StrongLifts anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Lack of rest could be the issue.

What about food? Anything different over the last few days compared to before? (I know on days where I've eaten too soon before lifting or ate craptastically, my lifts suffer.)

What else are you doing besides SL? Running, biking, swimming, etc.?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ^In addition to that, how positive are you on form? Could you video yourself and ask for form critique if you aren't sure?

Also, the program calls for a 10% deload after a failure, not a 10lb deload. You likely did not drop far enough to work your way back up.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

What about food? Anything different over the last few days compared to before? (I know on days where I've eaten too soon before lifting or ate craptastically, my lifts suffer.)

I'm just doing some short, moderate to intense body weight exercises. Nothing more than 15 minutes. And I did eat pretty crappy over the weekend so that's probably a big reason.
    auddii wrote: »
    ^In addition to that, how positive are you on form? Could you video yourself and ask for form critique if you aren't sure?

Also, the program calls for a 10% deload after a failure, not a 10lb deload. You likely did not drop far enough to work your way back up.

I'm fairly confident on form. I video myself regularly to make sure I'm doing it right. But I think you're right that I didn't deload enough. I'll drop back to 270 on Wednesday and see how it goes. If I get brave enough, I may post a video for form check, but I still feel like such a noob. I just need to get over myself I guess.

Thanks so much for the feedback.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't have photos but I've been doing it since June.

Squat 45->375lb (+335)
    Bench 45->190lb (+145, though I did 225 the other day for the hell of it to be in the 1000+ lb club)
    Row 65-> 195lb (+130)
    OHP 45->145lb (+100) screw ohp lol
    Deadlift 95->405lbs (+310)
  • auddii
    Options

I'm just doing some short, moderate to intense body weight exercises. Nothing more than 15 minutes. And I did eat pretty crappy over the weekend so that's probably a big reason.

I'm fairly confident on form. I video myself regularly to make sure I'm doing it right. But I think you're right that I didn't deload enough. I'll drop back to 270 on Wednesday and see how it goes. If I get brave enough, I may post a video for form check, but I still feel like such a noob. I just need to get over myself I guess.

If you do decide to get form feeback, this is a great thread to post in with a lot of experienced lifters:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911984/form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here
  • swoledad
    swoledad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have done SL in the past. It's a good starting program, but I have since progressed onto program that handles heavier weight.

My starting stats before SL (from memory)
    SQ: 100kg 5x5 (220lbs)
    DL: 90kg 1x5 (198lbs)
    BP: 60kg 5x5 (132lbs)
    ROW: 40kg 5x5 (88lbs)
    OHP: 30kg 5x5 (66lbs)

When I began SL, I deloaded to roughly 60% of above.

After 6 months my stats:
    SQ: 140kg 5x5 (308lbs)
    DL: 170kg 1x5 (374lbs)
    BP: 100kg 5x5 (220lbs)
    ROW: 75kg 5x5 (165lbs)
    OHP: 60kg 5x5 (132lbs)

I got to the point were i felt I wasn't making much progress (Particularly ROW & OHP), now I have switched to MADCOW and have started making good progress again.
  • autopilot_off
    Options

If you do decide to get form feeback, this is a great thread to post in with a lot of experienced lifters:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911984/form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here

Thanks for this, I'll be checking this often for sure.
  • auddii
    Options

Thanks for this, I'll be checking this often for sure.
    I even find it useful just for watching videos and seeing the critique and applying what I learn to my own lifts.
  • autopilot_off
    Options
    I even find it useful just for watching videos and seeing the critique and applying what I learn to my own lifts.

Yep, I'm watching right now.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    swoledad wrote: »
    I have done SL in the past. It's a good starting program, but I have since progressed onto program that handles heavier weight.

My starting stats before SL (from memory)
    SQ: 100kg 5x5 (220lbs)
    DL: 90kg 1x5 (198lbs)
    BP: 60kg 5x5 (132lbs)
    ROW: 40kg 5x5 (88lbs)
    OHP: 30kg 5x5 (66lbs)

When I began SL, I deloaded to roughly 60% of above.

After 6 months my stats:
    SQ: 140kg 5x5 (308lbs)
    DL: 170kg 1x5 (374lbs)
    BP: 100kg 5x5 (220lbs)
    ROW: 75kg 5x5 (165lbs)
    OHP: 60kg 5x5 (132lbs)

I got to the point were i felt I wasn't making much progress (Particularly ROW & OHP), now I have switched to MADCOW and have started making good progress again.

Whoa! Even your befores ain't bad! Looks like you took it a long ways before having to switch to an intermediate program.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to a stronglifts group here on myfitnesspal, but now you cant search groups. Any one part of this group or have the link?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    madmags wrote: »
    I used to belong to a stronglifts group here on myfitnesspal, but now you cant search groups. Any one part of this group or have the link?

This one?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/5542-stronglifts-5x5
  • autopilot_off
    Options
    Who knew that doing basic compound lifts would carve out some calves?

iu4apr0m8wns.png