I'm not clear on which exercises are Cardio and which are Strength

Options
I use ClassPass so I switch up what I am doing every day. I usually do 1 rest day where I will go to a 90-minute Vinyasa class, but the other 6 days I'll alternate between:
Barry's Bootcamp (running + lifts/squats/abs, with weights)
Boxing (I often equate these classes to a HIIT since we do more than just punch the bag, often doing lunges, push ups, etc)
TRX - Another circuit class, using body weight for resistance
Barre Class- I really like the cardio barre studio, we use some light weights but I am pretty confident this is primarily cardio (I mean, it's in the name, so...)

Basically- I'm not ever going to the gym to just lift weights, but I can see and feel more muscle development and tone. And a lot of my classes do use weights and resistance training.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I take a lot of classes my but I wear an HRM. I log everything under cardio even if my classes do involve weights because I would consider it circuit training or HIIT. Time I spend specifically lifting weights I don't even log on MFP. I keep a separate log book to track that portion.

On a side note I just got my invite to Class Pass today. Really cool idea. I might try it for a couple months.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Those are all cardio.

Strength training generally involves load bearing movement.
  • mbender719
    mbender719 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Those are all cardio.

Some of these classes (specifically Barry's and TRX) so have (what I thought was) load bearing movement. For example, chest presses in TRX where your body weight is the "load" or Russian Twists (at Barry's) with a 15lb dumbell (dumbell as "load").

Hence my confusion...
  • mbender719
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I take a lot of classes my but I wear an HRM. I log everything under cardio even if my classes do involve weights because I would consider it circuit training or HIIT. Time I spend specifically lifting weights I don't even log on MFP. I keep a separate log book to track that portion.

On a side note I just got my invite to Class Pass today. Really cool idea. I might try it for a couple months.

You will love it, I'm obsessed. I've been to a class every day for 2 months, whereas before you couldn't drag me to the gym (and i couldn't afford to go to studios).

I've been logging everything as cardio as well, because MFP doesn't seem to change anything based on whether you log as cardio or strength, so I'll probably just keep on keepin' on with that until I can get a HRM. Thinking of the FitBit Charge HR but it just came out so I am waiting to see more reviews :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Those are all cardio.

Correct.

Anything that involves circuit-training or some sort of constant motion with little/no rest is generally going to be cardio/endurance training. If weights are used, typically they will be lighter and involve higher reps (12-15+)

Anything that involves specific amounts of sets/reps with real rest periods (say, 1-5 minutes between each set) and involves progressively heavier and heavier weights is generally going to be strength training. Usually rep ranges will be lower, in the 1-10 rep range depending on goals and exercises used.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Those are all cardio.

^^ this
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

DopeItUp wrote: »
    Those are all cardio.

Correct.

Anything that involves circuit-training or some sort of constant motion with little/no rest is generally going to be cardio/endurance training.

Anything that involves specific amounts of sets/reps with real rest periods and involves progressively heavier and heavier weights is generally going to be strength training.

Pretty much ^^^^

You're getting some resistance work in with those kind of things, but it's minimal...the focus is cardiovascular fitness and endurance.
  • mbender719
    Options
    Those are all cardio.

Anything that involves specific amounts of sets/reps with real rest periods and involves progressively heavier and heavier weights is generally going to be strength training.

So if I am using dumbells (Barry's) or body weight resistance (TRX), and am able to increase the weight of those dumbells OR the number of reps... this is Strength training?
  • dbmata
    Options
    mbender719 wrote: »
    Those are all cardio.

Some of these classes (specifically Barry's and TRX) so have (what I thought was) load bearing movement. For example, chest presses in TRX where your body weight is the "load" or Russian Twists (at Barry's) with a 15lb dumbell (dumbell as "load").

Hence my confusion...
    Luckily, some smart folks weighed in before I did.

I hope their extended commentary aids you in understanding.
  • dbmata
    Options
    To be more clear, I should have said load bearing movement with a progressively increasing load and intensity.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Those are all cardio.

So if I am using dumbells (Barry's) or body weight resistance (TRX), and am able to increase the weight of those dumbells OR the number of reps... this is Strength training?

I've never heard of those programs you're talking about so I really can't say. Re-read my guidelines and judge that against what you're doing.
  • mbender719
    Options
    OK I am following you all. This is making more sense.

I guess what had confused me was that I had the impression that cardio would primarily burn fat and strength training would primarily build muscle, but I'm learning that there is some overlap, since I have been building muscle through my "all cardio" routine.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

You will love it, I'm obsessed. I've been to a class every day for 2 months, whereas before you couldn't drag me to the gym (and i couldn't afford to go to studios).

I've been logging everything as cardio as well, because MFP doesn't seem to change anything based on whether you log as cardio or strength, so I'll probably just keep on keepin' on with that until I can get a HRM. Thinking of the FitBit Charge HR but it just came out so I am waiting to see more reviews :)

Good to know. The list of facilities that are participating in my area is pretty impressive. Im actually trying Barry's this weekend as they are here in connection with a hotel promo.

Once you decide on a tracker you can just customize your exercises in MFP.
  • dbmata
    Options
    since I have been building muscle through my "all cardio" routine.
    How do you know?

What analysis methodology are you using to determine that, and what has the rate of growth been? I'm always curious how people set up their analytics.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    OK I am following you all. This is making more sense.

I guess what had confused me was that I had the impression that cardio would primarily burn fat and strength training would primarily build muscle, but I'm learning that there is some overlap, since I have been building muscle through my "all cardio" routine.

If you are eating at a calorie deficit and trying to lose weight, you aren't building any appreciable amount of muscle. That's not how muscle building works. You may be shedding some fat and revealing some muscles you already had, but you are definitely not building any new muscle.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    How do you know?

What analysis methodology are you using to determine that, and what has the rate of growth been? I'm always curious how people set up their analytics.

Let me ask this - if I couldn't do ten bicep curls with a 5 lb dumbbell two months ago, and now I can do twenty bicep curls with a 10lb dumbbell, is that not an indicator of muscle growth? Or do I just have the same amount of muscle but it's better somehow?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    How do you know?

Let me ask this - if I couldn't do ten bicep curls with a 5 lb dumbbell two months ago, and now I can do twenty bicep curls with a 10lb dumbbell, is that not an indicator of muscle growth? Or do I just have the same amount of muscle but it's better somehow?

I'm curious about this as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How do you know?

An increase in muscle strength does not automatically mean an increase in muscle size or mass.

Almost all of your initial strength gains are due to more efficient muscle activation.

In the beginning one can double strength levels without seeing significant gains in muscle size.

To add: one of the more extreme examples I ever saw was a guy I tested about 18 yrs ago. He was 5'10", and weighed about 145lb. He could bench press about 250. Other than being a little larger in the chest, he looked more like a marathon runner than a power lifter.

• PeterSedesse
    Options
    Almost all ´programs´ or videos you see are cardio. Unless they are specifically telling you to increase the weight you are using every few weeks, you aren´t going to build much strength or muscle mass past the first few weeks.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    How do you know?

Stronger does not mean more muscle. I went from deadlifting 135lbs to 415lbs without gaining a pound of muscle. In fact I lost some LBM (and about 100lbs overall).