But I don't like snacks!

Options
So it seems like the general consensus is that you are supposed to eat small meals throughout the day - a reasonable breakfast, lunch and dinner plus two or three small snacks to keep you satisfied and prevent a binge.

I don't really like snacks though - I'd much rather forgo the apple or almonds and use those calories for a bigger or better meal. Is this TERRIBLE for me?

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    No. The "eat small meals" theory is not for everyone. If you don't like to snack, don't. Me, I don't like to snack either because then I end up feeling perpetually hungry throughout the day. It's also highly inconvenient for an active person.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    screw snacks and a million meals a day. EAT WHEN YOU'RE HUNGRY, AVOID WHEN YOU'RE NOT! That is all. :)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a little something inbetween meals to keep your sugars up and metabolism running.... If you keep it small, you'll be ok, and still able to have a 400 calorie dinner!

Edit to add: If you're not hungry, then don't eat though... that's true!
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    no i dont think so. i would rather eat more of the better things too. I hardly ever snack too.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Eating every few hours is what the experts say to do.

Keeps the internal engines fueled up and burning those calories even when you're sitting still.

So, find snacks that you do like. There's healthy websites out there that can help. A snack should typically be around 100 calories and contain some protein. Like an apple with almond butter. Or Greek yogurt and fruit.

If you're making your body wait until meals, you're not doing yourself any favors. You're going against what all of the experts say to do.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's terrible for you - the snacks help people keep from getting too hungry. If you can go from lunch to dinner without starving that's great - provided you're not nibbling unconsciously as you make dinner or choosing something you hadn't intended to because you're planning with a hungry stomach (those are the things I did before adding snacks into my day). We all have different strategies to get through our day, some will work for you and some won't.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In my mind, it's all about whatever works for you! We're all different so different things work for each of us.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do this, everybody's body works in different ways. It helps me because if I eat a snack I don't over eat later in the evening, but if your not having a problem with that then I don't think it's going to effect your weight loss goals. It was very hard for me to eat snacks at first but I got used to it, good luck on your journey!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I am not expert but I think you should do what works for you!

I snack, often and eat low calorie meals, but thats what works for me.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    As long as you still meet your cal goals (as in aim for, not stay way under) and still meet your nutrient goals, eat when you like. Smaller, frequent meals/snacks tend to help blood sugar stay more stable, and can help people stay within their cal goals and prevent crashes and binges - but if you don't have those issues, then do what works for you.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Although it was the done thing to eat several small meals a day, I've read a couple of reports on scientific studies lately which showed in tightly calorie controlled experiments that eating three big meals or six small meals with the same overall calories resulted in absolutely no difference to any weight loss or body composition.

I'd say do what works for you.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    So it seems like the general consensus is that you are supposed to eat small meals throughout the day - a reasonable breakfast, lunch and dinner plus two or three small snacks to keep you satisfied and prevent a binge.

I don't really like snacks though - I'd much rather forgo the apple or almonds and use those calories for a bigger or better meal. Is this TERRIBLE for me?

No, you're on the right track there in my opinion. 5-6 small meals a day. Part of me hates the term "snack". Somehow it implies unhealthy or half-assed food. Eat several small meals a day. You don't need "snacks".
  • wildkiger
    wildkiger Posts: 25
    Options
    I think the "six small meals per day" idea really has to do with the general population's very high carb diet. If you're consuming a lot of carbs, your blood sugar peaks and plummets pretty soon afterwards, so you need another carb/sugars boost. If you're eating a higher protein/lower carb diet, it's a lot more efficiently regulated, so you don't need to eat as often to keep your body going.

I've noticed this in the past couple weeks. I'm following an 80% primal diet, but I've been a bit over on carbs and low on protein in the last few days, and I've really noticed a difference. I can feel the blood sugar peak and plummet, and I am way more hungry and in the mood to snack...which just leads to eating more carbs and going way over a calorie limit.

Just my two cents. To answer the OP's question, no, you are not horrible for not wanting to snack. And it's not necessary if you're fueling your body properly.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I think the "six small meals per day" idea really has to do with the general population's very high carb diet. If you're consuming a lot of carbs, your blood sugar peaks and plummets pretty soon afterwards, so you need another carb/sugars boost. If you're eating a higher protein/lower carb diet, it's a lot more efficiently regulated, so you don't need to eat as often to keep your body going.

I've noticed this in the past couple weeks. I'm following an 80% primal diet, but I've been a bit over on carbs and low on protein in the last few days, and I've really noticed a difference. I can feel the blood sugar peak and plummet, and I am way more hungry and in the mood to snack...which just leads to eating more carbs and going way over a calorie limit.

Just my two cents. To answer the OP's question, no, you are not horrible for not wanting to snack. And it's not necessary if you're fueling your body properly.

It is. Fat and protein = satiety = longer comfortable duration between meals.

As for blood sugar stabilization, that may be a concern if you're a diabetic or a pre-diabetic, but for a normal healthy adult, you don't need to constantly feed your body to "regulate" blood sugar. In fact, all you're doing is raising it on a more continuous basis.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If you are eating healthy, filling meals high in fat protein & fiber there is no need to snack inbetween if you arent hungry
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've never been one for snacking in between meals. I have 3-4 meals a day and if I do have an apple or something it's right after a meal. I don't find I need anything between my meals so why eat if I'm not hungry?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not terrible at all - if you are eating healthy food and feeling good, go for it!