Body Composition

Options
Hi, i had my body composition analyzed today and here are my results.

Body Type: Standard
Height: 161 cm
Weight: 47.7
BMI: 18.4
BMR: 1327 kcal
Impedance: 619
Fat% : 14.7%
Fat Mass: 7.0 kg
FFM: 40.7 kg
TBW: 29.8 kg

What do you think? Woman at the gym told me that my muscle mass is low, but i don't know how much it should be.

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The woman at the gym is wrong! 14.7% is fantastic for women! around 12% is where you see abs so you are in great shape! although Im almost positive your BMR estimation is way too low, most women lose weight at 1600cals so there is no way your BMR is 1300
  • Nomoreshh1
    Options
    No, no, she said my fat mass is great but my impedance is low. And as far as i know (from online calculations) my bmr is pretty basic, quite normal for my height and weight. Thanks for the reply.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The woman at the gym is wrong! 14.7% is fantastic for women! around 12% is where you see abs so you are in great shape! although Im almost positive your BMR estimation is way too low, most women lose weight at 1600cals so there is no way your BMR is 1300

12% bodyfat on a woman is VERY low.

OP do you still get your period?
  • Nomoreshh1
    Options
    Yes, i never lost my period ever. And honestly havent gained or lost much weight in three years -it is always between 46-49. According to online calculations my fat percentage should be around 16-17% but the device showed 14%, i am confused too.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nomoreshh1 wrote: »

What do you think? Woman at the gym told me that my muscle mass is low, but i don't know how much it should be.

LOLwut?

Tell that woman where she can stuff it.

• Nomoreshh1
    Options

LOLwut?

Tell that woman where she can stuff it.

Sorry, i couldnt quite understand what you meant by that.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    For women? We see our abs way before 12%. Maintaining a BF% of 12 for a woman could lead to health issues such as missing periods and depressed immunity.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

This. at 14% she WOULD be seeing abs. And who are these "most women"? I lose weight at 2000+ calories. I lose my sanity at 1600 calories.

As far as your muscle mass being low, yeah... it's really not that high. like 90lbs of lean mass. BUT you are also 105lbs. So in relation to your total weight, your lean mass is fine. If you are not seeing muscular definition and you want to, it's because you just don't have enough muscle actually built up. Bulking at your stats would be a good idea.

So lean mass is more than just muscle. Meaning you very well can have a fair bit of lean mass for your weight, but also still not have all that much muscle.
  • Nomoreshh1
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

This. at 14% she WOULD be seeing abs. And who are these "most women"? I lose weight at 2000+ calories. I lose my sanity at 1600 calories.

As far as your muscle mass being low, yeah... it's really not that high. like 90lbs of muscle mass. BUT you are also 105lbs. So in relation to your total weight, your lean mass is fine. If you are not seeing muscular definition and you want to, it's because you just don't have enough muscle actually built up. Bulking at your stats would be a good idea.

So lean mass is more than just muscle. Meaning you very well can have a fair bit of lean mass for your weight, but also still not have all that much muscle.

When i was 46 kgs i could see my abs but not anymore. I dont workout often and i am not very strong. How much should my impedance ideally be? I am going to start weight training but also i dont really know much about this stuff either.
  • ana3067
    Options

As far as your muscle mass being low, yeah... it's really not that high. like 90lbs of muscle mass. BUT you are also 105lbs. So in relation to your total weight, your lean mass is fine. If you are not seeing muscular definition and you want to, it's because you just don't have enough muscle actually built up. Bulking at your stats would be a good idea.

When i was 46 kgs i could see my abs but not anymore. I dont workout often and i am not very strong. How much should my impedance ideally be? I am going to start weight training but also i dont really know much about this stuff either.

You are like 4lbs heavier. That is not enough of a difference to make you lose any definition. I'm going to assume that lack of definition is due to things like water retention and bloating, not having muscle there to begin with, or that it's all in your head and you actually do have some definition and it's just not what you imagine it should be. I have no idea what impedance means in this context.

Look into beginner strength training full body routines done 3x a week. LIke StrongLIfts, I think New Rules of Lifting is another one... Eat at your weight maintenance calories or if youd'd like to put on some muscle then eat at a slight surplus. Eat 90g of protein (your lean mass in lbs), or you can always do 0.82 x your total weight in lbs for a similar number.

