Cauliflower and spaghetti squash

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Definitely try roasting cauliflower before giving up on it. I love it that way.
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    FYI spaghetti squash is incredibly easy and inexpensive to grow. Cauliflower is a different story.

Both are amazing veggies, that you can do an incredible amount with. I like to make Mashed Cauliflower. Its just as good if not better than mashed potatoes.

For spaghetti squash I like to make it with roasted veggies, olives, grilled chicken, and feta. Yum Yum.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i cannot stand spaghetti squash but cauliflower mmmmm roasted cauliflower is so good
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash and cauliflower. Spaghetti squash saved my life. My favorite comfort food is spaghetti and meatballs. Using the squash instead of regular pasta cuts the calories dramatically. I mean it when I say I don't miss pasta. I like the squash way better. As for cauliflower I haven't tried it any way but as a side but I want to try the recipe where you use it as a substitute for rice in fried rice. Also eggplant instead of lasagna noodles is awesome too.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower but have never tried any of the recipes. Sadly I have never tried spaghetti squash!
  • sryan921
    sryan921 Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!

Yeah, it may seem strange I've never had it, but I've never been a veggie person.

I'll definitely be trying a lot of these ideas, thanks everybody!
    (not sure how someone ends up a cauliflower virgin as it's one of the most common veggies everywhere I've lived).
  • lecanto1
    lecanto1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash quite a bit. Lately it's 99 cents per pound at the local produce stand. I don't think it's a sub for pasta though, not really. But it's great, anyway. I like cauliflower too, but again, it doesn't do it for me, as a substitute for potatoes. Not at all. I like it just steamed as a side dish. Also, I do boil it & puree it to add to cream soups. I love cream of potato leek soup & made one tonight with pureed cauliflower & heavy cream, but no potatoes. It came out good.
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't care too much for spaghetti squash. I usually do zucchini/summer squash noodles instead of pasta. Jarred spaghetti sauce for a quick supper... or take time and make a homemade chicken alfredo.

Mashed cauliflower is a good substitute for mashed potatoes (I'm diabetic and avoid carbs as much as possible). The key to mashing cauliflower is using a potato ricer (a hand-held tool that's like a Play-Doh Fun Factory, lol). I did a lot of trial and error trying to get the texture right (masher, electric mixer), and the ricer works best. And you don't need as much milk/butter with mashed cauliflower, I think because cauliflower isn't starchy like potatoes.

Still haven't tried the cauliflower pizza crust. Will have to experiment with that. :)
  • WillCams
    Options
    I must admit I hated cauliflower until cauliflower fried rice. Cauliflower fried rice is currently the hit in my house. Kids first thought it was actually rice and yammed it down, so now it is requested alot. So I'm happy, it reduces the carb load, tastse great and the kids are happy to eat another vegetable. Whats not to like