How do I target my midriff and stomach?

Options
Hi, I have lost my first 20 pounds and have 12 more pounds to go. I seem to have lost the weight on my face , back and behind. The rest of the weight that I need to lose is hanging down the front of me in my midriff and stomach. As a result I still look bad in photos. My son is getting married in August. Is there any way to target my somavh? I have been doing Zumba fitness and Zumba Core on my WII for exercise. I am more than 60 years old. Thank you!

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You cannot "spot reduce". You gain and lose according to where your body puts on fat. Those of us on the plus side of 50 frequently add more in the midriff area for some reason. Doing exercises that strengthen the core, back, and improve posture will help tremendously in how that midriff area looks. Do you have access to a gym or "Y" that has personal trainers? They can give you exercises that target the abs and strengthen the back. The ones I do are on a big swiss ball so I do them at home. Stand tall and proud Mom!

For the wedding itself, there is always spanx or all in one body briefers to smooth out what is there.
  • marilynrene
    marilynrene Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response! I have a large ball at home and a video to go with it. I will do that after my Zumba core. It's funny, I wear a body briefer practically every day. Hopefully the last 12 pounds will come off the front of me and not on my face.
    Thank you again☺
  • Mariazanga
    Options
    I'm trying the same thing!!! I did Atkins diet years ago and that is only thing that helped me and kept off diet was a lifestyle change! I'm 50 and that's what I'm trying to do too!! So hard!! I'm on my 2nd round of 21 day fix tapes!! Good luck! I have same problem! Have lost every where except lower abs!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response! I have a large ball at home and a video to go with it. I will do that after my Zumba core. It's funny, I wear a body briefer practically every day. Hopefully the last 12 pounds will come off the front of me and not on my face.
    Thank you again☺

You're welcome. I wish we could decide where the fat comes off. I have lost 4 pants sizes but only 2 blouse/dress sizes because the boobies stay big :( I am hoping I start dropping from the upper body soon.

• marilynrene
    Options
    I'm going out to purchase a body bar this morning. That should tighten my back and upper body. Maybe you should try that. You do bench presses with the bar while lying down. I'm going to get a 9 lb or a 12 lb. I have to see which feels right.
  • marilynrene
    Options
    Mariazanga wrote: »
    I'm trying the same thing!!! I did Atkins diet years ago and that is only thing that helped me and kept off diet was a lifestyle change! I'm 50 and that's what I'm trying to do too!! So hard!! I'm on my 2nd round of 21 day fix tapes!! Good luck! I have same problem! Have lost every where except lower abs!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Free weights and a strength building program, like Stronglifts, really engage your core.
  • marilynrene
    Options
    Try and lose it before you turn 60. It's next than impossible after that, but I am going to keep going. Amazing the inspiration you can get to lose weight when there is a family wedding coming up!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You have time between now and August so keep at it and you will see change. And by the way-Good on you for all the weight you have lost!
  • marilynrene
    Options
    Mariazanga wrote: »
    Free weights and a strength building program, like Stronglifts, really engage your core.

• marilynrene
    Options
    Thank you! Great advice. I will follow it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if it is an option I would suggest joining a gym and getting on a structured lifting program like 5x5 or strong lifts…

• marilynrene
    Options
    Thank you. I will try working out with weights at home for a few weeks first. Then I will get professional help!

• marilynrene
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    You have time between now and August so keep at it and you will see change. And by the way-Good on you for all the weight you have lost!
    Thank you. It was hard work. I only eat 900 calories per day and I am working out six times per week.I have a very slow metabolism. I think that the working out with weights advice that I am receiving might work!☺
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Pilates maybe?? Might be worth a go.

https://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/pilates/benefits-of-pilates.html

Good luck :)

• scottharder
    scottharder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is only 1 way to lose that fat. Nutrition and exercise. Sit ups do nothing. Watch your calorie intake and keep it low enough that makes it achievable yet helps your goals. Eat food from the earth, not processed - you'll get there before you know it
  • marilynrene
    Options
    Thank you! Eating 900 calories per day. That's how I lost the first 20 pounds.
  • marilynrene
    Options
    Pilates maybe?? Might be worth a go.

https://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/pilates/benefits-of-pilates.html

Good luck :). Thank you!
  • marilynrene
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Thank you again☺

You're welcome. I wish we could decide where the fat comes off. I have lost 4 pants sizes but only 2 blouse/dress sizes because the boobies stay big :( I am hoping I start dropping from the upper body soon.

I'm down 25 pounds now. I have been doing core exercises and using my 12 pound body bar. My midriff has reduced in size, so have my arms legs and FACE! Still have a big gut! How are you doing?