Eat before or after

Options
I recently purchased a mini trampoline for Rebounding. I wake up and start a 20 minute workout. Jump in the shower then eat something for breakfast. Is this good idea? Or should I do it at the end of my night. Only thing is the end of my night is like 9:30.

Replies

• BigWaveDave96
    Options
    You're doing it right currently. If you exercise right before bed, your adrenaline will keep you from sleeping well.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you. Some days I'm in the gym training at 5 am, some days it's 10pm. Personally prefer later morning but I make it fit whenever it fits. As for fueling, it's what works best for you again. Experiment and find out.
  • packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you both.
  • sweett85
    sweett85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Late evening workouts keep me awake at night. Plus, exercise jump starts your metabolism which will burn more calories for you during the day & give you more energy.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is any 'right time' to work out. The best time to work out is the time you will stick to.
  • packersfan0103
    Options
    sweett85 I've heard that
    Athos282 morning it is. My alarm is set for 4:25 A.M. I can hit the ground running and I DON'T drink coffee.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, do what works for you. A 20-minute workout is short enough that you can do it fasting (heck, I sometimes bicycle 15 miles before breakfast), and it means that you start the day having done your workout, which is a great feeling, vs. coming home after a long day and feeling like you have to do it. (Personally, I usually enjoy my run or bike ride, but there are still days when it's a drag.)
  • packersfan0103
    Options
    Yes morning is best for me. I just wasn't sure if should eat a little something first. I'm starting with baby steps but I want to do it right.
  • jdstathopoulos
    jdstathopoulos Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes morning is best for me. I just wasn't sure if should eat a little something first. I'm starting with baby steps but I want to do it right.

I go to the gym at about 3 in the morning. During the winter, I plow snow so I'm on those hours. I usually eat a little something first (toast and peanut butter) then 2 eggs afterward.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Personal choice. I've worked out morning, afternoon, and evening. I think that evening actually works best for me, whereas afternoon isn't even ideal but is what works for my current school schedule. I actually slept better when I worked out at night than I do working out during the afternoon.

As for eating, again it's personal choice. I eat up to a few hours before my workout, making sure I get in ~300 calories and low fat. If too many cals and too much fat, I get bloated and feel nauseous while working out (albeit I lift weights - doesn't seem to be too big an issue when I do cardio). I can also eat right after or wait 1-2 hours before eating even if I"m hungry, I just eat afterwards based on whether I have food on me.
  • packersfan0103
    Options
    I recently purchased a mini trampoline for Rebounding. I wake up and start a 20 minute workout. Jump in the shower then eat something for breakfast. Is this good idea? Or should I do it at the end of my night. Only thing is the end of my night is like 9:30.

One other thing. I was wondering how long do I stick to the beginner routine? I was thinking just until I can do it all the eay through with ou tt stopping? Or stick to it for like a week or two longer. Or what should the time table be?
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have heard you should work out in the morning on an empty stomach to burn the most fat, that is what works for me!
  • demo_d
    demo_d Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jkowals123 wrote: »
    I have heard you should work out in the morning on an empty stomach to burn the most fat, that is what works for me!
    I have heard this as well and it is what I'm doing now although I was never a breakfast person,

I was 340lbs 10 days ago and I changed my diet and do 3 miles every morning on the treadmill and eat about 30 minutes after and I feel great and have lost 14lbs currently 325lbs
  • packersfan0103
    Options
    demo_d wrote: »
    I have heard this as well and it is what I'm doing now although I was never a breakfast person,

I was 340lbs 10 days ago and I changed my diet and do 3 miles every morning on the treadmill and eat about 30 minutes after and I feel great and have lost 14lbs currently 325lbs

Wow that's awesome. I'm sticking to the morning routine because that works best for me. My other question was how long do I stick to the beginner routine? Just until I get it, a little longer then that, a full 90 days?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    If you exercise right before bed, your adrenaline will keep you from sleeping well.

Sorry but I disagree with this statement. Maybe for "some" people this is true. However, most of the exercises that I do (heavy weightlifting, steady cardio, and HIIT workouts) are done an hour before I go to bed. I never have an issue falling asleep and most of the time I'm out within minutes.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    If you exercise right before bed, your adrenaline will keep you from sleeping well.

Sorry but I disagree with this statement. Maybe for "some" people this is true. However, most of the exercises that I do (heavy weightlifting, steady cardio, and HIIT workouts) are done an hour before I go to bed. I never have an issue falling asleep and most of the time I'm out within minutes.

Same here - I walk in the mornings, and typically do a hard workout at night (HIIT, bodyweight) - never have a problem falling asleep.
  • packersfan0103
    Options
    Everyone is different. People say not to drink coffee at night because the caffine will keep you awake. My husband can hae a cup of coffee and start snoring 30 minutes later. I liked the responses that said to do what works best for you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    demo_d wrote: »

Wow that's awesome. I'm sticking to the morning routine because that works best for me. My other question was how long do I stick to the beginner routine? Just until I get it, a little longer then that, a full 90 days?

I would say stick to it until you can do it without pausing or huffing and puffing, then increase. You want to keep challenging yourself but don't do too much at once. It really is one of those things that your body will tell you. You will just want to do more.

• packersfan0103
    Options
    Thanks
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    sweett85 I've heard that
    Athos282 morning it is. My alarm is set for 4:25 A.M. I can hit the ground running and I DON'T drink coffee.

caffeine helps weight loss.. whats wrong with coffee? i drink at least a pot a day... i dont use sugar, or milk, or cream in my coffee though..