I am a carboholic

Options
Makterbro
Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Even though I stay within my 1200 calorie limit, I always find myself eating somewhere between 175-200 carbs a day. I love to eat things that are high in carbs like like potatoes, rice, bagels, and plantains. I know that this has been discussed over and over again but how much will cutting down to 100-150 carbs a day help me?
Edit: Yes, I am trying to lose weight.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you have a medical issue like PCOS, it might help you (I'm not sure what ranges you need to cut to for those).

If you are having problems with satiety, yes, it will probably help.

Outside of a medical issue, calorie deficit for weight loss, macros for body composition.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Makterbro wrote: »
    Even though I stay within my 1200 calorie limit, I always find myself eating somewhere between 175-200 carbs a day. I love to eat things that are high in carbs like like potatoes, rice, bagels, and plantains. I know that this has been discussed over and over again but how much will cutting down to 100-150 carbs a day help me?
    Help you to do what? Lose weight, feel more satiated? Weight loss, no. Felling more satiated, possibly. I'm around 200g's a day and I consume around 3000 calories. If I move that up my cravings for carbs increases, exponentially, so I don't do that anymore, well almost never.
  • Dominuslive
    Dominuslive Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are being active, don't count your calories the same way. It is more important to fuel yourself and carbs are very necessary. Simple carbs found in rice, potatoes, bread, and pasta are bad carbs. Eat more broccoli and heavy vegetables for your carbs. Increase your protein as well. You can easily eat 2000 calories and still lose weight. Not eating enough drops your blood sugar causing your body to tell itself to store the simple sugars as fat...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you are being active, don't count your calories the same way. It is more important to fuel yourself and carbs are very necessary. Simple carbs found in rice, potatoes, bread, and pasta are bad carbs. Eat more broccoli and heavy vegetables for your carbs. Increase your protein as well. You can easily eat 2000 calories and still lose weight. Not eating enough drops your blood sugar causing your body to tell itself to store the simple sugars as fat...

tumblr_m5olguiand1qgwqw9o1_500.gif
    BRB while I go carb up with brownies.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Your simply wrong. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, unless you are having trouble staying in your calorie limit because you aren't full or have medical issues that require you to watch carbs, you are unlikely to benefit at all. Calories are what matter for weight loss. If it's working, stick with it. The only thing I'd maybe look at, given how low your overall calorie goal is, is whether you are also getting enough protein and a reasonable amount of fat.
    If you are being active, don't count your calories the same way. It is more important to fuel yourself and carbs are very necessary.

Okay. I agree that it's good to fuel activity with carbs, generally speaking.
    Simple carbs found in rice, potatoes, bread, and pasta are bad carbs.

Argh. You aren't using "simple" carbs correctly. And on top of that people tend to use "simple" to mean bad, and that's wrong and silly. It has to do with the type of sugar. Fruit is a simple carb and potatoes (including potato chips) are complex carbs. Basically you are singling out starches, so the question becomes what's wrong with starches? They are great for fueling activity.
    Eat more broccoli and heavy vegetables for your carbs.

For fueling exercise? Also, simply no need to limit carbs to veggies.
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Our whole brain and body runs on carbs. Don't limit your carbs..eat plenty of fruits, veggies, rice..natural grains...steer clear from processed carbs though.
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Our whole brain and body runs on carbs. Don't limit your carbs..eat plenty of fruits, veggies, rice..natural grains...steer clear from processed carbs though.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

So which advice am I supposed to follow?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so you're eating 800 calories in carbs per day, leaving only 400 calories of fat and protein?

doesn't seem like you're getting enough of either, does it?

do you REALLY only consume 1200 cal? that's pretty low

have you confirmed your caloric intake my weighing your food and tracking every single bite that crosses your lips?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm pretty sure my brain just cramped up and quit working altogether after reading this. It may just have rolled over and died.