Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calorie allowance seems vary high

When I first setup my account I had a 2900cal. Goal? I'm a carpenter for a living. MFP suggested I enter vary active but I entered active and 1 pound a week weight loss. The I upped weight loss to 2# a week which brought the goal down to 2500 calories.
More days then not I'm 1000 calories short of my calorie goal. This sems like a large discrepancy.
I'm care full about logging my food and drinks
Any thoughts?

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    How is it working for you? Has weight come off?
  • I like it so far. Just added an UP24
  • crisisplanning
    crisisplanning Posts: 2 Member
    If you also included fitness goals for exercise when you set-up your goals, by default MFP adds those calories expected to be burned back into your daily calorie goal so that your overall anticipated loss will not exceed the weekly weight loss that you set. If you did set exercise goals, you might want to set them at zero and see what your daily calories should be. Then, exercise can either be an added loss bonus or an opportunity to eat back a portion of those calories if need be.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    MFP is set up to account for your gender, height, weight and activity level. So it's difficult to say whether these numbers are high or low. Also keep in mind that these are estimates, you should adjust up or down based on your personal experience. If you're losing faster then expected, eat more. Why do you find 2500 calories too high? How much were you eating before your started MFP?
  • No fitness goals addBy
  • By the end of the day and I've eaten well I get a not that says I maY not be eating enough. I can imagine eating another thousand calories
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Well you're a male with an active profession and so far you're down 12 pounds it looks like. How long did it take you to lose that? What do your fat and protein consumption look like? Are you happy with your rate of loss so far? Can you open your diary?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If you also included fitness goals for exercise when you set-up your goals, by default MFP adds those calories expected to be burned back into your daily calorie goal so that your overall anticipated loss will not exceed the weekly weight loss that you set. If you did set exercise goals, you might want to set them at zero and see what your daily calories should be. Then, exercise can either be an added loss bonus or an opportunity to eat back a portion of those calories if need be.

Very incorrect.

Those exercise goals has absolutely NO bearing on the eating goals at all.

Those goals are merely for the Exercise Diary page.

No exercise comes in to play until you do it and log it, then your daily burn increases, remove the same deficit, and whala! you eating level obviously goes up.
    By the end of the day and I've eaten well I get a not that says I maY not be eating enough. I can imagine eating another thousand calories

To be at the point that you must lose weight now, frankly yes, you not only imagined but you actually did eat more than 1000 calories more than you eat currently.

So obviously not impossible, but you may have redefined what you consider "healthy" and could like many, have cut out healthy fats thinking fat is bad.

And it'll only cause a problem if you stress your body too bad, then that big deficit that appears to be about 1/2 what your body burns, will likely cause some muscle loss as most lose upwards of 20% of their weight as muscle mass.
    You may still be able to do your work without issues, until it comes time to lift something heavy you used to be able to manage.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    heybales wrote: »

Very incorrect.

Those exercise goals has absolutely NO bearing on the eating goals at all.

Those goals are merely for the Exercise Diary page.

No exercise comes in to play until you do it and log it, then your daily burn increases, remove the same deficit, and whala! you eating level obviously goes up.

Just seconding this -- the exercise "goals" in your profile are not accounted for in your daily goal.
    I'm care full about logging my food and drinks [\quote]

Do you weigh all solid foods? Volume measurement is not very accurate, and "eyeing" things is even less accurate. (You don't guesstimate measurements as a carpenter, right?)
  • 1000 calories is , to me, a substantial amount of food. My food choice have not altered in a big way. Keeping a food diary make me think about what and how I cook.
  • I do measure a lot. Portion control is key. As a carpenter I guesstimate all the all the time.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    You are 1000 calories under your 2500 calorie goal. So thats only 1500 a day? Did you know that that is minimum the daily intake recommended for a man? Since you are very active surely you should be eating more than that.
  • _nice_
    _nice_ Posts: 55 Member
    I am going through the same issue. I am active (a nurse) and tall and I almost never eat as many calories as MFP allows (2130 for me) and 2-3 days a week i get the "you may not be eating enough" message. When I chose healthy foods I only eat about 1400-1600 calories, and I'm not hungry. And that is with at least one extra protein that I wasn't eating before. And the days I do get close or go over are the days I eat stuffed cheese bread and drink beer! I am not worrying about it too much, I've lost a little weight in the 3 weeks I've been logging, and since I am adding muscle faster than the fat weight falls off it looks like I've lost more than 5.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    carlitice wrote: »
    I am going through the same issue. I am active (a nurse) and tall and I almost never eat as many calories as MFP allows (2130 for me) and 2-3 days a week i get the "you may not be eating enough" message. When I chose healthy foods I only eat about 1400-1600 calories, and I'm not hungry. And that is with at least one extra protein that I wasn't eating before. And the days I do get close or go over are the days I eat stuffed cheese bread and drink beer! I am not worrying about it too much, I've lost a little weight in the 3 weeks I've been logging, and since I am adding muscle faster than the fat weight falls off it looks like I've lost more than 5.

It is highly unlikely that you're gaining appreciable muscle mass while eating at a deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

No it doesn't

Fitness goals are excluded ..MFP is a NEAT method
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Over what time frame have you lost 12lbs

You're logging 1500 calories a day, you need to work out what your TDEE is and what your actual cut is ...easiest to do by the back of hand 3500 calories = a pound

Average it over the length of time, account for the water weight in the first couple of weeks of up to 10lbs

Then if you're left with losing more than 2lbs a week ...eat more ..easily done, add oils, nuts, avocados, butters, cheese, chocolate, beer, chips whatever you love to your diet and just log them until you hit an appropriate defecit

You can worry about macros later, get your calorie balance right first so you maintain as much as LBM as possible.

If you have under 75lbs to lose then your target goal should be under 2lb a week, under 40lbs it should be around 1lb, under 14lbs around 0.5lbs
  • rpurcell7485
    rpurcell7485 Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    I need to go back and edit my starting weight. my scale is upset by uneven floors and how I stand on it. I believe i have actually lost about 9# since Jan 25th. more data over a longer time will help.
    I have a large frame (one Dr. told me i have Neanderthal bones) and, I think, a relatively slow metabolism.
    I also feel that most of the "ideal weights" are quite low. Some suggest I should weight 190#.

Thanks for all the info
    Things are looking up
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,523 Member
    How do you go back and change your starting weight?
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

No it doesn't

Fitness goals are excluded ..MFP is a NEAT method

What is NEAT method?
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    I need to go back and edit my starting weight. my scale is upset by uneven floors and how I stand on it. I believe i have actually lost about 9# since Jan 25th. more data over a longer time will help.
    I have a large frame (one Dr. told me i have Neanderthal bones) and, I think, a relatively slow metabolism.
    I also feel that most of the "ideal weights" are quite low. Some suggest I should weight 190#.

Thanks for all the info
    Things are looking up

So is mine. I have overcome it by marking the floor and putting the scale in the exact same position as previously. If your house hasn't moved you should get a consistent reading.