84g of sugar

Options
just logged all my food from today and found I ate 84g of sugar !!! I feel disgusting and bloated and can almost feel the weight piling on! Help???! :s:'(

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    On average I do that, plus more.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'd be more focused on total calories.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    336 calories, relax. You'll do more harm with cortisol stress spike from over reacting than from 84g of sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you didn't exceed your maintenance calories, you won't gain weight. (If you did, you can still adjust for the week and keep your weekly deficit.) If you have a calorie deficit, the amount of sugar you ate (which could be from fruit or veggies anyway, sugar is ridiculously demonized) does not matter.

If the sugar is added sugar and reflects a diet less healthy overall or less balanced than you like, you can certainly work on lowering it, but that's a different issue than weight gain. There seems to be a superstition that eating sugar magically causes weight to pile on, but that's not accurate. Going nuts with low nutrient, calorie dense foods when you are trying to eat at a deficit can make it harder, but many find that keeping some of these foods in their diet in moderate amounts makes it easier--that's just personal choice.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

your progress is ruined….

seriously, I eat 100+ a day and have no issues…do don't worry about it…focus on calorie/macro/micro goal
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not what makes you fat, excess calories is.
  • loverpie
    loverpie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    if your goal is to lose weight, just cut back on unnecessary sugars. Carbs bring in lots of that sugar. So cut back on fruit and processed foods.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Sugar is not what makes you fat, excess calories is.

^^Yupp. If you're still in a deficit, you'll be okay.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sugar levels, I swapped it out for Potassium. I tend to be way under my Carb goals every day but still meet or surpass my fiber goals, so I just assume that my sugar levels are pretty stable.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    84 g of sugar is nothing. I have my target set to 90 g daily, don't eat sweets often and frequently get to that level just from all the fruit and dairy I eat. Oh, and I've lost 160 lbs.

Bottom line: unless you have been medically diagnosed with a metabolic problem like diabetes, sugar is no big deal and MFP's sugar targets are unreasonably low for most people.

Also, calling yourself disgusting for your food choices is a sign that you have a very unhealthy relationship with food and your body (not to mention, it's potentially hurtful or triggering for other people around here who have actual weight problems and/or eating disorders). Try to relax. Get help if you can't relax on your own.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    just logged all my food from today and found I ate 84g of sugar !!! I feel disgusting and bloated and can almost feel the weight piling on! Help???! :s:'(

I've hit 118 g and I'll probably have more. Unless you have a medical issue there is no reason to overly worry about sugar. Keep an eye on overall calories eat a variety of foods, It's all about balance. I've lost 141 pounds and I eat a lot of fruit so my sugar is always high especially as MFPs goal is ridiculously low. Sugar is not the bogeyman the reason you fee like you do is psychological. If you have these sort of feelings often maybe talk to a professional about them as it's not a healthy way to think
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Oh please, don't cry over that. I've eaten WAY more than that and I'm losing weight just fine. Focus on your calorie deficit. The world isn't gonna end. :huh:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    loverpie wrote: »
    if your goal is to lose weight, just cut back on unnecessary sugars. Carbs bring in lots of that sugar. So cut back on fruit and processed foods.

LOL NO …

geez...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

If the goal is to lose weight... cut back unnecessary calories.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Would you have felt that way had you not logged your food?

Logging is good to bring awareness for sure.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Your first post. And that's what you came up with?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

LOL NO …

geez...

Why no??????

If the goal is to lose weight, then the OP obviously need to be in a deficit. Excess sugar is Unnecessary - unless of course you are ignorant enough to believe that the body needs more than 84g of dietary sugar per day??

Geez!

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

LOL NO …

geez...

Why no??????

If the goal is to lose weight, then the OP obviously need to be in a deficit. Excess sugar is Unnecessary - unless of course you are ignorant enough to believe that the body needs more than 84g of dietary sugar per day??

Geez!

why would OP cut back on fruit? Are you saying that is bad now?

maybe you should read through stuff before you decide to wk stuff.

the point is OP can eat 84 grams of sugar, be in deficit, and lose weight. < unless you are disputing that too???
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

great advice.

Dietary sugar is probably one the least healthy food sources and one of the easiest to over consume in regards to putting yourself in a calorie surplus.