Can you do too much cardio?

Options
Hi everyone,I'm wondering if it's possible to do too much cardio.If so,how much is too much?
I started out early last Summer & I could only do 15min of cardio at the most.
This past Fall I got up to 60min.I was so proud of myself for getting up to a full hour.I've been pushing myself & I'm almost up to 80min(77min this morning) & I'm noticing some pain for the first time.Nothing major,just some mild cramping & soreness.I'm wondering if I may be doing more harm than good.My goal is to burn 2000 calories a day doing cardio.I burned approx. 1,254 cals this morning.
I can't lift weights for awhile because I hurt my shoulder so I'm trying to make up for the loss with extra cardio.Also I stretch for 5-10min before & after I workout & I make sure I'm properly hydrated throughout my session.
I remember reading somewhere that too much cardio can be detrimental to your health,but can't remember any other details.

Thanks for any helpful advice you can provide.

Replies

• wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Do lower body exercises instead. Squats, lunges, sit ups. I think you ARE doing too much. 2000 calories a day is a lot - why do you want to burn that much? All you'll do is burn yourself out. It's not sustainable. If you have pain, you need to slow down. and yeh, too much cardio can have a negative effect - I don't know specifics either but Ill try find some research
  • wrecktechno
    Options
    Do a google search for 'too much cardio + research'. It seems from a lot of the hits that too much cardio is detrimental - read only reputable websites as there's a lot of heresay and crap on the internet pushing false information. You can't cheat the system by doing excessive amounts thinking that it'll help. Weight loss is a slow process (I assume that's what you're going for).
  • jtr357
    jtr357 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you wrecktechno.I appreciate your advice.
    I'll start doing some lunges & squats.Maybe some ab exercises too.I'm trying to lose 2lbs a week.It's hard though.Sometimes I don't lose anything or maybe a half a pound or something.It's frustrating to say the least.I do have a habit of overdoing everything I get into.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Can you do less time but more intense?
    Instead of running at a steady pace, sprint between every third lamp post (or for 30secs every 2mins on the treadmill)
    Add some hills/incline etc
    Something like this http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Fat-Blasting-Interval-Treadmill-Workout-32374646

Isn't 2000cals almost a 20mile run?!
  • jtr357
    Options
    I do most of all my cardio on an exercise bike with the tension at about 3/4.I can't run because of bad knees & lower back.
  • jtr357
    Options
    Yes it is about 20mi on the bike,alysme.
  • SamanthaRMichel
    SamanthaRMichel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your body also can get use to workouts. I would vary it up, maybe through in some core strengthening to help with your back. If you do decide to do lower body workouts (and any workout) use good form. Very important!
  • jtr357
    Options
    Yes thanks Samantha.I know about good form.It's the reason I tore both my rotator cuffs.I'm extremely careful now.
  • cplate
    cplate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why not add in some other machines .... rowing, aero bike and body weight exercises - burpees , mt. climbers, speed skates, kettle bell swings. All of these are good short burst of cardio. You can switch it up and do sets of exercises and do 20-30 seconds on with a 10 second break...
  • jtr357
    Options
    I have to stick with lower body workouts for now,until my shoulder is feeling better,or until after my surgery,cplate.I do some aerobics to mix it up some.
  • wrecktechno
    Options
    cplate wrote: »
    Why not add in some other machines .... rowing, aero bike and body weight exercises - burpees , mt. climbers, speed skates, kettle bell swings. All of these are good short burst of cardio. You can switch it up and do sets of exercises and do 20-30 seconds on with a 10 second break...

These all involve using his hurt shoulder. Best he avoids them for now, but once his shoulder is healed then they're great
  • jtr357
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.I was mostly looking for an explanation of what happens if you do too much cardio & why it's detrimental.I'll just look it up.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jtr357 wrote: »
    My goal is to burn 2000 calories a day doing cardio.I burned approx. 1,254 cals this morning.

Your burn estimates are overblown. Like...WAY...overblown.

Tour de France level riders don't burn that many calories, that quickly.

Cut your number by 65%, for starters.

• jtr357
    Options
    Okay thanks Mr.Knight
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that too much cardio can be detrimental to your health,but can't remember any other details.

That's nonsense, however without a specific objective it sounds as if you're reaching the limits of what's useful. Sounds like you appreciate that you need to balance resistance and CV work, so it's a question of finding some way to do enough resistance work whilst you're injured. As upthread, focus on legs and core.

The point about the volume of CV work is that you're not doing much. I'm a long distance runner, so for me doing 3-4 hours of training has a purpose, equally some of my sessions are fairly short. For a short session I'll do higher intensity work to improve lactate threshold performance or VO2Max, whereas the LSD runs are about aerobic base and training the system to perform whilst fatigued. You don't seem to need that sort of training, so keep your sessions shorter, but up the intensity.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You can do too much of anything. I take a lot of classes as well as teach group fitness and I try to balance out cardio and strength. I've also learned to take days off to recover. Overtraining is dangerous to your health.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Yes it is about 20mi on the bike,alysme.

You're doubling the likely actual calorie expenditure there.
    About 20 miles will give me about 1000 cals on the bike.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,I'm wondering if it's possible to do too much cardio.If so,how much is too much?.
    My advice is not to do anything you won't do long term. Picture your life 5 years after you've met your goals. What is your exercise then? Do that exercise now.

Otherwise, your weight will yo-yo down and then back up.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My goal is to burn 2000 calories a day doing cardio.

In addition to fat, you will burn protein and lean tissue. Stop, but even if you ignore the advice, you're going to hit a physiological wall soon enough and that will stop you.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I do most of all my cardio on an exercise bike with the tension at about 3/4.I can't run because of bad knees & lower back.

I think that if you know you have a bad back, knees, and shoulder, you should be kind to your body, because maybe it's vulnerable. (Speaking from experience.) Do less cardio and do it moderately, I would say, and try to make up the difference with diet, using the 1-2 lb/week setting. Even if you've got a lot to lose, that's what's most sustainable all around.