feeling overstuffed:

Snack on Nuts
    Add Olive Oil when cooking
    Switch to (or back to) higher or full fat cheeses, condiments, milk, etc.

Sometimes it's easier to drink calories:
    Fruit juice (with pulp if the option is available)
    Fruit smoothies
    Protein shakes
    Fruit/Protein smoothies
  • sreimer07
    sreimer07 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I constantly have this issue!
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've had breakfast and lunch so far today and I still only have eaten like 500 calories, my net is around 200. Don't worry about that number, eat when you're hungry and don't go over that 1800.
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    I love whole milk but I stopped drinking it because of the fat i also eat almonds too throught the day I eat a ton of fruit but it just isn't enough.
  • baisleac
    Options
    I love whole milk but I stopped drinking it because of the fat i also eat almonds too throught the day I eat a ton of fruit but it just isn't enough.

Fat is not the enemy.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I have 1300 calories to eat in a day without exercise (those days don't happen often) but I still have trouble eating all those calories consistently. Go back to the whole milk, that fat is not going to kill you and it will help you deal with the sugars in the milk, too. What are your ratios? Fruit is great and sometimes nutritious but it has a lot of sugar, I'd be more worried about that then some naturally occurring fat.

When I started at this threshold of calories my trainer said until you get used to eating this much, do whatever it takes to get all the calories in, even if it means eating ice cream and cookies. But now, two months later he expects me to know enough to make good choices throughout the day and not get to the point where it's 9:00 at night and I've 800 calories to eat. If convenience is the issue for you, try protein shakes and bars. I'm not a fan of processed foods as a rule, but Clif Builder Bars are easy to tote around and convenient, they have 270 calories and 20 grams of protein which works well for me.

if you're not too full, try eating bigger meals and heartier snacks. Finally, if you're full on what you're eating now, and you're losing weight regularly, and you're not having trouble with blood sugars or energy levels then I would question whether 1800 calories is what you need?
  • jeepzilla
    Options
    i just opened my dairy to everyone you can take a look if you like..
  • baisleac
    Options
    First thing I saw that I would get rid of... meal replacement shakes. You need real food. Supplements should be just that, supplemental.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thats my 1st thought too- definitely need to start having real food at lunch. If time is an issue it might be worth cooking/preparing a whole load of healthy lunches at the weekend and freezing them/sticking them in the fridge so you can still just grab and run in the morning. eg. soups, grilled chicken and couscous, tuna salad etc etc
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Eat more lean protein. Protein has more calories then fruits and vegetable. I did not see a good amount of meat or protein in your diary (if you are a vegetarian I am sorry)! :) Great adive I receive last week from someone else was to have meals be planned around my protein. This has helped in adding more calories and more protein.
    Also, try some whole grains; complex carbs; those too have higher calories and have higher levels of nutrional values.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    HEALTHY fats aren't bad for you and are very calorie-dense. Foods like nuts, avocado, olive oil are good at lowering your cholesterol and are 9 calories per gram, as opposed to protein and carbs which are 4 calories per gram.

It's OK to eat 20-30% of your calories as fat, as long as your saturated fat is less than 1/3 of your total fat and you have no trans fat.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the others... I'd get rid of the meal replacement shakes. Your body needs REAL FOOD. If you do a little prep work on the weekends or the night before, it's not difficult to get real nutrition.

For example, in the grocery service deli, they have rotisserie chickens and roast turkey breasts. Get a turkey breast, and slice it all up (I store mine in a gallon zip lock baggie). Then you just have to weigh out your serving in the morning when you're packing your lunch. Veggies come pre-cleaned (bags of carrots, sugar snap peas and/or broccoli). Weigh some out and pack some of those in your lunch too. Yesterday, I sliced up 4 mangos to store in the fridge for lunches this week. Total prep time for cutting up the turkey and mangos-- about 20 minutes yesterday, and I have lunch covered for 5 days. Total time throwing it all together in my lunch sack this morning -- 5 minutes.

