Body fat at 30%!!!!

my name is Chris,

I have been working out for a year or so but struggle with my weight. Before I started concentrating on my diet I thought I would get my body fat checked and booked an appointment for a device called a BodPod which is like a giant egg that you sit inside and they measure your body fat.

It was a real shock to find that my body fat percentage is 31%! I have joined this app to help me bring this down to about 15 mainly for health reasons but also to look better and see the results of working out in the gym.

I'm 35 and live in London and I'm looking for support and networking with others so get in touch if you're interested.

Chris

Replies

• y9837701
    y9837701 Posts: 13 Member
    Ps this is me!
  • y9837701
    ulzlm76ygfvd.jpg
  • lgmorgansb
    lgmorgansb Posts: 27 Member
    You're on the right track and still youthful so you can do this. I just officially became a senior citizen at 55 and I'm taking health and fitness serious for the first time in my life. I'd like to go on this journey with you....nothing's ever come to easy in my life so I don't expect this to be a walk in the park, but I'm dedicated to make some positive changes in my life. Join me my friend
  • kellan813
    kellan813 Posts: 28 Member
    Hard to believe you're at 31%. Have you ever calculated your body fat percentage yourself? May want to give it a try to see how accurate the bod pod was, and you can track it as it decreases as well. Best of luck for you!
  • JLively1020
    JLively1020 Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2015
    Umm, yeah. I agree with Kellan. Based on your pic, 31% doesnt seem correct at all. Iv also had that test done and I was 250lbs. Something is off..
  • kellan813
    kellan813 Posts: 28 Member
    May I ask what percentage you were at when weighing 250? Also, I have never heard of the bod pod, are you in the states?
  • y9837701
    HI Kellan.

Thanks for the reply. I've since had a BodyScan too which says 31%! It's a sort of CT Scan which shows the layers of fat and muscle in your body. Very interesting but also a bit scary too. Apparently I am carrying a lot of fat around my middle (no surprise) but yes, compared to most pictures that show roughly a 30% fat body shape I am quite different. I suppose at least these will be good baselines for me to work from and Ill get another scan in about 3 months. Diet going well but Im not so bothered what I weigh, more interested in getting a better fat:muscle ratio.

Chris
  • y9837701
    lgmorgansb wrote: »
    You're on the right track and still youthful so you can do this. I just officially became a senior citizen at 55 and I'm taking health and fitness serious for the first time in my life. I'd like to go on this journey with you....nothing's ever come to easy in my life so I don't expect this to be a walk in the park, but I'm dedicated to make some positive changes in my life. Join me my friend

Hi lmorgans,

Add me if you'd like to follow me. We can share our food diaries and see when we get stuck!

Chris
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Last July I also had around 31% body fat, it's what's called skinny fat. Get yourself on a heavy weight training programme and make sure there's enough protein in your diet. I've eventually brought mine down to around 21%, heavy weight training has burned fat, built muscle and changed my overall body shape. Hope this helps. Steph.
  • y9837701
    Hi Steph,

I'm doing the same as it happens and have been lifting heavy for about 6 months but not eating right so I need to focus more on eating now. I've only just started working on my Macros and hope that the high protein, low carb approach will slowly start to work and preserve muscle mass.

I have had a Dexa scan as I mentioned earlier so excited about that as a baseline. Do you know your current stats?

Chris
  • vodkadrinka
    vodkadrinka Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Chris

I think by far the most accurate way to have you BF recorded if by callipers, & stick with the same guy, is it an option to have it measured where you train? Looking at your picture I agree with the others I can't believe you are around 30% you look much lower.
    Weights is defiantly the way to go to reduce you body fat & improve your general strength & health/wellbeing. I've been training since February (after 40 years of doing nothing & eating rubbish), But didn't address my food until June, I dropped 2 stone just by cutting out processed foods & cutting back alcohol. Its everything in moderation, I cannot sustain a life without treats, so if we have night out I plan it into my diary and try to be good prior to & post event.
    I love the fact I'm getting stronger & leaner and can't wait to see my 12 months progress photos in June. Take lots of photos, I cried when i took my 1st lot of pictures but I look back at them now & i can see how far i have come.
    Good luck, keep going. But most of all enjoy the journey.
    Michelle :)
  • y9837701
    Hi Michelle,

Thanks for sharing your experience. In really just starting out so a lot to learn. I've had the calipers too and again it's similar. I must have fat spread very evenly across my body!

At any rate ive taken photos and am keen to see what happens in the next few months. As I said I'm two week in to eating differently and feeling much less bloated if nothing else. Higher protein and low carbs loses a lot of water initially I know so I'm less interested in weight and much more in body fat/waist circumference etc.

Add me if you're happy to? I'd love to keep track of your progress too. Sounds like you're doing very well.

Chris
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    yeah, seems just a bit high. maybe more like mid-20's.

body-fat-percentage-men1.jpg

eating healthy and doing more strength training will help reduce your body fat.
  • LuvPosh
    LuvPosh Posts: 105 Member
    ^^ those pictures aren't an accurate guide, how tall are any of those people?!

All the tests you've had are far more accurate than body calipers. BC results can vary depending on if done on 4points of reference or 7points of reference. A Dexa scan shows exactly where and how much fat is on your body and organs.

Sort your eating out and you will drop that fat %

Good luck with your goals :-)

• y9837701
    Thanks LuvPosh,

I tend to think that the best way to measure body composition is evidence based scans which means, for me at least, the Dexa scan is about as good as it gets. I've tried a number of others but human error is just too big a factor. As you say, I am going to use Dexa as my baseline and remeasure in a few months and see how I go. I am certainly getting lighter (water mostly at first Im sure) so I don't want to concentrate too much on that figure, certainly not at first.

I've been recording my food diary for the past 2 weeks so if anyone wants to review that would be very helpful. I really struggled to eat enough at first but seem to have got the hang of it now

Chris
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm interested in this type of scan myself. How much did it cost you and where did you get it done? Did you have to be referred through your doctor?

*EDIT: I found one at the University here. Looks like it's 40 bucks. I'm a little freaked to figure out what my % is. I've never tried any method at all so I have no clue what to expect!
  • y9837701
    JM1481 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this type of scan myself. How much did it cost you and where did you get it done? Did you have to be referred through your doctor?

*EDIT: I found one at the University here. Looks like it's 40 bucks. I'm a little freaked to figure out what my % is. I've never tried any method at all so I have no clue what to expect!

Hey JM,

Actually I just googled it and it popped up at a university near me. It was £100 but that's worth a baseline in my book. The product I used was Dexa and there's lots of info if you look for that. I presume you're in the states so there should be plenty of choice.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Chris

• wanabefit2016
    wanabefit2016 Posts: 187 Member
    Hi I live in the UK, feel free to add me