Struggling

Options
I am a busy person between university, 4 kids, work and hubby. I am so exhausted by the end of the day, (and sometimes when I wake up too!) that I just can't get motivated to exercise. I am tired to cook good and healthy food and just find myself nibbling. I know I am not doing what needs to be done, but I just find it so hard sometimes. I know my weight is contributing to my exhaustion, i just don't know what to do.

Replies

• guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You have to start small , choose one tiny goal and make yourself do it - no one can do it for you , also change your internal voice , change it for positive messages - ie " I am going to make a time for my self and enjoy a swim today "
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above: small goals no matter how small you think they are, are just steps in the right direction. Tackle what you think you can and let it build as you gain energy and confidence.

As far as time and effort for cooking, how much time do you normally put into cooking? Just do a bit of research on Pinterest or Google and you'll find a ton of recipes that are healthy AND quick to make. As you find things you like and want to try, aim to cook one new recipe a week (depending on how often you'd cook) and slowly increase that. Find quick and healthy snacks that you can buy depending on your tastes and budget (fruit, veggie sticks, cheese sticks, nuts etc). And same thing, incorporate one new snack a week and build from there.

No need to turn your life upside down all at once, or even at all really. Make small choices as they work for YOU based on your time, prefs and energy level. And then just keep making them as you find what works and get more energy and confidence :)
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • timobrien0617
    Options
    Willpower is a recourse like anything else. If you rely only on willpower you will run out. The above is correct. Small obtainable goals to start... Then become challenges you overcome. Reduce the amount of willpower it takes to start your goals. i. g. Make it easier to accomplish. Don't say I'm going to run a mile today say I'm just going to put on my jogging shoes. place those shoes right next to the Bed if your waking to workout or next to the couch if workingout in the evening and make them easier to reach than the remote!
  • shans34
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Try taking one day and cooking in bulk so it's easier throughout the week.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The crock pot can be your best friend. Healthy food doesn't have to take much time. You can cook a scrambled egg in the microwave in sixty seconds. Put it on some whole wheat bread with cheese and you have a super fast breakfast with no pans to wash. Don't feel like you have to go to the gym for an hour. Get in 30 minutes of walking in three ten minute chunks. Every little bit counts. You can do it!
  • shans34
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support. I greatly appreciate it!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Someone said this to me years ago. "When you are ready to lose the weight, you will." I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. Kind of mean, too. I mean - I wanted to lose the weight now. Well, no, I didn't. Not badly enough. When I was truly ready (and ready to put in all the work) it happened. Focus on health. Every decision you make from what you eat to how you move through this world - has to focus on healthy decisions. Small steps become big habits. Good luck.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Someone said this to me years ago. "When you are ready to lose the weight, you will." I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. Kind of mean, too. I mean - I wanted to lose the weight now. Well, no, I didn't. Not badly enough. When I was truly ready (and ready to put in all the work) it happened. Focus on health. Every decision you make from what you eat to how you move through this world - has to focus on healthy decisions. Small steps become big habits. Good luck.

Yep.

• evamerrifield
    Options
    So discouraged, haven't lost any weight in a while, I am staying at the suggested calories, still nothing. And to top it off my husband is dropping it off and he tells me I am eating too much ! At 1200 calories and under 50 carbs! !!!! Really? ? That's too much? I had gastric bypass 7 years ago, I swear I have no metabolism now
  • shans34
    Options
    I considered gastric bypass. Your husband needs a kick in the rear. My ex-husband was always trying to get me to lose weight and my father before him, neither are in my life anymore. I don't need someone like that, tell your husband to back off. My husband now is very kind and supportive, I eat healthy, he will eat healthy. I don't want treats, he won't bring them in the house. I have a great support system now. I just have a very busy life and at the end of the day, trying to come up with healthier ways to do things is just added stress. I am determined though to lose the weight, I am heavier now than I have ever been.
  • injuneer1955
    injuneer1955 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a busy person between university, 4 kids, work and hubby. I am so exhausted by the end of the day, (and sometimes when I wake up too!) that I just can't get motivated to exercise. I am tired to cook good and healthy food and just find myself nibbling. I know I am not doing what needs to be done, but I just find it so hard sometimes. I know my weight is contributing to my exhaustion, i just don't know what to do.

Believe me, it's all about baby steps. I'm 80 lbs over weight and very sedentary. I joined Fitness World and started with just 3 min on a stationary bike, adding a couple of minutes each day. I'm currently up to a straight 30 minutes. I joined that place because there is no pressure and they have TV sets so I can plug in with my ear phones and watch the news. I find once I'm focusing on something on TV the time flies and I'm burning more and more calories. I guess the key is a pleasant distraction and while my weight is falling very slowly, I have noticed I feel a lot better now .....
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Do small things for exercise, parking in the back corner of a parking lot. Walk outside during your lunch at work. Make early Sunday morning your planning time to prepare all your healthy veggies and protein for the week.

Much of your exhaustion is from excess weight. I have been there. You would be a better Mother to show your kids how to implement a diet and fitness program, and be successful. Workout as a family. Plan healthy meals as a family. ..
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Make a plan. Do advance prep. Find low calorie, filling foods you like and stock up on them.

I am out of the house for 11-12 hours a day. I bring breakfast and lunch with me to work, and plan for a fast, easy dinner.

It may be a bit more challenging for you to find a dinner plan; my housemate has adopted a (not overly strict) Paleo plan (she's lactose intolerant and carb sensitive) so dinner is baked chicken breasts diced and stirred into a simmer sauce (mostly Indian sauces but also marinara), or chicken breasts baked in salsa verde. Or grilled chicken with dipping sauce. We don't add salads (I don't; she has shredded broccoli with hers in place of rice), but it works for us.

Planning ahead and advance prep are your best bet, and making sure you get enough fats through the day to feel sated without going over your macros.