I think my scale is wrong

Options
According to it I've lost 6lbs in two weeks. I didn't think that was possible.

Replies

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's possible. I lost quickly when I started. Just keep up the good work :)
  • packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I'm glad if it's correct. I just didn't WANT to lose it fast because I've heard that when you do you can gain it back and then some. Or ist just with DIET pills or something like that? Now that is something I will NOT do.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I'm glad if it's correct. I just didn't WANT to lose it fast because I've heard that when you do you can gain it back and then some. Or ist just with DIET pills or something like that? Now that is something I will NOT do.

You probably will gain a bit of it back because you've likely lost some water weight. Unless you gain all the weihgt back and then some, just focus on the overall trend. Most people lose more in the beginning anyways, then it evens out. If your calorie intake goals are reasonable and you are eating back at least half of your exercise calories then you should start losing a bit more slowly soon enough.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If this is your first two weeks, that's normal. A lot of water weight comes off when you start, then your rate of loss will slow down.
  • packersfan0103
    Options
    Well I did find this "weight loss" recipe for water. I have one of those infuser water bottles and I've been drinking it on a daily basis. I actually have 2 bottles, 26 oz each. I prepare them both and off to work they go with me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds in my first month (so average 5 pounds a week).

I'm now 9 months into this and it's all averaged out to a good, healthy rate of loss. It's not about a single week, or two - it's about an average over time.

As long as you're eating enough (at least 1200) and feeling good, don't worry about it.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It's possible. Some is probably water weight. Also, weight loss isn't linear, some weeks you may lose none and others you could get a whoosh and lose up to 5 (possibly more, though that hasn't happened to me).
    Averages and trends over time are what will help you determine if you're losing at too fast or too slow of a rate. 2 weeks is not enough time to gauge or get worried just yet.

And even if your scale is wrong, it's probably not wrong about how much weight you have lost. :)
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Not unusual!! I only had 20 to lose and 8 peeled off in the first month, not to reappear. It WAY slowed down after that.

Partly, I am sure I was carrying around the last several days worth of overeating in my digestive tract when I started ... pardon the gross. And that disappeared fast of course. And then as others have said, water weight. Don't worry, keep up what you are doing and all should be well.

If in another few weeks you think you are still losing too abruptly you can change your goals, right?
  • packersfan0103
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds in my first month (so average 5 pounds a week).

I'm now 9 months into this and it's all averaged out to a good, healthy rate of loss. It's not about a single week, or two - it's about an average over time.

As long as you're eating enough (at least 1200) and feeling good, don't worry about it./quote]

When I put my info into the MFP app it gave me 1410 as my goal. I was end up short because as I like to say "I'm not DIETING I've changed my eating habits".
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I was curious to see if my scale was wrong too, so I went and bought a couple cheap 3lb weights. I got on the scale first without the weights, and then I grabbed them and hopped on again to see if it was up around 6 pounds. That's when I found out my new scale is fairly accurate, and my old scale was way off.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about losing too quickly. You shouldn't try to lose that fast, but the occasional rapid weight loss is okay. The reason people who lose weight quickly gain it back is because they don't train themselves to eat properly. A person could lose a lot by fasting, but they wouldn't know how much to eat to maintain once they went off the fast, so they would go back to old habits.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Well I did find this "weight loss" recipe for water. I have one of those infuser water bottles and I've been drinking it on a daily basis. I actually have 2 bottles, 26 oz each. I prepare them both and off to work they go with me.

You are consuming less calories, that's all. The "weight loss" water recipe is just a mental motivator, in that if you drink this you will lose weight. Nothing wrong with that motivation, just make sure you are getting enough calories overall.

That said, the six pounds is probably just that initial water weight, plus it almost always comes off quickly at first. It will slow down.

Keep up the good work.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs in the first two weeks. Now my weight loss has leveled out to about a pound a week. Nothing odd about it, just your body shedding excess water
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I lost 6lbs in the first week, and 6 lbs in the 6 weeks that followed the first week, so 12lbs in 7 weeks. Don't worry about it, it doesn't sound like you're crash dieting (which often leads to gaining it back), just keep it up and don't be disappointed if the weight loss slows down.
  • jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My weight dropped 5 pounds in 24 hours this week. This is how my weight has always changed. It will be the same for a couple weeka and then all of a sudden its a jump. Doesn't matter if its going up or down. And its not water weight for me because it stays the same. Everybody is different.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    To be fair, I am not trying to lose quickly either and am doing the whole eat right with treats in moderation, and exercise thing. Yet I typically lose 2-3 lbs a week. I usually eat 1400-1800 calories a day and am not going too crazy with activities, gym a couple times a week, aqua aerobics once a week, and walking. If you have a lot to lose, your body will burn more so you lose more. I expect that as I get smaller, my rate of loss will slow, and that's OK. If you have a lot to lose then a faster rate of loss might be OK so long as you are doing it safely and not simply crash dieting.