Thinking about drastically cutting my carb intake

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    FDMToronto wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have had their $0.02, so here's mine: try anything and everything to find what works for you, including low carb.

I need to lose 40-50 lbs and started the Dukan diet a month ago. Prior to that I was vegetarian for 4 years and have never met a carb that I don't love. I picked Dukan because it's lower fat than Atkins. I keep my carbs below 50 grams a day. I haven't had any side effects: almost no cravings (though I miss peanut butter on toast!), no loss of energy - quite the opposite in fact. I've lost 20 lbs.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I've met loads of people that have sustained weight loss by limiting carbs. I hope to join that group.

So you really think you're going to live the rest of your life eating no more than 50 grams of carbs per day? I did Atkins for about a year and a half and yes it worked: I lost weight, didn't have any cravings, etc. But, damn, it got to be a grind. The rest of my family wasn't doing it and neither were my co-workers and friends. So while my family was eating Belgian waffles, pancakes or bagels for breakfast I was eating Yet. Another. G*damn. Egg. Want some birthday cake? Uh, no thanks. Hey look profiteroles! I'll pass. Ooh, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies! Not today I guess. Hey, let's go to that new Italian restaurant! Well, maybe some other time. - So yeah, eventually I succumbed and gained it all back.

Low carb means saying no to about 85% of everything at the grocery store, 95% of everything on a restaurant menu and 99% of baked goods and desserts. IMHO, it's easier to learn portion control and how to balance your calorie intake over the course of a week rather than live every single day in strict adherence to a low limit on carbs.

15 years between 20 and 40g. I appreciate there are some people who have convinced themselves they couldn't possibly do it, but it's hardly impossible. I do not have to eat entirely LC or keto. However, there are enough carby things I cannot have, that it's impractical to build my entire diet around a high carb diet from the few things that don't make me sick. It's easier to stay in keto and use fat for energy instead.

I do not miss bread, pastry, pizza, cookies, or ice cream. In some cases there are substitutions, in others, I go without. I still bake treats with real flour and sugar for my son to take to school on his birthday. My family eats popcorn all the time, doesn't bother me, and I used to live on it before I got sick. I lived on most of that stuff all the way up to 500 lbs.

I don't "deny" myself a thing. I just don't want it. My tastes have changed, and that only took a few months to happen. It's been consistent ever since. On the few occasions I've been pressured into trying something "normal," it's been so disgustingly sweet my teeth would ache and my throat would clench tight after a single bite.

I get it, it doesn't work for everyone. I have never once posted and told someone they should quit whatever they're trying and do keto instead. What I will do, though, is answer questions for people who are interested, to try and counter-balance all of those who aren't confident enough in themselves to make it a permanent lifestyle change, and therefore project that into nobody could make it a permanent lifestyle change.

I'm proof. I'm right here. Everytime I see someone drag out that tired old "not sustainable" bs, I have to laugh. What else can I do?
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins before and it works but wasn't as pleasant as a balanced way of eating. 30g of carbs is low and will limit the amount of veggies and fruit you can have. Hence, you might struggle to meet your fiber needs. 30% of my "diet" is carbs. I have nothing against carbs, I just choose to keep my protein up for strength training and fats also keep me satisfied and are essential for some bodily funtions.

Some people cannot tolerate carbs as well as others. I feel if my diet was mostly carbs, I wouldn't burn as much fat. That's just based on my experience and trial and error. When I move to maintenance I will likely up my carbs a bit (maybe 35%) because I'd like to add more fruit. The rice/pasta/potatoes? Meh.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    FDMToronto wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have had their $0.02, so here's mine: try anything and everything to find what works for you, including low carb.

I need to lose 40-50 lbs and started the Dukan diet a month ago. Prior to that I was vegetarian for 4 years and have never met a carb that I don't love. I picked Dukan because it's lower fat than Atkins. I keep my carbs below 50 grams a day. I haven't had any side effects: almost no cravings (though I miss peanut butter on toast!), no loss of energy - quite the opposite in fact. I've lost 20 lbs.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I've met loads of people that have sustained weight loss by limiting carbs. I hope to join that group.

