Food addiction. Help!

Options
I honestly think I'm addicted to food!!! I workout to eat more! Wth! Lol. Any tips for this food addict.
I can workout, but my eating habits are a mess.

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a true eating disorder, you're not addicted to anything.

A lot of people work out to earn more calories.

In what ways do you feel your eating habits are out of control? If you're more specific, you might get some useful advice.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    l19kiki wrote: »
    I honestly think I'm addicted to food!!! I workout to eat more! Wth! Lol. Any tips for this food addict.
    I can workout, but my eating habits are a mess.

Rather than being addicted to food, per se, you may be addicted to eating?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25205078
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    OP, the best method I've used to manage to get my eating under control is to pre-plan and pre-log my food. Especially in the first month or two I really had to buckle down and eat intentionally. No grazing or mindless eating. It was hard but the effort you put in now will be completely worth it.
  • missykills
    Options
    omg i'm honestly the same haha i run so i can eat more sugar
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Prelog and Preplan your meals then hold yourself accountable for whats prelogged.
  • wootrition
    wootrition Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You need to be a bit more specific as to what your problem involves, but generally speaking, I would suggest NOT trying to solve whatever you've got going on by eliminating certain foods/food groups, or severely restricting any macronutrient category (carbs/fats/protein). You'll want to make sure you're eating enough total calories to keep you satisfied, but also eat for whatever your body composition goal is. In other words, if you're trying to lose body fat, you'll want to eat enough total calories to keep you satiated, but not so many that you're not losing any body fat (or gaining body fat).
  • l19kiki
    Options
    Ok well, I might not have an eating disorder but I constantly find myself eating on a lot of crap!
    For instance, I'll pack some carrots and hummus to snack on and I'll look for chips, crackers, bread, etc
    Dinners are the worst. I'm so hungry after a good workout that I find myself eating anything in sight.
    I know what I'm not suppose to eat, but I eat it anyways. I find snacking on healthy gets me bored so I tend to do intense workouts to eat what I want. Although, I know I shouldn't because I'm not seeing results.
    When I did lose 20 pounds 3 years ago, I felt that I was hungry most of the time. I don't want to under eat as well. I just have really bad eating habits.
    I like that idea of pre plan and pre logging food.
    I'm going to try that.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ok well, I might not have an eating disorder but I constantly find myself eating on a lot of crap!
    For instance, I'll pack some carrots and hummus to snack on and I'll look for chips, crackers, bread, etc
    Dinners are the worst. I'm so hungry after a good workout that I find myself eating anything in sight.
    I know what I'm not suppose to eat, but I eat it anyways. I find snacking on healthy gets me bored so I tend to do intense workouts to eat what I want. Although, I know I shouldn't because I'm not seeing results.
    When I did lose 20 pounds 3 years ago, I felt that I was hungry most of the time. I don't want to under eat as well. I just have really bad eating habits.
    I'm going to try that.

I'm glad you are going to give it a go. Eating intentionally has been the single most important lifestyle change I've made in the past year. I wish you all the best! Feel free to add me here is you'd like. My diary is open to friends.
  • gabrielasilva0812
    gabrielasilva0812 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a food addiction lol. I thought I had a bad one but after eating clean for almost a week I noticed it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Anyway, I see you are hungry most of the time. Depending on your day schedule plan it out. Eat 6 small meals a day.

1) Prepare your food. Have it made in advance. So you can pop it in the microwave ready to eat. Two days in the fridge any more should be in the freezer. Use natural spices to give the food taste. Remember carbs, vegetables, lean protein, and fruits. At night cut the carbs a little bit. You don't want to eat something that would be stored as fat later. Once you have all the food prepared it's seriously the best feeling in the world.

2) Eat more. If you are hungry that means you're not eating enough. After a workout try drinking a protein shake. Then have your next meal.

3) 6 small meals might mean small but honestly I stay full the whole day.
    * Breakfast
    * AM snack
    * post workout shake whenever you exercise
    * lunch
    * dinner
    * late PM snack
    ^ I sleep at almost 3am every day haha and with the last snack I eat that is low in carbs I sleep well at night no cravings. If you have a big breakfast with good snacks it will get you through the day!

