Binge eating

Options
EmilyAnneMcCalla
EmilyAnneMcCalla Posts: 18
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Anyone else have this problem?? I've been trying to incorporate more raw foods in my diet. It seems I'd go through the whole day with no problems eating raw foods. Then right before bed. I snap. Tips??!

Replies

• tara1128
    tara1128 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When you get the urge brush your teeth. Then you won't want to eat. It really helps me!
  • EmilyAnneMcCalla
    Options
    tara1128 wrote: »
    When you get the urge brush your teeth. Then you won't want to eat. It really helps me!

Thank you!! I'll try this tonight
  • gred630
    gred630 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try having more protein during the day. That might help curb your appetite at night.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think you've been given some good tips so far. What works for me is to plan enough calories to allow a bedtime snack. If I don't have a snack at bedtime, I wake up RAVENOUS. It works best for me, and keeps me from grabbing hold of every food in my sight after dinner. Just knowing that soon enough I'll be able to eat something again that will fit into my calories and macros is enough to help me make it through the evening without, as you put it, "snap"ing. I totally get it. It isn't easy, but maybe this could work for you like it does for me most days.

Best of luck!
  • EmilyAnneMcCalla
    Options
    gred630 wrote: »
    Try having more protein during the day. That might help curb your appetite at night.

Yea I think you're right about this. I definitely do need to eat more protein. I'm sure this will help. Thank you!
  • EmilyAnneMcCalla
    Options
    TinaBaily wrote: »
    I think you've been given some good tips so far. What works for me is to plan enough calories to allow a bedtime snack. If I don't have a snack at bedtime, I wake up RAVENOUS. It works best for me, and keeps me from grabbing hold of every food in my sight after dinner. Just knowing that soon enough I'll be able to eat something again that will fit into my calories and macros is enough to help me make it through the evening without, as you put it, "snap"ing. I totally get it. It isn't easy, but maybe this could work for you like it does for me most days.

Best of luck!

• EmilyAnneMcCalla
    Options
    TinaBaily wrote: »

Best of luck!

Thank you! I really appreciate this. I'll try and plan my meals ahead of time. I'm actually trying to form an eating schedule now, to ensure I get all the nutrients I need. Hopefully this will help stop the urge of bringing at night :a I'm really hoping.
  • Taylor_Bride_to_Be
    Options
    Same issue here, I tend to make excuses for myself and overeat and eat all the wrong things. If I'm angry or depressed then its way worse and I find myself mindlessly eating until I snap out of it.

I've found it helps to keep my hands busy, I crochet or play games or write when I'm watching TV, but it's not a fool proof plan :(
  • EmilyAnneMcCalla
    Options
    Same issue here, I tend to make excuses for myself and overeat and eat all the wrong things. If I'm angry or depressed then its way worse and I find myself mindlessly eating until I snap out of it.

I've found it helps to keep my hands busy, I crochet or play games or write when I'm watching TV, but it's not a fool proof plan :(

Thank you! I'll try this too!. I'm really new to this. I don't know how to add people or message people. I appreciate the tip. It's so hard not to binge. And when I'm done. I already feel extremely guilty
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I do really good during the day, and then I have movie night every night before bed. It's during this time that I just want to snack because I'm a 'bored eater'. I log 30 calories every night for hot tea since it tricks my stomach and mind. I know in not hungry during this time because I just ate less than an hour ago.
  • Taylor_Bride_to_Be
    Options

Thank you! I'll try this too!. I'm really new to this. I don't know how to add people or message people. I appreciate the tip. It's so hard not to binge. And when I'm done. I already feel extremely guilty
    Amen, without meaning to you beat yourself up and talk down to yourself and make it worse, its and endless negative cycle but if we all keep one another positive then we can break our habits :smile:
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was an awful late night binge eater and, I have found something that seems to work. In the evening, when I watchTV, I sit on my recumbent bike and ride rather than snacking. When I snack in the evening, I will only eat 2 or 3 rice cakes with peanut butter on them. That seems to work for me.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I used to just plan in advance for like 300 calories, but that wasn't really working for me, so I just ate during the day, and whenever I felt like I was going to binge, I would go for a walk, or basically do something to get me out of the house and away from food. By the time I came back, the urge had passed!
  • EmilyAnneMcCalla
    Options
    Thank you!! These are all such good suggestions. Last night I was able to fight the urge thank to all the tips. I guess the trick is keeping it up :s tonight will be another challenge. But knowing I'm not the know one struggling with this really helps! You guys are amazing
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you do it once, it is easier to do it twice. Do it twice and the third time is easier - you are building a habit, it grows like a muscle. Replace the binge eating habit with another habit and watch your weight go down.
  • EmilyAnneMcCalla
    Options
    Ogopogo wrote: »
    If you do it once, it is easier to do it twice. Do it twice and the third time is easier - you are building a habit, it grows like a muscle. Replace the binge eating habit with another habit and watch your weight go down.

:D I will!! Thanks for the help. I hope your journey to better health is successful and rewarding. Sounds like you've got everything under control. I will strive to have my life under control as well. Especially this binge eating
  • zoezoekende
    zoezoekende Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/weight_loss/weight_loss_tips/eat_eggs.htm

There is more evidence that eating eggs is very healthy !
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    http://www.niashanks.com/20-tips-binge-eating/

^This is what helped me to break away from my binge eating disorder. Good luck!
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you are perhaps meaning you are not eating "non organic" or "junk food" or such. Many people come here looking for tips to eat more clean and raw and organic because they think cutting out treats and sugar and fast food all together is the only way to go. If that is the case, I would suggest not limiting yourself to only raw or organic or clean foods personally. I am eating a lot more clean (with the exception of the last couple weeks since I have been sickly) because that is the best option for me but I allow myself small treats whenever I feel like I need them- a small piece of chocolate in the middle of the day, some lower calorie cookies for dessert, some french fries out of my kids happy meal, etc. I find that by restricting them completely, I am setting myself up for failure. When I was in high school, I was fat, but had a short lived eating disorder where I tried not eating for an entire week in order to lose weight. I kept a list of all the foods I wanted to eat when I was done with my "fasting" period. Cheeseburgers and pizza aplenty! I gorged on so much calorie dense food when I was done that I probably gained back much more than I lost. I never found out because I was too ashamed to weigh myself until several months later when I was indeed even heavier. If I have a small treat, I am not likely to binge on it. "Forbidden fruit" makes you want it all the more.

However, if you are seeking advice to curb snacking habits that evolve from stress eating or boredom eating, I think you have enough adequate advice already- form habits and hobbies that keep your mind on other things (especially ones like scrapbooking or knitting that require non-greasy, non sticky hands), increase your activity level and your workout time to increase your calorie allowance so that you can binge a bit, planning meals and snacks in advance (probably the best advice for keeping on track) and not to beat yourself up over an occasional indulgence (which will only lead to more over indulgences).
  • groovy_D
    groovy_D Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great article, Aggie! Thanks. :)