So you really think you're going to live the rest of your life eating no more than 50 grams of carbs per day? I did Atkins for about a year and a half and yes it worked: I lost weight, didn't have any cravings, etc. But, damn, it got to be a grind. The rest of my family wasn't doing it and neither were my co-workers and friends. So while my family was eating Belgian waffles, pancakes or bagels for breakfast I was eating Yet. Another. G*damn. Egg. Want some birthday cake? Uh, no thanks. Hey look profiteroles! I'll pass. Ooh, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies! Not today I guess. Hey, let's go to that new Italian restaurant! Well, maybe some other time. - So yeah, eventually I succumbed and gained it all back.

Low carb means saying no to about 85% of everything at the grocery store, 95% of everything on a restaurant menu and 99% of baked goods and desserts. IMHO, it's easier to learn portion control and how to balance your calorie intake over the course of a week rather than live every single day in strict adherence to a low limit on carbs.

15 years between 20 and 40g. I appreciate there are some people who have convinced themselves they couldn't possibly do it, but it's hardly impossible. I do not have to eat entirely LC or keto. However, there are enough carby things I cannot have, that it's impractical to build my entire diet around a high carb diet from the few things that don't make me sick. It's easier to stay in keto and use fat for energy instead.

I do not miss bread, pastry, pizza, cookies, or ice cream. In some cases there are substitutions, in others, I go without. I still bake treats with real flour and sugar for my son to take to school on his birthday. My family eats popcorn all the time, doesn't bother me, and I used to live on it before I got sick. I lived on most of that stuff all the way up to 500 lbs.

I don't "deny" myself a thing. I just don't want it. My tastes have changed, and that only took a few months to happen. It's been consistent ever since. On the few occasions I've been pressured into trying something "normal," it's been so disgustingly sweet my teeth would ache and my throat would clench tight after a single bite.

I get it, it doesn't work for everyone. I have never once posted and told someone they should quit whatever they're trying and do keto instead. What I will do, though, is answer questions for people who are interested, to try and counter-balance all of those who aren't confident enough in themselves to make it a permanent lifestyle change, and therefore project that into nobody could make it a permanent lifestyle change.

I'm proof. I'm right here. Everytime I see someone drag out that tired old "not sustainable" bs, I have to laugh. What else can I do?

I'd love to see your food diary.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. If you switch to a low carb diet, your body will adapt in a couple weeks and learn to use protein and fats for energy. At that point you should no longer feel like crap. Much. But what's the point of putting your body through that? Unless you have a medical condition or if you have no need of energy (completely sedentary lifestyle), you were built to eat carbs.

This. I lost more weight, kept more muscle and was happier with the balanced diet. It was so much easier when there weren't any foods that were off-limits.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try whatever isn't dangerous and do what works for you. I have been doing awesome on keto (less than 23 g carbs a day) and I don't miss anything, don't feel left out, bored, deprived or anything, but as some above posters have said, it doesn't work for everyone. I am the opposite. I counted only calories and ate a diet including carbs for about 4 months and lost 35 lbs but I had cravings and temptations all the time that made it hard not to cheat. Not so with this way of eating. Different things work for different people. I have also been borderline diabetic and probably have metabolic syndrome. I have lost 26 lbs in 1 1/2 months and that's definitely faster loss than just calorie counting, but I also cut out junk food in general. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Switch to low carbs for ONE month and see how you feel. Then evaluate. Your body will let you know what works.
  • Chey16
    Chey16 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential for your brain and body to function. If you cut down on anything you should cut down on processed foods, simple carbohydrates and a majority of animal products (I'm not saying animal products are bad but they tend to be high in cholesterol and you can get protein from plant based foods also). I know when a lot of people lower their carb intake they inevitably lower their fruit intake, but fruits WILL NOT make you fat. So eat as many fruits and veggies you want and throw in some whole grains and quinoa. There is not need to cut your carbohydrates, just eat more whole foods.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Long Term (defined as years) ketosis is possible for some. Stephanie Keto Person is a Youtuber who seems to be doing just fine that way. Full of energy and looks amazing (though she looked amazing in her before ketogenic diet photo, too).

