Bulking

Hi there, looking to gain weight and bulk up as I've got quite a low body fat and a ectomorph body type. I want to put on some solid mass and I'm eating around 3000 calories a day at the moment.

Does anybody have any good ideas of some good foods to eat or snack on which are high in carbs/calories/protein, and also any decent methods of training which will mosh benefit building a stronger, bigger frame?

Would be great to here some advice!

Replies

• _sambaxter
    _sambaxter Posts: 5 Member
    Currently 18 years old and weighing 61.9 kg too
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    what is your current lifting regimen like? How long have you been lifting for?

ice cream, bagels, full fat cottage cheese and greek yogurt, cookies, chicken, steak, rice, pasta, etc are all your friends…

• beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Starting Strength, Stronglifts, AllPro's, Fierce 5, ICF 5x5...all are great programs for any beginner to develop a solid foundation of both strength & mass.

As far as food choices. Eat what you enjoy. During my first bulk, I was also right around 3,200 calories/day (at the start) and found it difficult initially to pack my calories in so I frequented places such as McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc. to grab burgers, pizza, anything and everything I could get my hands on.

These foods are often very calorie & nutrient dense, but easy to consume without feeling full/stuffed so you still have plenty of room to get in more calories.

Please, do not respond with, 'But they're unhealthy!'. NO THEY'RE NOT.
    There are no "unhealthy foods", just unhealthy diets.

Place your emphasis of your dietary intake on whole foods, and home cooked meals that are well balanced to include plenty of fruits and veggies, but don't be afraid to get yourself a burger or two, or few slices of pizza, on a daily basis to help you in hitting your targets.
  • Don't do the ice cream and bagel thing if you want good skin and energy.. A great thing to get is "Tahina" sesame seed spread (kind of like peanut butter) it tastes great and has 700 calories per 100g
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    gjmhuston wrote: »
    Don't do the ice cream and bagel thing if you want good skin and energy.. A great thing to get is "Tahina" sesame seed spread (kind of like peanut butter) it tastes great and has 700 calories per 100g

Wait, carbs aren't a good source of energy. TIL...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Don't do the ice cream and bagel thing if you want good skin and energy.. A great thing to get is "Tahina" sesame seed spread (kind of like peanut butter) it tastes great and has 700 calories per 100g
    No. I eat ice cream and bagels just about every day for the past two decades. I have plenty of energy and my skin has me looking at least 10 years younger than my age.

*Real peanut butter too...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member

This is getting really old. Aye, carbs are *kitten* useless for energy, right?! Are you spreading that on your face for the good skin?!
  • ndj1979

get the heck of off this forum ..

carbs are not a good source of energy…really?

oh wait let me guess bagels and ice cream are "bad" right…right….right??????
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    "All food, be it ice cream, rice, butter, steak, chicken, oatmeal, blueberries, Little Debbie cakes, will ultimately be broken down into it's basic components. Carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, amino acids, etc. To label food as 'good' or 'bad' is just ignorance of how our bodies work."

-Me
  • ndj1979
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    "All food, be it ice cream, rice, butter, steak, chicken, oatmeal, blueberries, Little Debbie cakes, will ultimately be broken down into it's basic components. Carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, amino acids, etc. To label food as 'good' or 'bad' is just ignorance of how our bodies work."

-Me

LOL

agreed...
  • gjmhuston wrote: »
    Don't do the ice cream and bagel thing if you want good skin and energy..

Where do you get this information? I'd really really love to know your sources. Websites? Oprah? Dr Oz?

If you could list a few, I'd like to take a look. TIA
  • elfman5150 wrote: »

-Me

Nice. Someone told me arsenic was bad for me. Idiots. If they only knew what you told me.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member

-Me

Nice. Someone told me arsenic was bad for me. Idiots. If they only knew what you told me.

Shame it's far more present in your brown rice, fruit and veggies than any of the above then, dipshit. Be careful out there! :)

• 3laine75 wrote: »
    Shame it's far more present in your brown rice, fruit and veggies than any of the above then, dipshit. Be careful out there! :)

You mad brah? Sad how people get so butthurt on here over the littlest things. Must be their awesome diet that keeps them calm, cool, and relax :D
  • elfman5150

Yea, since I was clearly advocating taking arsenic and poison. Paint with lead is also truly good for curing dysentery, don't you know? Gosh I love it when people take what someone else says to the extreme, and feel like they've won the argument. But I'll let you believe that.

I'm also going to go ahead and bet that you haven't taken any biochem, anatomy and physiology, or even basic cell bio courses before. If you had, you wouldn't get so hot-headed over what I said. But hey, if you want to go ahead and eat organic, grass-fed, raw cow liver, be my guest.
  • elfman5150 wrote: »
    Yea, since I was clearly advocating taking arsenic and poison. Paint with lead is also truly good for curing dysentery, don't you know? Gosh I love it when people take what someone else says to the extreme, and feel like they've won the argument. But I'll let you believe that.

I'm also going to go ahead and bet that you haven't taken any biochem, anatomy and physiology, or even basic cell bio courses before. If you had, you wouldn't get so hot-headed over what I said. But hey, if you want to go ahead and eat organic, grass-fed, raw cow liver, be my guest.

Hot-headed...hardly. I think it's sad when people get consumed and mad over writing on the internet.

And the whole "go ahead and bet that you haven't taken any biochem, anatomy and physiology, or even basic cell bio courses before" is overplayed. Everyone uses some variation of the statement when trying to prove a point.

Stay cool daddy-o B)
  • elfman5150

Hot-headed...hardly. I think it's sad when people get consumed and mad over writing on the internet.

And the whole "go ahead and bet that you haven't taken any biochem, anatomy and physiology, or even basic cell bio courses before" is overplayed. Everyone uses some variation of the statement when trying to prove a point.

Stay cool daddy-o B)

Sorry dude, I just don't like when people put words in my mouth. It's not very fair. Also, how is education overplayed exactly? I'm not trying to be a jerk - I honestly used to believe that I had to eat only 'healthy' foods, but after taking these courses I've learned that it isn't that simple. Yes, I try to eat all-natural and organic foods as often as I can, but there is nothing wrong with eating foods deemed 'unhealthy' or 'bad' for you every now and then.

The only foods I almost always avoid are those that 1.) don't agree with my GI tract and 2.) those that contain trans-fat (synthetic, not CLA).