Am I on the right track in losing fat? Is this making progress?

Options
After reaching my goal weight, I tried to switch my focus to losing the fat but it seems much harder to track. When I was trying to lose weight, I weighed myself every day and see my fluctuations achieving new low almost every week and I was, on average, losing 1 lb/week and about 1 inch off my waist every month. But now, for the one month that I got back on track with my intake and exercise, I lost about 1 lb and there isn't much difference in my measurement. Although it is not about the weight any more, it would still be nice to see progress. Is this how slow progress is like? Or, am I fooling myself and I am actually eating too much?

Some stats about me:

43 years old
Height: a little under 5'3"
current weight: 118~120

TDEE: 1860
TDEE-20%: 1488

Body Fat %: app. 26% (according to various measurement based calculators)
Protein goal: 88g

I run 3 times a week (4.5 miles x 1, 3 miles x 2) and follow the program on Body by You by Mark Lauren another 3 times a week. I am increasing my milage on the long run each week and progressing through the body weight exercises. Some days, I cannot eat under my caloric goal but it would still be under my TDEE by about 10%. Some days I cannot hit the goal of 88g of protein, but it would be at least 70 g. So, should I be more patient and I am actually on the right track? Or, should I focus on eating less and hitting my protein goal?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things!
  • kcuevas10
    kcuevas10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been reading burn the fat, feed the muscle by Tom Venuto. It's been helpful understanding best ways to lower body fat %
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kcuevas10 wrote: »
    I've been reading burn the fat, feed the muscle by Tom Venuto. It's been helpful understanding best ways to lower body fat %
    @kcuevas10‌ does it involve exercise?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wait. So you were losing 1 lb a month with a goal of "lose weight," and now that you want to lose body fat, you've lost 1 lb in one month? Is that not progress?

ETA: Oh, I get it. You haven't lost body fat by measurements...*including* but not limited to waist, right? I'm somewhere around your height and weight, and as I've lost 10 pounds it has definitely not come off my waist in neat 1:1 ratios. (Alas.)
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Lift heavy things!

Thanks, I am planning on trying strong lift 5x5 next. Right now, I'm at inverted row with knees slightly bent. I think I am on my way to a full pull up soon. Is this a kind of progress for lifting heavy too?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    You've lost the weight and now it seems like a recomp is in order..http://www.bodyrecomposition.com
  • mom3over40
    Options
    Wait. So you were losing 1 lb a month with a goal of "lose weight," and now that you want to lose body fat, you've lost 1 lb in one month? Is that not progress?

I was losing 1 lb a week when I focus on losing weight. Now, I have lost about 1 lb in a month. With all the body fluctuation, 1 lb doesn't seem like making progress - it could be just water or monthly cycle thing...
  • mom3over40
    Options
    You've lost the weight and now it seems like a recomp is in order..http://www.bodyrecomposition.com

Thanks for the link. The current post happened to be on Bipolar, I was confused at first :)
    But I will read the information on recomposition. Thanks again.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »

I was losing 1 lb a week when I focus on losing weight. Now, I have lost about 1 lb in a month. With all the body fluctuation, 1 lb doesn't seem like making progress - it could be just water or monthly cycle thing...

Oops. I can read good. (Sorry.)

Your TDEE seems a *little* high to me (as someone about your size) for three days a week of cardio--I'm not sure the Body By You exercises count the same as running a 5K in terms of calorie expenditure. So the margin of error you built in seems about right for slowed-down weight loss. (Unless you have an active job, in which case I have foot-in-mouth disease again.)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Thanks for the link. The current post happened to be on Bipolar, I was confused at first :)
    But I will read the information on recomposition. Thanks again.

laughssssss- I didn't even look!
  • mom3over40
    Options

Thanks, will check it out.
  • mom3over40
    Options

Your TDEE seems a *little* high to me (as someone about your size) for three days a week of cardio--I'm not sure the Body By You exercises count the same as running a 5K in terms of calorie expenditure. So the margin of error you built in seems about right for slowed-down weight loss. (Unless you have an active job, in which case I have foot-in-mouth disease again.)

No worries.

Thanks for your input. You are probably right on the calorie expenditure on Body by You exercises. They are strength training, unlikely to match those runs. I run so that I can eat more. Otherwise, my TDEE would be so pathetic. LOL.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    Options

No worries.

Thanks for your input. You are probably right on the calorie expenditure on Body by You exercises. They are strength training, unlikely to match those runs. I run so that I can eat more. Otherwise, my TDEE would be so pathetic. LOL.

I KNOW, RIGHT?

People ask, "Why would you eat back your exercise calories," and I'm like, you must be tall...
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things!

Thanks, I am planning on trying strong lift 5x5 next. ...

Start immediately. I think you'll get better results then you current routine. Good luck.
  • kcuevas10
    kcuevas10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @kcuevas10‌ does it involve exercise?

It doesn't give you a specific workout plan but breaks down how the body works and best way to burn fat.
  • mom3over40
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Start immediately. I think you'll get better results then you current routine. Good luck.

Thanks for your input. If you could kindly explain why, that would be great... Is there something intrinsic about my current program that makes it not as good as SL5x5?

FYI, my current routines on BBY is:
    3x10: inverted row with knees slightly bent
    3x10: assisted one legged squat
    3x10: assisted push up; or, assisted military press
    3x10: Romanian dead lifts

If I can finish the 3x10 on an exercise, I will progress to the next difficulty level. And if I am progressing every single one, I will be doing unassisted pull up, one legged squat, push up, military press and weighted one-legged warriors in the coming 3 weeks or less.

I know many folks on MFP recommend strong lifts 5x5, that's why I'd like to try it. On the other hand, I really would like to know what this at-home program could do for my body. I am a stay-home mom and some days, it is just easier to work out at home.

I hope I did not come across as not accepting advice, just that, a little more explanation would help me leave my comfort zone to enter the intimidating weight room :)

Thanks ahead!