I like her videos. Except when she encourages giving up coffee. Not taking that advice!
  • biker100
    biker100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cyclists do this as a weight loss regime once every 6 weeks or so you train on an empty stomach and go until you 'bonk' (run out of energy) this then forces the body to look for an alternative energy source as all carbs have been used. so the body starts to burn fat and does this for around 4-6 weeks. This is the same thing as a low carb diet but is better as your body is looking for new energy instead of just having an empty carb tank.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    I used low carb high protein diets to drop body fat I very short periods of time. I say go for it a and keep your net carbs below 20. That way jalapenos, asparagus and a few other vegetables can be included in the diet.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    15 years between 20 and 40g. I appreciate there are some people who have convinced themselves they couldn't possibly do it, but it's hardly impossible.
    You misunderstood me. Of course it's possible. For most of their existence, the entire Inuit population survived almost completely on seal meat - a zero carb diet. All over the world, people who have the choice still choose to forgo things like books, music, sex, movies, even the internet. As human beings we are very adaptable. So yes, you can choose to deny yourself the joy of occasionally indulging in ice cream. I just don't see why you would.
    I do not have to eat entirely LC or keto. However, there are enough carby things I cannot have, that it's impractical to build my entire diet around a high carb diet from the few things that don't make me sick. It's easier to stay in keto and use fat for energy instead.
    Carbs make you sick? Odd, since they are fairly simple compounds that are easily digested, excepting those high in fiber. White rice, white bread, crackers - this is what the doctor recommends when you have an upset stomach. It's possible you have a medical problem.
    I do not miss bread, pastry, pizza, cookies, or ice cream.
    If you say so. I did low carb for over a year. I got used to not eating those foods and I think I convinced myself I just didn't want them anymore. You can convince yourself of almost anything if have enough determination. What finally got to me was all the denial, missing out on fun treats, always making separate meals, and the utter sameness and boredom that results from a being tied to highly restrictive diet while surrounded with so much variety.
    What I will do, though, is answer questions for people who are interested, to try and counter-balance all of those who aren't confident enough in themselves to make it a permanent lifestyle change, and therefore project that into nobody could make it a permanent lifestyle change.
    Yeah, I thought this would eventually come up. Just because other people don't stick to your food fad doesn't mean they lack confidence in themselves. Maybe the problem is the faddish nature of the diet. Losing weight is hard enough. Why make it harder with unnecessary restrictions?
    We're working with averages here. Yes, there are people who live like The Amish or like monks and deny themselves many of the joys and pleasures of this modern world. If you wish to be a martyr to that kind of calling, by all means go ahead, however for the average person, it's more likely to end in failure.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    15 years between 20 and 40g. I appreciate there are some people who have convinced themselves they couldn't possibly do it, but it's hardly impossible.
    You misunderstood me. Of course it's possible. For most of their existence, the entire Inuit population survived almost completely on seal meat - a zero carb diet. All over the world, people who have the choice still choose to forgo things like books, music, sex, movies, even the internet. As human beings we are very adaptable. So yes, you can choose to deny yourself the joy of occasionally indulging in ice cream. I just don't see why you would.
    I do not have to eat entirely LC or keto. However, there are enough carby things I cannot have, that it's impractical to build my entire diet around a high carb diet from the few things that don't make me sick. It's easier to stay in keto and use fat for energy instead.
    Carbs make you sick? Odd, since they are fairly simple compounds that are easily digested, excepting those high in fiber. White rice, white bread, crackers - this is what the doctor recommends when you have an upset stomach. It's possible you have a medical problem.
    I do not miss bread, pastry, pizza, cookies, or ice cream.
    If you say so. I did low carb for over a year. I got used to not eating those foods and I think I convinced myself I just didn't want them anymore. You can convince yourself of almost anything if have enough determination. What finally got to me was all the denial, missing out on fun treats, always making separate meals, and the utter sameness and boredom that results from a being tied to highly restrictive diet while surrounded with so much variety.
    What I will do, though, is answer questions for people who are interested, to try and counter-balance all of those who aren't confident enough in themselves to make it a permanent lifestyle change, and therefore project that into nobody could make it a permanent lifestyle change.
    Yeah, I thought this would eventually come up. Just because other people don't stick to your food fad doesn't mean they lack confidence in themselves. Maybe the problem is the faddish nature of the diet. Losing weight is hard enough. Why make it harder with unnecessary restrictions?
    We're working with averages here. Yes, there are people who live like The Amish or like monks and deny themselves many of the joys and pleasures of this modern world. If you wish to be a martyr to that kind of calling, by all means go ahead, however for the average person, it's more likely to end in failure.

