Polar FT7 problems

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
About 2 years ago I bought a Polar FT7 because I started training a lot more than before and wanted to monitor my calorie burns and heart rate etc. I trusted the Polar name so although I didn't look up any reviews before I bought it (spur of the moment decision) I thought I was buying something which would be good quality and reliable.

At first it seemed to work well, but then it stopped picking up my heart rate from time to time, despite changing batteries in both the watch and the strap unit. After a while I stopped trying to use it because it was so unreliable.

I should really have sent it off to be checked/fixed at the time as it was under warranty, but I'd lost my receipt. I then had an accident which meant I couldn't exercise for a very long time and I forgot about the problem with the Polar completely, until I found it during a clear out a couple of weeks ago. I now want to try and get it fixed as it cost me money and given the little use I had from it I feel like I wasted my money.

Has anyone else got one of these or similar which has been problematic and had it fixed? I have emailed Polar and I'm waiting for a reply, but am dubious about how helpful they will be and the cost to fix the unit.

It would be a shame if it doesn't get fixed because it's a tool which can really help keep me motivated in my weight loss journey.

Replies

• alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    When mine won't register my heart rate, I remove the battery, hold your thumbs on both the snaps of the device for a slow count to 10. Leave the battery out for 6 or 7 minutes. Do not rush this. Then it works. I found this info on the polar site after I started having trouble with mine. I had changed all the batteries so I like you I had ruled that out. Works great after reset.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Ok, maybe I'll try that before sending it back to Polar. As I haven't tried to use it for such a long time now the batteries no longer work, but I'll get them both replaced and give that a go. Do you use it regularly now that you've done the reset? It did seem strange that it stopped working properly so soon after buying it but at the time I put it down to overuse because I was using it daily!
  • alasin1derland
    Options
    Yes daily. I run 6km a day 6 days a week with it on and sometimes wear it for stronglifts. I do that 3 times per week. I have had to do the reset on more than one occasion but seems to bring it back no problem. I also wear it for snow shoveling so it definitely gets used a lot. :) Hope the reset works for you too.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Ok great, thanks. At first I found it wasn't so effective for weight training as I was doing a lot of workouts using dumbbells. I also used it for walks as well as cardio workouts on equipment in the gym plus DVDs etc. I hope the reset fixes it as I suspect it wouldn't be so cheap to fix if I have to send it back to Polar.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love mine and don't have too many issues with it. Sometimes when I'm swimming it loses the signal, but I guess some of that is to be expected. In Zumba it works fine, but in kickboxing it sometimes resets itself or loses the signal momentarily. Not sure if the impact of getting kicked by somebody jars the device or what.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For the last couple of days it keep losing the signal...I called Polar they said to wash the strap w/ mild soap then let air dry (They said the strap picks up debris and sweat...etc)...I did that yesterday and today I had no problem...help that helps
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That happened to me and on the advise of a friend on mfp I tightened the strap and haven't had an issue since.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Yes I tried that too at the time (washing it and letting it dry etc.) but that didn't help. I'll get the batteries, try the reset and then if no joy I'll send it back. It's a shame when these things don't work properly, it doesn't seem to happen with other electronics so I don't know why it's so common with this kind of device.
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with mine. Quick slightly off topic question, Who has used their during swimming? I have started doing shallow water fitness and id like to use it but im chicken that it might ruin it.

• alasin1derland
    Options
    I was also chicken to ruin it. I was advised where it was purchased if I wear it swimming do not push any buttons on the watch as it will leak only if the buttons are pushed while in the water. I was still chicken so when I wore it in the pool I sealed the watch in a baggy and put it in the side of my suit. I wore the chest strap like normal. (I swim at home)
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with mine. Quick slightly off topic question, Who has used their during swimming? I have started doing shallow water fitness and id like to use it but im chicken that it might ruin it.

I've worn it dozens of times in the pool. You won't break it.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've had my F7 since June of last year. Sometimes the signal drops, but only if my strap is too loose. I don't have the problem after I tighten it.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar H7, which is their bluetooth HRM, and it will disconnect when I'm in the middle of a work out. It's a pain in the rear because I have to stop what I'm doing and reconnect it to the app I'm using on my phone. I will try the reset tip and hopefully that will do the trick.