fat burning zone

Options
i just recently got a polar watch which tells me my heart rate during workouts, it also tells me if im under or over my 'fat burning zone', about 30% of my workout is done above my fat burning zone; its not hard for me to go about 10 bpm over and i have to waite a while for it to come back down, i do the 30 day shred, is this a problem i should be worried about?

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is anything to worry about. The "fat burning zone" is usually a low aerobic zone but as your heart rate goes up (exercise more intensely), you leave the "fat burning zone" but you burn more calories per unit of time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    farsteve wrote: »
    I don't think it is anything to worry about. The "fat burning zone" is usually a low aerobic zone but as your heart rate goes up (exercise more intensely), you leave the "fat burning zone" but you burn more calories per unit of time.

This. Overall you'll burn more calories including "fat" calories, working above the "fat burning" zone.
    Also, those zones are very over generalized so the "fat burning" zone it has set for you might not even be correct.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Fat burning zone is when you're sleeping or resting. Truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and try to stay above 140bpm when working out. I think that's about 80% of my max heart rate. I subtract my age from 208, then multiply that number by .80, that's my low end I want to be in (140), then I multiply it by .95 for my high end (168). I like to stay as close to 90% as I can when doing my workouts. Which is way above the traditional "fat burning zone"
  • pnamistry
    pnamistry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the t25 workout
  • aymi_needstobeslim
    Options
    ok thanks guys for the replies, i feel like its not a big deal now :)
  • 01megar
    01megar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Tabata method?, I am currently doing this for the 4 minutes, after this I do HIIT for close to an hour, by the end of the hour I am literally drenched, I currently use the Sportline watch, my HR range is from 68 to 75%, I am dropping inches galore but no weight loss any input would be appreciated. I do workout with dumbbells also.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    01megar wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Tabata method?, I am currently doing this for the 4 minutes, after this I do HIIT for close to an hour, by the end of the hour I am literally drenched, I currently use the Sportline watch, my HR range is from 68 to 75%, I am dropping inches galore but no weight loss any input would be appreciated. I do workout with dumbbells also.

If you're dropping inches, who cares about the scale? Throw the stupid thing in the trash. You're in the groove.
  • aymi_needstobeslim
    Options
    01megar wrote: »

yes that sounds awesome, good progress