4) Eat foods you like. I'm seriously sooo picky. Trust me I ate just the same as you did. Almost half of the bag of bread would be gone in one day I would dip it in cream cheese and just eat it all. Then the chocolates. Fast food. && the soda. It's not you it's the addictive ingredients in these foods. Try new foods if you don't like it return it to the grocery. Look up in myplate.gov ( daily meal plan ) to see an average of calories you should be eating in one day and try to reach that goal. Have a goodie once in a while.

Feel free to add me ;p!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try that.

stop looking at food in moralistic terms like "good" and "bad"

food is just food, it is energy that is broken down and used by your body.

when you lost 20 pounds how many calories per day were you eating? Did you restrict all foods that you viewed as "bad"?

I ask because a lot of people restrict foods to the point where they barely hit 1000 calories a day and then complain of starving….
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I knew we couldn't get past this weekend without another "I'm addicted to food" addiction. LOL
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a food addiction lol. I thought I had a bad one but after eating clean for almost a week I noticed it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Anyway, I see you are hungry most of the time. Depending on your day schedule plan it out. Eat 6 small meals a day.

1) Prepare your food. Have it made in advance. So you can pop it in the microwave ready to eat. Two days in the fridge any more should be in the freezer. Use natural spices to give the food taste. Remember carbs, vegetables, lean protein, and fruits. At night cut the carbs a little bit. You don't want to eat something that would be stored as fat later. Once you have all the food prepared it's seriously the best feeling in the world.

2) Eat more. If you are hungry that means you're not eating enough. After a workout try drinking a protein shake. Then have your next meal.

* Breakfast
    * AM snack
    * lunch
    * dinner
    * late PM snack
    ^ I sleep at almost 3am every day haha and with the last snack I eat that is low in carbs I sleep well at night no cravings. If you have a big breakfast with good snacks it will get you through the day!

4) Eat foods you like. I'm seriously sooo picky. Trust me I ate just the same as you did. Almost half of the bag of bread would be gone in one day I would dip it in cream cheese and just eat it all. Then the chocolates. Fast food. && the soda. It's not you it's the addictive ingredients in these foods. Try new foods if you don't like it return it to the grocery. Look up in myplate.gov ( daily meal plan ) to see an average of calories you should be eating in one day and try to reach that goal. Have a goodie once in a while.

Feel free to add me ;p!!

Glad I read this
  • greghurley3950
    Options
    Only buy healthy foods, you can't eat stuff that isn't in your house.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

no food is unhealthy or healthy…overall diet and dosage is what matters
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

* Breakfast
    * AM snack
    * lunch
    * dinner
    * late PM snack

Feel free to add me ;p!!

So much wrong here.

No need to cut carbs at night. Carbs don't get stored as fat if you are in a deficit.

It is okay to be hungry and does not mean you should automatically eat more.

The must eat breakfast is just bro science.

nope. It IS you. You are the one eating the food.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm going to try that.

You aren't addicted to food. You simply lack self-control. This will become easier over time.

If you can't control yourself around chips, crackers, and bread, don't buy it (until you learn self-control).
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    OP:

What are your eating habits? Give us a typical day. Or open your diary.
  • fatkidonadiet
    fatkidonadiet Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In all seriousness, I always felt that constant hunger when I ate too many carbs and too much sugar. Up your protein intake, esp. at breakfast. I try to aim for 100 g of protein a day, and stay around 100-125 carbs. Cutting out gluten/flour helps me not because I think I am celiac, but because it becomes a slippery slope -- pasta leads to bread which leads to cookies, cakes, etc...
    Upping protein is amazing because I can eat breakfast at 7 or 8 AM and not even be hungry until 1 or 2 PM -- that NEVER would have happened before.
    Example meal: Omelet with two eggs, 1 egg white, ham, a tiny bit of cheese, mushrooms. A clementine and a coffee -- easy peasy!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try that.

You aren't addicted to food. You simply lack self-control. This will become easier over time.

If you can't control yourself around chips, crackers, and bread, don't buy it (until you learn self-control).

Yep. Simple as that. I love cheesecake, so I try not to make it often as my willpower goes out the window when there's one sitting in my fridge.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

But you can create a calorie surplus by eating "healthy" foods.

OP, eat food, all foods, within a calorie deficit. That's all you have to do.