Water intoxication?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm about 2 weeks into my weight loss journey and looking for a little advice. I've been told to drink as much water as I can in a day. According to most calculators for best weight loss I should be drinking about 100oz. I've been drinking about 130oz-140oz. Is this too much? I'm pretty sedentary, I work a desk job. Exercise a couple times a week. Looking to lose about 45lbs. I hadn't heard of water intoxication before but now that I've looked into it it seems pretty serious. Should I just stick to 100oz per day?

Thanks!

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't drinking it all at one time, after losing a lot of the sodium in your body through sweat, then this isn't something you really have to worry about. Most cases of water intoxication happen during things like marathons or water-drinking contests, when a lot of water is consumed very quickly.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No it isn't too much.

Water intoxication happens when someone drinks an astronomical amount of water in a short period of time. (like the woman in California who drank 6 liters in like 2 hours). It over loads the kidneys and causes the fluid to build up.

As long as you are consuming throughout the day and not all at once you should be okay.
  • kbeard26
    kbeard26 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight but you should be fine. Some people that are in the gym hardcore drink 2 gallons a day. Its more people that die from not drinking enough water than drinking too much.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others but want to mention, drinking water in no way makes you lose weight.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication happens when someone drinks an astronomical amount of water in a short period of time, which I did once when trying to pee for a urine test. I ended up in the hospital on an IV, but that's an anomaly.

The guideline is 1 - 1.2 oz/pound of weight, but I drink about half that and have noticed definite differences in my skin, pee color, and regularity. As others have said, it doesn't increase weight loss.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have seen it with dementia, psychosis and diabetes insipidus. The average person will feel sick way before it gets dangerous. Theres usually a few runners or cyclists a year thatpush too many fluids during endurance typed races.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hyponatremia is rare. Can happen, but it's usually an absurd amount of water to be consumed in a short time period. If it's taking you ALL DAY to drink a lot of water, then you're probably fine.
    In most cases, people really don't need to consume more than the "recommended" 64 oz of water a day unless they are a pretty elite athlete.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The chances of you getting water intoxication are low, unless you are chugging a large amount in a short period of time (like those who drink multiple liters in contests), or if you are an elite athlete (such as running a marathon).

From Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/

Hyponatremia, a word cobbled together from Latin and Greek roots, translates as "insufficient salt in the blood." Quantitatively speaking, it means having a blood sodium concentration below 135 millimoles per liter, or approximately 0.4 ounces per gallon, the normal concentration lying somewhere between 135 and 145 millimoles per liter. Severe cases of hyponatremia can lead to water intoxication, an illness whose symptoms include headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, frequent urination and mental disorientation.

Most cases of water poisoning do not result from simply drinking too much water, says Joseph Verbalis, chairman of medicine at Georgetown University Medical Center. It is usually a combination of excessive fluid intake and increased secretion of vasopression (also called antidiuretic hormone), he explains. Produced by the hypothalamus and secreted into the bloodstream by the posterior pituitary gland, vasopressin instructs the kidneys to conserve water. Its secretion increases in periods of physical stress—during a marathon, for example—and may cause the body to conserve water even if a person is drinking excessive quantities.
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    My dog does this (not comparing you to the dog), he will guzzle gallons of water fast if it's hot out. I have to limit his water (he's 105 lbs) because if he does this, he will throw it up, and then have a massive seizure. The seizure will last up to 10 minutes, and I usually have to drag him into the shade until he recovers. He's an inside dog, but if i leave water out he will drink until it's gone. Nothing medically wrong with him, he is just obsessed with drinking.
    I would say if drinking that much is making you feel ill, to cut back. Otherwise, you're probably fine.