Does surgery lead to weight gain?

Options
I have to get my gallbladder removed through laproscopic surgery next week..The doc says it will be easy and I'll recover within few days.
But I have heard that you can gain upto 10 lbs after surgery due to fluid retention and will look bloated..Is it true? If yes..will it come off and how long will it take.

I have an event to attend around the end of the month,I really don't want to look terrible ugh..Will I be fine by then?

Replies

• lonerchick
    Options
    You got some serious issues.
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For a laparascopic procedure you are pumped full of air for the tools to go in. At the end of the procedure they do not release the air but your body takes time to reabsorb it. In addition they give you a ton of fluid during surgery to keep your blood pressure up. In addition to the pain medication and the anesthesia. You will be noticeably heavier and bloated for a few days once the water weight and constipation stop.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I had laproscopic surgery last summer, and was definately puffy. Mostly from the air and IV fluids. And pain meds stopped me up for awhile, so that also added to the bloated look. I was a bad patient and did not take things easy, and my recovery ended up taking nearly a month.

That being said, your priorties should be your health and learning to eat in a way that agrees with your new lack of a gallbladder, and keeps you at maintenance calories. You might look puffy for awhile, but big whoop, your health is more important
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    lonerchick wrote: »
    You got some serious issues.

Lol why? Because I seem to be more worried about my weight and appearance than my well-being? I'm not. Gallbladder surgery is quite common and I know I'll be alright.

I'm just asking a question! I admit that I'm way too obsessed with my weight though but I can't help it.
  • lavendah
    Options
    mecaseyrn wrote: »
    For a laparascopic procedure you are pumped full of air for the tools to go in. At the end of the procedure they do not release the air but your body takes time to reabsorb it. In addition they give you a ton of fluid during surgery to keep your blood pressure up. In addition to the pain medication and the anesthesia. You will be noticeably heavier and bloated for a few days once the water weight and constipation stop.

Thanks.
    That sucks. :neutral_face: Will I be normal within 2-3 weeks then?

• Paperchains38
    Paperchains38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have recently had my gallbladder removed through laproscopic surgery (12th January) and yes i was bloated for a couple of days and the scales did not move that week however i have not had a problem removing a couple of pounds since. By the way the healing time is roughly two weeks before you will feel able to do a lot and I do still get pains now from time to time if i do to much lifting of my toddler or i bed over too much (picking stuff up, loading the washing machine/tumble dryer) also i can not wear jeans at the moment as they rub some of my scars (the one at the belly button and the side ones and leave them sore) which means i am wearing leggings a lot more than i would like.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed on a Thursday, went back to work the following Monday, back on my bicycle within a week and running within 10 days. I was back to my before surgery weight a week after the surgery. Of course everybody is different, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I haven't found anything that I ate before the surgery that I can't eat now.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Years ago I had laparoscopic surgery. It seems like it took 4-6 weeks to feel normal again, although I was back to my regular routine in a couple of weeks. I know without a doubt that I was completely normal in 8 weeks, because I got married 8 weeks after surgery, and I had no problem fitting into the dress, or the honeymoon clothing either.

I remember that the bloating from the gas was very uncomfortable for 2-3 weeks. It was no fun.

I hope your surgery goes well and the recovery is quick!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,411 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery on Wednesday (regular kind with a scalpel) and the scale is up over 4 lbs. I'm definitely not as "regular" as usual either. I know it's not real weight gain though so I'm not stressing about it and am eating what I can stomach and drinking what stays down.

Take care of your health, go to your event with a kickass attitude and you will do great.
  • lavendah
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    I had my gall bladder removed on a Thursday, went back to work the following Monday, back on my bicycle within a week and running within 10 days. I was back to my before surgery weight a week after the surgery. Of course everybody is different, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I haven't found anything that I ate before the surgery that I can't eat now.

Great,I hope I'm as lucky as you

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I had a long, hard recovery due to many complications, but that is not typical.

I did not gain any weight and went on to lose about 30 more pounds after the surgery.

Air, swelling and fluid retention will throw things off for a while. Don't get on the scale for a couple of weeks--it's not going to give you any reliable information.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's temporary, don't worry about it.