• Nomoreshh1
    Options

You are like 4lbs heavier. That is not enough of a difference to make you lose any definition. I'm going to assume that lack of definition is due to things like water retention and bloating, not having muscle there to begin with, or that it's all in your head and you actually do have some definition and it's just not what you imagine it should be. I have no idea what impedance means in this context.

Look into beginner strength training full body routines done 3x a week. LIke StrongLIfts, I think New Rules of Lifting is another one... Eat at your weight maintenance calories or if youd'd like to put on some muscle then eat at a slight surplus. Eat 90g of protein (your lean mass in lbs), or you can always do 0.82 x your total weight in lbs for a similar number.

I think you got me wrong. 46 was when i started seeing a little bit of definition. Then there comes excessive consuming of alcohol, gaining 2 kgs, and its all gone. I honestly never thought my bodyfat was this low, i was assuming that i was skinny fat. I am thin with not much definition. My question actually was that,
    1) according to what did this lady tell me that my muscle mass is low?
    2) how much should my impedance (she showed me that at my stats saying it is low) be to be considered fit?
    3) what should i do to get leaner without losing nor gaining fat?
  • ana3067
    Options

I think you got me wrong. 46 was when i started seeing a little bit of definition. Then there comes excessive consuming of alcohol, gaining 2 kgs, and its all gone. I honestly never thought my bodyfat was this low, i was assuming that i was skinny fat. I am thin with not much definition. My question actually was that,
    2) how much should my impedance (she showed me that at my stats saying it is low) be to be considered fit?

Because there wasn't enough muscle there to begin with to be visible and because you started retaining more water due to your alcohol consumption.

You are thin with not much definition at 14% BF because you simply do not have all that much muscle mass to begin with.

1) I'm guessing she told you your muscle mass is low based on your physical appearance?
    2) I do not know what impedance means. So I have no idea.
    3) You want to lean out without losing any body fat? THen you will not lean out, because leaning out = losing body fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What method was used to get these numbers?
  • ana3067
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What method was used to get these numbers?

This is also important. If it was e.g. a scale, then none of this info is correct/accurate. If it was e.g. DEXA scan, then it is accurate. In which case you should look into bulking so you can have muscle mass so you can then lean out and have musular definition.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I think you are confusing BMR and TDEE.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Scales and calculators can be way off and most people are very off with visual estimates as well. This is a good example: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166169031
  • Nomoreshh1
    Options

Because there wasn't enough muscle there to begin with to be visible and because you started retaining more water due to your alcohol consumption.

You are thin with not much definition at 14% BF because you simply do not have all that much muscle mass to begin with.

1) I'm guessing she told you your muscle mass is low based on your physical appearance?
    2) I do not know what impedance means. So I have no idea.
    3) You want to lean out without losing any body fat? THen you will not lean out, because leaning out = losing body fat.

Oh, i mean getting fitter, then.

Yes it was Tanita Body Composition Analyzer. I am kinda relieved now, as i never thought my bodyfat was this low either.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The other thing to take into consideration is that you are 18 :) Adding some strength training will be very helpful to your overall health, as well as increasing cardio fitness. No need to get obsessive about it, either. This is just a time in your life to develop healthy habits can will sustain you moving forward.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I use one of these scales in the chemist. The weight is correct and I read all the other info but don't read too much into it. I am the healthiest I have ever been, starting to see muscle definition in my legs, thighs.. I feel great and my diet has never been better. I eat at 1400 cals (BMR) + exercise cals (and usually more!) each day.
    Having a fast metabolism means I'm hungry a lot so I listen to my body.. If I'm still hungry, I eat more and drink plenty of water. I have been maintaining my weight for a few months easily like this, but that is just how my body works. I have started running 5km+ a few times a week too and eat more on these days if I'm still hungry.

I am 160cm and usually sit around 55kgs.

Impedence means: Measured in Ohms, this value reflects the strength and speed of an electrical signal travelling through the body. Muscle is the signal's highway, and fat mass is like a traffic jam. More muscle means it's easier for the signal to pass through your body, resulting in a lower impedance falue and % of body fat.
    (found on google if you look up "understanding your TANITA(R) Print-out)

I don't really worry about this stuff.. I feel & look healthier and just check in on my weight every now and again to see if I'm going okay :smile:
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Was this 'woman at the gym' a staff member or simply a 'woman at the gym'? Either way she's wrong :)