Help- I left myfitnesspal and now I have gained it all back plus

Options
Hello, I just turned 48 years old and I am so ashamed. Last winter I joined myfitnesspal and was so dedicated in logging and exercising- I had a big vacation planned with a lot of people and knew I was already the heaviest mother going- I did great - lost 30 pounds before spring break and was even good during the vacation but then.... came back home have exercised maybe 10 times in almost 10 months and have gained all my weight back- I currently weigh 200 pounds and now I need to loose 60 pounds to get at a target that is healthy. Why did I ever stop logging?? I did take on a very stressful job and kept telling myself once I get through this part of my life I will start back exercising... I am a chocolate/sweet junky and fountain pop--- although I only drink one soda a day it is a 32 oz one!! I know it's bad and I know walking up ONE flight of stairs at work is a killer- takes me 5 minutes to catch my breath.
- I need motivation and support-- my husband exercises everyday-- I have no excuses we have a home gym- I own about every exercise dvd out there lol and actually was very successful with ShaunT but now just getting motivated is a challenge I want to lose it and keep it off this time.

Replies

• steph40967
    steph40967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, first of all please stop beating yourself up. You know you have done this once so there is no reason you cant do it again. Set small goals and little rewards each time you hoot a target. Personally I cant exercise at home, I have to be out or at a gym to focus. Start logging again and make the little swaps to cut some calories. Start small, a 200 calorie deficit and go from there. To kick start the motivation dig out the photos - your best and worst and force yourself to look at them, it will give you the boost and determination. You can do it, the only one in your way is you but you are also the one that can and will do this! Be strong and be someone other people looks at and says - If she can I can too! xx
  • carriemad
    carriemad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i am right there with you! we cant change the past, we can only learn from it- and beating ourselves up wont help! I love steph40967 ideas and today is a new day!
  • CaoimheMariexo
    CaoimheMariexo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey! Please try by being more positive and forget that you gained the weight back because thats done now and you cant go back.. now just look forward and start fresh. Start off by just logging your food daily on MFP for about a week then start to bring in some exercise. I love Shaun T! So feel free to add me and i will help try keep you on track.
    What i have been doing recently is the '21 day binge free' challenge. So you draw out a calender and write at the bottom certain foods that you CAN'T have for these days. (eg. Mine is bread, sugar, chocolate, biscuits, white pasta, crisps, fizzy drinks ect.)
    Apparently it takes 21 days to create a habit and so far so good for me! (3 days left)
    And then once you're finished that you can have a cheat meal once a week!
    Goodluck on your journey! :blush:
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I get it. You need motivation. It is hard to muster up. Only you can determine when it is time to take the steps to be more active and regroup. I agree with everyone's post don't beat yourself up! Baby steps will work. Losing weight is not linear. XX
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    To get motivated I read success stories. There are so many people who have lost 100 lbs and more. I also started my log in streak at least two weeks before I was able to make any serious changes in the way I was eating. Getting in the habit of that was a small change that has paid off.

Then there's some interesting research regarding "negative reinforcement", wet a goal - something small and achievablhich I tried. Set a goal - something small and achievable. Make out an envelope, put a stamp on it and put ten dollars inside. Address it to the cause or organization that you would neverwant to contribute to - in my case it was the NRA. Then, if you don't follow through - pop it in the mail. Yes - I did have to send mine off and was so grossed out I couldn't do it again.

Positive reinforcement has definitely worked well for me. For every month I lose four pounds I buy myself a silver bangle bracelet. Of course, it doesn't need to be something expensive! - but, when I think about it, the cost of my bangle is a drop in the bucket compared to what I was spending on lots and lots of uberfattening food.

Rewards are important. A totally free and very effective reward is to simply reach over and give yourself a pat on the back. Moving your focus over to your successes instead of your shortcomings takes time, but a pat on the back is a physical reminder that has more impact than just a passing congratulatory thought.

I hope a couple of these might be "food for thought" :) . They are all research-based.
    Welcome back!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome back. As you start, maybe ponder WHY you gained it back. Then work toward making some lasting changes so this will be the last time you ever have to post this. You can do it!! Good luck!
  • classicalbk
    classicalbk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't hate yourself. We've all been there. Some things that have worked for me:
    1. 100% raw cacao in my morning breakfast smoothie. Getting my chocolate first thing (without added fats and sugar) takes care of cravings all day. My latest version is 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup cold coffee, 1 TBS raw 100% cacao, and 1 scoop nutritional powder (I use Vega - but read labels and get something low carb/low sugar), maybe a little cinnamon and/or vanilla and blend with ice. It gives me a boost, makes me happy, and keeps me until lunch.
    2. Having tracked on MFP carefully for a while, I see my weight loss in my case is more about what I eat than what I do at the gym; still, I go to the gym and see my personal trainer twice a week. I like the idea of becoming stronger for its own sake but knowing that I will be seen, helps me keep on track with what I'm eating. Maybe a personal trainer would be a good investment for a few months at least.
    3. When I decided to quit my Diet Coke addiction (nasty stuff!), I kept unsweetened ice green tea on hand and guzzled that down. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, since I had something healthy right there to turn to.
    4. Look at youtube videos about how processed foods are made to be addictive ON PURPOSE. Knowing this helped me get mad in a positive way.
    5. Best wishes! Hang in there!
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I get it. You need motivation. It is hard to muster up. Only you can determine when it is time to take the steps to be more active and regroup. I agree with everyone's post don't beat yourself up! Baby steps will work. Losing weight is not linear. XX

I agree, weight loss is not linear - you will have ups and downs. The key is to make sustainable lifestyle changes, things you can do forever to live healthy. Best of luck along the journey we all share.

• TiSeven
    TiSeven Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Butter,

I HAVE DESSERT ISSUES, too.

Cut back to your favorite desserts & chocolate.

Only buy a single / small serving.

Log every day.

Former Rolly Bro.
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    TiSeven wrote: »
    Butter,

I HAVE DESSERT ISSUES, too.

Cut back to your favorite desserts & chocolate.

Only buy a single / small serving.

Log every day.

Former Rolly Bro.

Good advice. The main things that have helped me thus far include:

- No eating after 8pm
    - Get up early and workout before going to work (stationary bike while watching TV)
    - No desserts
    - Weigh myself every day (keeps me accountable to myself)

We all have different things that work for us so, use what works, discard what doesn't work for you and stay motivated - this community will help.

Best regards,

Ogopogo