Water Drink mixes like crystal light.

Options
So I know drinking water is great for you, but I can't stand that non taste of water. So over the last year I have been adding the liquid crystal light to my water bottles. Well I will be the 1st to say I am addicted to them. Not only do I like them, but now I even have trouble drinking plain water.

I know they are not great for me, and now that my son want everything I have I am reluctant to have him drinking these as well.

Any suggestions for water bottles of other types of products that I can use to help infuse my water naturally so that I am not putting this stuff into me and my son?

Darius

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Lemon, lime or orange wedges. Cucumber or strawberry slices.

I can't drink the Crystal Light type products. Something in them tastes bitter to me (the sweetener - maybe stevia..?)
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Good question. Waiting for replies.....
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I would use cut up fruit (limes, lemons, oranges, berries etc), or brew ice tea (either plain or there are tons of options for flavored tea (watch how much sugar you use, or use a sugar substitute)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Klank2314 wrote: »
    So I know drinking water is great for you, but I can't stand that non taste of water. So over the last year I have been adding the liquid crystal light to my water bottles. Well I will be the 1st to say I am addicted to them. Not only do I like them, but now I even have trouble drinking plain water.

I know they are not great for me, and now that my son want everything I have I am reluctant to have him drinking these as well.

Any suggestions for water bottles of other types of products that I can use to help infuse my water naturally so that I am not putting this stuff into me and my son?

Darius

Why do you think they are not good for you? There is nothing wrong with them.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to eliminate them? Is there something in them that gives you a reaction? I think if they make you increase your fluids they're a good thing. I used them when I'm having trouble getting my water intake where it needs to be. Not all the time, but sometimes.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    For a while I just had a nice big glass pitcher full of water and added apple slices and cinnamon sticks. I thought it was pretty yummy. Now I just like adding straight lemon or lime juice to my water, not enough to make it lemonade, just enough for a pop of citrus
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 bottles of Mio a week.....love it!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used to hate plain water, but I've weaned myself off the flavored mixes. I started by getting ice water with lemon at restaurants (mostly because I hate paying $2.59 for a soda) and eventually realized I don't mind the taste. I was already using more water than suggested. IE, I'd use a pouch for a 20oz bottle in 32oz of water.

I'm not against artificial sweeteners. I'll still drink a can or two of diet soda a day, usually in the morning for the caffeine kick. After that, it's just plain water. I don't miss the flavor and especially don't miss buying them. (What can I say? I'm cheap.)
  • elphie754
    Options

I don't want to diss anyone's choice of beverage, but I personally refuse to drink Mio. Mio actually requires a hazardous materials placard when being transported in large quantities (being shipped to the store). The reason is, one of its main ingredients is propylene glycol (except in Canada). Propylene glycol can be used as antifreeze. While it is not as dangerous as ethylene glycol, and the amount to be poisoned is rather high, it is still labeled as a hazardous material during transportation.

We are all adults and can make our own choices, but just wanted to throw that ou there because Im not sure how many people know that.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I don't want to diss anyone's choice of beverage, but I personally refuse to drink Mio. Mio actually requires a hazardous materials placard when being transported in large quantities (being shipped to the store). The reason is, one of its main ingredients is propylene glycol (except in Canada). Propylene glycol can be used as antifreeze. While it is not as dangerous as ethylene glycol, and the amount to be poisoned is rather high, it is still labeled as a hazardous material during transportation.

We are all adults and can make our own choices, but just wanted to throw that ou there because Im not sure how many people know that.

Tropic Fusion in the US doesn't use pg - I'm allergic to it, so that's the only flavor I can use. It's irritating how many places it shows up - food coloring, flavor extracts, bottled sauces. The crap is everywhere.

I don't use them often, generally it's on hand for when I need caffeine and don't have time to do coffee or tea. To the OP, I have noticed that if I do get lazy and have a few of those in a day, I still feel kind of tired and blah. The next day when I go back to plain water I'm much better. FWIW, my son's dentist yelled at him for using them at all when he mentioned it at his last visit, so I've taken him from once in a while to not at all.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian, I flavour my waters all the time, and when I get bored with one product I switch. In the summer I wanted straight, cold water maybe with a spritz of plastic lemon or lime. Got tired of that so I went to Mio and Crystal Light. Then I found Biosteel powders and fell in love with those for several months, especially because it is the color of space pink; bound to annoy my daughter. I checked the label; the colour comes from beet juice powder, double win. Not only does it look "unnatural", the colouring is "real"! I just figured out that leftover tea in the teapot can be put in a lovely glass decanter the fridge with some plastic lemon juice and some stevia. Instant iced tea.

