Help me gain a few? I've been anorexic for too long...

Options
2»

Replies

• earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was anorexic as a teenager, and in recovery my metabolism went into overdrive. I used to eat a quart of yogurt each day in addition to my regular meals but still it took a long time to put on weight. Please be patient, and try eating calorie-dense foods like nuts and nut butters. I love guacamole, avocados are healthy fat.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    .... and premium ice cream for dessert!
  • msimones
    Options

Honestly, the best thing to do to overcome an ED is to stop counting calories and tracking your food altogether... At least for now. Be patient, eat what you want, and the weight will come. Some people are naturally thin, and that is OK. :smile: If you're really concerned about your health, you can get protein shake mix that is made specifically for weight gain (high in calories and protein). Some of it is pretty yummy too. I work in a doctors office and the doctors recommend that all the time for people who are trying to gain weight.
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I both agree and disagree with you @msimones. It's certainly not good to obsess over how much you're eating OP, but I think in order to make sure you are eating enough it's best to count calories, at least for now.

What kind of food are you eating, and are you weighing your food? I know it seems obsessive at first, but you really need to make sure you are eating as much as you think. Even if you don't weigh your food, make sure you do a good job estimating. Also, have you been gaining weight? That's obviously the best way to determine if you are recovering, in addition to how you feel.

Best of luck to you
  • MadisynRain
    MadisynRain Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    I both agree and disagree with you @msimones. It's certainly not good to obsess over how much you're eating OP, but I think in order to make sure you are eating enough it's best to count calories, at least for now.

What kind of food are you eating, and are you weighing your food? I know it seems obsessive at first, but you really need to make sure you are eating as much as you think. Even if you don't weigh your food, make sure you do a good job estimating. Also, have you been gaining weight? That's obviously the best way to determine if you are recovering, in addition to how you feel.

Best of luck to you
    I don't weigh my food out, I just eat it. Bread is one of my favorite foods and at my house we always have pasta.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    As a former ed sufferer I can't tell you how much relief having control over my calorie intake brings me. There's nothing wrong with being obsessive if you're using it maintain, to bulk at 250 calories over TDEE or cut at 100 under TDEE. Every mouthful is justified and that means no fear, panic. The facts are there. You are treating your body with respect and having peace of mind.

Beautiful.
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As a former ed sufferer I can't tell you how much relief having control over my calorie intake brings me. There's nothing wrong with being obsessive if you're using it maintain, to bulk at 250 calories over TDEE or cut at 100 under TDEE. Every mouthful is justified and that means no fear, panic. The facts are there. You are treating your body with respect and having peace of mind.

Beautiful.

Well said!!!