Take the time to plan ahead. You'll be happier and fuller in the long run.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    As a man you should never eat below 1500 minimum for more than a day or 2. You don't have to eat more food to eat more calories, just change what you are eating to more calories dense foods.

Try having nuts, seeds, or dehydrated fruit as a snack. Add olive oil to soups and sauces. Add avocado to sandwiches and salads. Eat higher fat version of products that you already eat such as milk, cheese, yogurt, salad dressings, etc. have a glass of juice in place of 1 glass of water.
    Edited by erickirb on Thu 05/05/11 12:03 PM

This was posted on a previous post and I think this makes a lot of sense. It's not about eating more food- just more calories. Good luck!
  • topazzzoe
    topazzzoe Posts: 12
    Options
    I think you need to balance your meals more and add lean protein. I would try to up the calories at breakfast to around 300-400, and add a protein to keep you going longer. I also think you might just be over limiting yourself, just up your portion size a little and it will put you right where you need to be.
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i see you eat instant oatmeal in the mornings? me too, but you forgot to add the milk you put in it. lol (unless you use water) anyway, try putting a spoon of peanut butter in the oatmeal... thats what i do and it helps with calories. and not to mention it makes it taste like a no bake oatmeal cookie!! YUM! also, throw in a can or two of tuna. its good for you!!
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this problem! I love to exercise but didn't really think about how much it was taking off my calorie intake until I looked at graph and noticed I was netting negative calories! You might think that is good but it is probably the reason I plateaued! :(
  • jeepzilla
    Options
    I going to try everything I want to get down and I know it is my calorie intake.. I'm on my fifth week of p90x so I know I am working hard plus I run 2to4 miles every other day... thank you thank you thank you everyone for all info if you have anything else don't be shy to put it on here I'm going to change my diet to more lean meat and less meal replacement shakes I do love them because of the protein...
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Two things from checking out your profile and diary:

1) You put on the weight somehow, right? Unless you're very short, I'd say from your pics that you're what, 250? It takes roughly 2500 calories, consistently, to be that size. I know, I was over 250 for a while. My point is that no way in hell is 1800 calories too much to eat. You've been eating that much or more for a while, so don't tell yourself you can't do it - tell yourself it's a joke, it's actually way less than you're used to, and you absolutely CAN do this.

2) Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too little protein in your diet and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many carbs. You aren't an athlete, you don't need 50% of your calories from carbohydrates. I'm guessing you used the MFP default which is fine, and you're down 30lbs so it's obviously working - as caloric deficit does - but it would work way better if you got the protein and fat up and dropped the carbs. Maybe 40/30/30 in some mix.

Some other thoughts:
    * Fat is not the enemy! Unsaturated fats are good for you!
    * Protein is not the enemy either. At a protein deficit, your body can and will go after existing muscle tissue for its daily protein needs meaning you will actually get weaker over time.
    * Since you brought up milk: milk is spectacular for both weight loss and weight gain due to the mixture of macronutrients and rapid (liquid) delivery system.
  • baisleac
    Options
    I going to try everything I want to get down and I know it is my calorie intake.. I'm on my fifth week of p90x so I know I am working hard plus I run 2to4 miles every other day... thank you thank you thank you everyone for all info if you have anything else don't be shy to put it on here I'm going to change my diet to more lean meat and less meal replacement shakes I do love them because of the protein...

If you love the shakes... keep them. Just have them in addition to regular meals... that will bump up your calories right there. :smile: I love my chocolate strawberry protein/smoothies, but don't get them unless I do a serious exercise session (shorter, female = fewer calories... dagnabit.:grumble: ) LOL.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Another thought and a big topic of discussion here is to have a big glass of chocolate milk after your workouts (that'll add a couple of hundred calories right there).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/198864-chocolate-milk-after-workout?hl=chocolate+milk+after+workout#posts-2630157