AND after thirty years of working at a desk job, I finally acclimatized to a tea in the morning. Loving my vanilla Chai with a packet of Nutra Sweet.

Wash out those infusers really well between uses to discourage bacteria.
  • elphie754
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Tropic Fusion in the US doesn't use pg - I'm allergic to it, so that's the only flavor I can use. It's irritating how many places it shows up - food coloring, flavor extracts, bottled sauces. The crap is everywhere.

I don't use them often, generally it's on hand for when I need caffeine and don't have time to do coffee or tea. To the OP, I have noticed that if I do get lazy and have a few of those in a day, I still feel kind of tired and blah. The next day when I go back to plain water I'm much better. FWIW, my son's dentist yelled at him for using them at all when he mentioned it at his last visit, so I've taken him from once in a while to not at all.

Yeah that's sucks. I'm allergic to red dye #40, which also seems to be in EVERYTHING lol. The only reason I knew about the pg was an ex used to drive trucks and was like what the hell am I transporting to a grocery store that requires a hazmat placard lol.

If you are loking for something quick, I use the diet Iced snapple packets. They are pretty tastey and most are dye free (not sure if all of them are). They are also pg free. They do however have aspartame but most flavor packets (crystal light etc) do.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

That's funny.

You know Propylene Glycol is a significant ingredient in medical application e.g. Asthma Inhalers - pharmaceuticals ... y 'know: medicine - and has been for more than 50 years, right?

Sensationalist scaremongering. Nothing more. Nothing less.

• elphie754
    edited February 2015
    Options

That's funny.

You know Propylene Glycol is a significant ingredient in medical application e.g. Asthma Inhalers - pharmaceuticals ... y 'know: medicine - and has been for more than 50 years, right?

Sensationalist scaremongering. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Not scaremongering at all. If I was into scaremongering, why would I be okay with aspartame?

Yes, it is used in medications, especially IV medications that do not dissolve in water (examples are diazepam and lorazepam). That's does not mean it is completely safe. It is very possible to accidentally overdose someone if they are on IV medications for a long period of time. Rare? Yes, but still possible.

While it would be very rare to accidentally ingest enough to cause harm, it is possible. And if you do accidentally or intentionally consume too much it can be toxic and cause a host of issues.

ETA: it is the concentration in Mio that causes the hazmat placard, not the substance itself. Medications that have it do not require hazmat placards, even when shipped in bulk, because the amount and concetration are too low to meet the requirement.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

I am Canadian :#
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Lemon, lime or orange wedges. Cucumber or strawberry slices.

^+1
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm Canadian, I flavour my waters all the time, and when I get bored with one product I switch. In the summer I wanted straight, cold water maybe with a spritz of plastic lemon or lime. Got tired of that so I went to Mio and Crystal Light. Then I found Biosteel powders and fell in love with those for several months, especially because it is the color of space pink; bound to annoy my daughter. I checked the label; the colour comes from beet juice powder, double win. Not only does it look "unnatural", the colouring is "real"! I just figured out that leftover tea in the teapot can be put in a lovely glass decanter the fridge with some plastic lemon juice and some stevia. Instant iced tea.

AND after thirty years of working at a desk job, I finally acclimatized to a tea in the morning. Loving my vanilla Chai with a packet of Nutra Sweet.

Wash out those infusers really well between uses to discourage bacteria.

I actually drink the same thing forever and ever, lol
    I drank this one flavor of Orange Crystal Light for nearly two decades and then they discontinued it
    Then I drank the dragon fruit one, the stopped making that last summer and now I drink the strawberry watermelon Mio.....
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    plain water is supposed to be the best for you. I have cut out diet soda's so there are times I want some flavor. I have started drinking flavored teas without any sweetener. I like celestial seasonings tangerine orange and raspberry zinger the best. I also like water with fresh cucumber as some mentioned.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you don't mind a bit of sugar, then cranberry juice is really nice mixed with water. I add around 300ml to 2L of water. I think that amount us around 30-40 calories
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I switched from diet pop to carbonated water b/c I thought that would be better for me. Turns out my body revolted against the ions in carbonated water and I broke out in a rash and developed insomnia. Now back to sweetener in drinks, got rid of the carbonated water, and I feel normal again. Weird, huh?