Sorry, I thought I made it clear there are medical issues involved. The thing is, those medical issues aren't related to "carbs", as in "carbs make me sick." It's about 40 or 50 different things that make me sick, and the majority of them are carb heavy. Given a choice between meeting an obnoxious daily carb requirement with black beans, vegetables and homemade rice-a-roni every day for the rest of my life, I find it much easier to skip the beans and rice.

As for the "faddishness", the concept has been around longer than hclf, so why is it still this one that keeps getting labeled the fad?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    E_Ashton wrote: »
    A person who doesn't eat meat or at least limits it tends to have a lower BMI and also meats and dairy products don't do much for the body except clog up arteries! Nothing wrong with carbs as long as you calorie count! :)

LOL, you need to find some better resources for your claims. People that have been studied that eat meat and dairy that are obsese also eat excessive calories that include lots of junk food (McDonald's etc.). They do eat meat but the actual relationship between their BMI and Obesity is not in the meat but rather in the excessive calories.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No! A major food group should not be cut out from anyone's diet. Its unsustainable and extremely unhealthy. Your body needs carbs, its the main food group that gives you energy. Just limit processed carbs and eat complex carbs, limit meat and dairy. Cut out saturated fat, eat good fats. Simple changes have a big impact over time. Its not gonna happen over night. Any diet that claims really fast initial weight loss will just be water weight you lose not fat ....

Your body can produce its own carbs out of fat and protein. Why does it need them? And ketosis is not a way for rapid weight loss...it takes a hell of a lot of dedication and most cant handle it. It has many health benefits way above and beyond weight loss...and just for the record, it is completely sustainable if done right and if you have the stomach, dedication and patience Most just don't.

Please explain how it is unhealthy to do such a thing. What are the negative effects?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have reduced carbs, qualify that, "processed food" carbs. I still eat fruit, non starchy veggies, but no wheat, rice, or oats, I have even reduced beans.

Why? Because I overeat those items.

I now eat more protein, and feel fine.

Find your "trigger" foods, ones that you consistently overeat.

I may add more carbs back at some point, but not now.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. If you switch to a low carb diet, your body will adapt in a couple weeks and learn to use protein and fats for energy. At that point you should no longer feel like crap. Much. But what's the point of putting your body through that? Unless you have a medical condition or if you have no need of energy (completely sedentary lifestyle), you were built to eat carbs.

Carbs are the preferred source by the body because you keep giving it carbs to use. There are a bevy of reasons why this is. As soon as there are no carbs to use, it switches automatically to preferring fat. It processes the fat cells into usable energy, that energy is entered into the bloodstream, and is expelled by the body much the same way carbs are. Since it takes 225% more energy for that process to happen, as opposed to burning fructose or sucrose, and because ingestion of fat satiates hunger for longer while in ketosis, the body loses weight easier It is not a magic trick, just body chemistry.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

1. If you consistently over-eat on fat & protein you will get fat as well.
    2. The body does not produce carbohydrates, your liver can produce glucose
  • jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your brains main source of energy comes from carbohydrates. Your brain can't function properly without them. Instead of cutting them cold turkey why not cut 10-15 grams each week until you find your ideal ratio. It will be easier for your body to adjust.
  • irretrievable_
    irretrievable_ Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There's no science saying it's harmful, assuming you're in good health and have no conditions that would say otherwise. So try it for a month or two and see how you like it. If it's not something you can adjust to, ditch it.

Humans can work on both carbohydrate and ketones (your body naturally switches to ketosis overnight, btw), which is why we're so damned good at staying alive in so many different food environments. There's not a "preference" for either one; the body will take whatever's available and use it for energy, full stop. At this point in developed nations, diet is really more a matter of lifestyle and economy than requirements of the body. If you can condition yourself to go low/no carb and thrive on it, then it's worth your time to try it. You're unlikely to do any permanent damage by at least giving it a shot. Just make sure you've done the research and can replace what your body needs with other food sources.

Oh, but also be aware of things like "keto breath" - the acetone that gets into your breath from ketosis. Not necessarily a dealbreaker, but if you're not expecting it, can be weird.
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You need carbs. That's what your brain and body runs on. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. No need to cut carbs.