Vacation!

Options
I am super excited to go on vacation next week. We are traveling 3 days (by car with 3 kids) spending a week and then traveling 3 days home again. I am nervous though. This is the most consistent I have ever been with a "diet" I am down almost 16 pounds, and I'm afraid to mess it up. I am able to make breakfast/lunch at the condo, and I am thinking I will bring my food scale for that, but I need advice! Should I let myself up my calories to maintenance level for the vacation? How do I even know what maintenance level is? How to track when traveling? Dealing with breakfast/lunch/dinner while on the road? any tips or tricks that work for you?

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I would just go to maintenance, if you want to do that, but to be honest, when I go on vacation I just don't bother to watch what I eat (within reason, I mean). I went away for 3 weeks last year overseas and when I got back I had gained about 8 pounds. The first 5 of that was water weight and went away fairly quickly, but I had gained about 3 pounds of fat - one for each week - and it did take about a month to take it back off again. But I look at it this way - I work my rear end off on a daily basis and taking 3 weeks off isn't going derail me THAT much in the scheme of things, because for me, this is a lifetime thing that doesn't have an end date, and life happens. So I don't worry too much about getting detailed for 3 weeks (or whatever). I just come right back to it and get back up on the horse. Life is too short to not have some fun once in a while.
  • ama312
    ama312 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi C. I'm facing the same thing in a few weeks. My plan is this: continue tracking, keep up with exercise to offset splurges, and eat consciously. Allow yourself a splurge a day, so be thoughtful about what you really are in the mood for and then have the remaining meals be as normal to your usual plan as possible.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    and bring some healthy choices to have during car ride. (If you want to know maintenance change your settings in MFP to maintenance)
  • Csauskojus
    Csauskojus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will let myself relax a bit, but I think planning will be key for the car ride for sure, otherwise I will make myself sick on junk food