How often do you weigh yourself when you're getting started?

Options
Miles008
Miles008 Posts: 13 Member
I'm new here, only a couple days in, but I will admit that I felt some frustration this morning when I stepped on the scale and the number hadn't changed. I did really well yesterday with eating and gym time and I guess I was just hoping for the quick gratification of even a half pound difference. How often do you recommend checking your weight?

Replies

• raydise
    raydise Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh once a day (the same time, roughly after getting out of the morning shower) and then work on a positive trend.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log it on the happy scale app (I only log on MFP once a week). This allows me to see my body's fluctuations. Weight loss is NOT linear, even sticking to my exercise and calorie goals exactly I see fluctuations on 2-4 pounds. I also take measurements once a week, I've had weeks where the scale hasn't seemed to move, but I've lost inches. You need to do what works for you. If you find weighing daily motivates you, great do that. If you find it discourages you, then don't do it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My first four months I weighed once a week to understand what was going on. Then I randomly got on one Monday morning (weigh-in was Wednesdays), and I did it the next day, and the rest of the week. The thing with weighing every day is that you'll always see the fluctuations, so if jumping up 2 pounds in 24 hours can make you hate everything, it's advisable to stick to getting on less often.
  • ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    Options
    I weigh daily - first thing in the morning without clothes on. I have a bad habit of weighing numerous times a day which I need to work on lol but I only track/log once a week (Tuesday)
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. This way I can see the difference between workdays and free days. On free days I tend to eat more. If I see my weight going up I can try to focus more and I don't lose a week without this information.
  • RosaileenB
    RosaileenB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily as well - just a reminder to stay on track. However - it's just a number on a scale. My twin sister and I weigh the same but she has 12% less body fat then I do. She doesn't go by scale but by body fat.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday ... I have no issues with it. I don't over think things like others where it becomes a problem ... I know when i've actually lost and when it's just water.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Once/week, same day and time each week. Although... to be honest... if I know I've had a particularly bad few days, I might "forget" to weigh myself that week.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily but if you're going to get frustrated if you don't see a loss (or if you see a gain, which may happen) then don't do it that often. Most people do once per week I think.

eta: Also you can't gauge progress based on a few days or any one week. I'm not at home so I can't post my spreadsheet but it's not uncommon for me to be up 2-3 lbs for a couple of weeks and then see a sudden drop. You have to observe the trend over a few weeks time to know whether what you're doing is working.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday morning at 730am. I am short and down to my last 10lbs the scale moves about every 3 weeks for me, I used to get a tad frustrated with it, not now though I use other indicators like inch loss, and how I am progressing in my work out routines. If I weighed myself everyday I would go mad, mad I tell you maaaad!!! Good luck and remember patience is the key that unlocks all the doors.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Since you are just starting. I would recommend 1/week every morning after you get up from bed and use the bathroom and before you ingest anything including water. Later on, months later you can do daily. For now once a week. In my opinion daily weigh in's are to keep you honest. i currently do daily weigh in but did weekly when i initially started out
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but I know what causes me to gain and I have a tracking app that does the average/actual weight for me and I look at that rather than what I actually weigh.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every monday morning before breakfast.
  • RonnieTiajuana
    RonnieTiajuana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I wake up. It is not unusual to have a +/- 2 pound change every day. Over time the trend is DOWN!
  • smardel
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday morning when I get up before I have anything to eat, would stress me out too much daily
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I weigh in twice a month, on the 15th and 30th.
  • kasamgirl
    kasamgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Daily weighing kill me lol. Trying to be strong and do it once a week only.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, same time, same scale.
    If you are going to weigh daily realize your weight fluctuates due to many things.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a body fat scale (just a simple one from Target ~$40, but there are fancy-pants one which sync with MFP) and weigh once a week, but also take a BF reading at the same time. Last week, I had zero change in weight (and my scale does 10ths!) but I had a 0.3% BF change. That made me smile even though my weight was the same.
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday morning at 730am. I am short and down to my last 10lbs the scale moves about every 3 weeks for me, I used to get a tad frustrated with it, not now though I use other indicators like inch loss, and how I am progressing in my work out routines. If I weighed myself everyday I would go mad, mad I tell you maaaad!!! Good luck and remember patience is the key that unlocks all the doors.

I feel the same way here, I weigh in every Friday morning after I use the rest room before I get dressed. IF I'm going to see a change, (for the better), this will be the day it happens. If I weighed every day, I would go mad, also. Hope you find your "happy weigh in". :)