Options
2»

Replies

• Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    BW training is for the birds :P

Body weight training is for everyone or anyone who wants to do it. :expressionless:

Google "grease the groove". As a big guy its going to suck but the method is good for things like pull-ups and push ups at all levels.

• AliluniqueLaura
    AliluniqueLaura Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do push ups against my kitchen counter. I do it slowly with my core tight.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Bench press is your friend if you can't do pushups.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    A trainer that I saw for a while recommended starting to do push ups against a wall, until you can do some of those easily, then progressively lean forward more (ie. setting a bar at the gym on a stable rack, using the back of the couch at home, then a lower bench, etc.) until you're more horizontal. This will gradually add weight to your push ups without sacrificing form or causing injury. As for the pull ups... I still can't do them unassisted. I use those big rubber bands to help still.

As a personal trainer, this is how I start people on push ups. I recommend this approach, especially for women, who traditionally have less upper body strength than men. I also recommend this approach as opposed to starting with the bent knee style because it engages the core as well as arm and back muscles.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Bench press is your friend if you can't do pushups.

Yup, my bench pressing is making my pushups per set increase.