Wine...I can't seem to give it up

Options
Is anyone out there having a hard time giving up Wine? for me its shiraz and it doesn't stop at 1 glass...any suggestions for me? Help...

Replies

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Either make room for it in your calorie count, or don't keep it in the house at all.

I used to keep a 70-bottle wine rack stocked in my basement. Sold the wine rack and got rid of all the bottles, never looked back.

If you have no off-switch, you either need to not start, or find a way to impose (healthy) limits on yourself.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Stop at 2 glasses. Like most things in life some is beneficial and lots can be damaging.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm not a daily or even weekly drinker - I tend to only drink when I want to get drunk. I prefer Malbec, planning for big calorie days, and Uber.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Stop at 2 glasses. Like most things in life some is beneficial and lots can be damaging.

Pfft if you're stopping at 2 glasses, be sure they're huge glasses!!
  • rand486
    Options

Yes, let's all shame and mock the responsible drinkers in the room, shall we? /s
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I like my wine. I just make room in my calorie count the day I know I am going to have a glass or two.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Malbec. I never want to give it up, I make it fit.

Sometimes it doesn't fit, I log it and move on.

Moderation. B)

sofaking6 wrote: »
    I'm not a daily or even weekly drinker - I tend to only drink when I want to get drunk. I prefer Malbec, planning for big calorie days, and Uber.
    Oh hai! <3
  • bstetson1
    bstetson1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wine is my downfall too. I can account for the calories when tracking but really feel like the wine is what is standing between me and a six pack (of abs not beer). I would love to put it down but struggle as well.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh, you can't give up wine, it's the only thing that's truly worth the calories! I sympathise though, I used to share one bottle of wine every day with my husband. 300 extra cals every evening and it certainly didn't make me reduce what I ate - the opposite, in fact. When I started this whole health thing my husband had been diagnosed with the beginnings of fatty liver disease at the age of 42. I knew the habit was likely helping to send us both to an early grave. So, I decided Friday and Saturday were Unshakeable Wine Nights and I introduced Run for Wine, which is only around 25 mins of running for half a bottle - it has to be worth it! 14 months on I am still managing with replacing the wine with milky cocoa Sunday to Thursday and enjoying Friday and Saturday and my half-bottle. We have a cellar of 500 bottles but I'm OK with ignoring them on non wine days. And, my husband has completely reversed his liver problem!

It's like all the other things - do you want the daily wine or do you want the weight loss? The weight loss is so much better than the wine.

Though, my father is 79 and he has drunk half a bottle of wine pretty much every day for 25 years. He weighs 10 stone ( 140lb) and has no serious health problems.

Anyway, keep at it - these habits feel very hard to break at first but you get used to it.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Even though it has a horrible reputation (thanks to the movie Sideways), I absolutely love merlot. Like you, once I start, I can't stop. So I just drive past the 10 or 11 liquor stores on my way home from work on Fridays and look at them sadly.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

Yes, let's all shame and mock the responsible drinkers in the room, shall we? /s

Sorry, couldn't work out if your comment was serious or tongue in cheek.

If it was serious, there's nothing to be ashamed of by not drinking wine! You are still accepted as a meaningful member of society.

• palwithme
    Options
    BTW...wine has no fat, protein, and very little carbs. Not sure where the 150 calories come from in each glass. Alcohol?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above with Malbec! I would never give up my wine. Learn self control. You either add a couple glasses to your daily calorie goal or you add too many that you cannot afford to have. Up to you.
  • rand486
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    BTW...wine has no fat, protein, and very little carbs. Not sure where the 150 calories come from in each glass. Alcohol?

Yes, it's basically considered a 4th macronutrient, in some schools of thought.

In fact, there's dispute over whether the calories from straight ethanol actually get retained at all, as they don't burn efficiently for energy, but best to track it anyway.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Don't "give up" anything. Try pre-logging the wine you plan to drink and then fit the rest of your meals around it. Have a look at my diary if you want an example.

cheers
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Try making it a wine spritzer with soda water - it will extend the wine without adding extra calories and it will 'slow' your alcohol consumption so you can make better decisions.

Drink a glass of water for every serving of alcohol consumed - it will help prevent hangovers (and the subsequent crappy food choices) and it will help you monitor your intake. When you have to finish your water before you start your next glass of wine, it gives you time to realize that you may not really need/want another.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I agree with sjaplo, don't give it up, just add it to your diary - pre-logging is a great idea and work the rest of your calories around it. You may want to increase some activity or something but trying o give it up won't really fair well for the long run. And who says you'll be drinking this forever, there will come a day when you find something else to take its place.

I had the issue with my coffee, it was the first recipe that I created because I wasn't going to start drinking it black, I like creamer and sugar so that is 74 calories a day that I have to account for EVERYDAY :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have found my tribe in this thread. I have wine every.single.night. I just limit myself and make it fit. If I start with the attitude that I will drink until I feel satisfied I will probably over-indulge, but if I tell myself "you may have two (possibly large) glasses, so you'd best enjoy them" then I slow down and savor each sip. If it has hindered my weight loss, it has been worth it for the preservation of my sanity.
  • clairebelle222
    clairebelle222 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to know that i'm not the only one strugglig...i was also thinking about maybe getting smaller glasses...maybe
  • palwithme
    Options
    I'm so happy to know that i'm not the only one strugglig...i was also thinking about maybe getting smaller glasses...maybe

Whatever works for YOU is what is important.