hypothyroid/clean eating /salad

Options
I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid and have read a lot of things online about eating clean and how it helps. I love salads and need some help finding a suitable salad dressing. It cannot contain any sugar or anything grape or soy. Any help?

Replies

• melissaljordan930
    Options
    And no strawberries!
  • AlexMorganMc
    AlexMorganMc Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Heya. I've had hypothyroidism for most of my Life, and I'm pretty happy to say that I think I've finally gotten a handle on it. As far as what specifics to eat, there really aren't any. It's really individual. For example, for some people with hypothyroid, soy makes their symptoms act up. For others, it doesn't at all. If you've been eating soy and noticed that cutting it out doesn't dramatically decrease your symptoms, don't worry about it. Additionally, "eating clean" helps a lot of people, but isn't necessary for hypothyroidism. Getting on the proper medication is 100 times more important than anything else. Seriously. It could get messy if you don't.

Go on meds. Figure out your TDEE and eat below that. If certain foods make your thyroid act up, just avoid them (just like you would if you had an allergy).
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do you like thai food? This salad I made yesterday, then made again todays for lunch. It has no added sugar. I think there is minimal natural from the veggies. This is a big salad by the way.
    100 grams red cabbage
    100 grams green cabbage
    50 grams celery
    50 grams romaine
    56 grams chicken
    (any other veggies here, like onions, peppers etc, I also did raw brussels sprouts)
    for dressing:
    1 tbs peanut butter. The old fashioned runny kind is great.
    half tbs of Thai kitchen fish sauce
    half tbs of coconut aminos - (I use bragg's but braggs uses soy)
    three quarters of a tsp of curry powder - I use spice islands
    Mix it as well as you can, then add 2 tbs of Silk Cashew milk. I put it in the microwave for a few seconds, then stir, then put back in. Repeat till mix is nice and creamy. Sometimes it doesn't get real creamy but it still tastes good. If you like heat add in some sriracha.

Another dressing I love on salmon salads is 1 tbs spectrum roasted peanut oil, 1 tbs kraft olive oil mayo, a tsp to 2 tsps of kikkoman wasabi sauce. mix, then spray salad with a little coconut aminos.

Hope you like.
  • melissaljordan930
    Options
    Lots of ideas! I'm still looking simply because I can't have peanut butter, cabbage, or mayo!!
  • ltvrdik
    Options
    I have Graves' disease and hashimotos. After over 20 years, I'm now hypo. Meds should regulate that. :)
    I personally do best by staying away from white flour products and sugar.
    I really just like balsamic vinegar with s touch of oil for my dressing.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Oil/ vinegar maybe?
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    sweet dill relish and coconut oil taste pretty good mixed together as a salad topper.

thyroid issues suck.

favorite salad:
    pineapple
    raisins
    lettuce
    the above mentioned coconut oil/sweet dill relish. regular dill relish is also good.

have determined broccoli makes me hurt. so does soy and salt in any sort of quantity.

good luck.
  • melissaljordan930
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! Glad I'm not alone! I've been using lemon juice and olive oil. It seems to work well. I will be trying out your suggestions!
  • BritDillinger
    BritDillinger Posts: 77
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wait. I have Hypothyroidism. Why no grapes or strawberries? I don't eat either anyway because I live the ketogenic diet. I was just curious.

Edit: No cabbage, mayo or peanut butter? What did I miss about Hypothyroidism when I was diagnosed and taking my medication?
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Wait. I have Hypothyroidism. Why no grapes or strawberries? I don't eat either anyway because I live the ketogenic diet. I was just curious.

Edit: No cabbage, mayo or peanut butter? What did I miss about Hypothyroidism when I was diagnosed and taking my medication?

I have hypothyroidism too but I eat all those things! Can't say I notice they affect me, and the Dr hasn't said anything about avoiding any foods?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'd also be curious to know about these restrictions. I had half my thyroid removed due to cancer and I eat anything I want so I'm confused.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

My endocrinologist told me to eat whatever I wanted, and I lost the weight & have maintained just fine.
  • melissaljordan930
    Options
    Just been reading online about how goigotrens suppress your thy function. (Peanuts, cabbage, broccoli all do) and I Have food allergies to the others. Thanks for the advice on the group! Will check it out!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, lemon and rice vinegar - mixed together makes the perfect dressing. You could even add some hummus.
  • DawnPodojil
    DawnPodojil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I saw yesterday using just lime juice. Tried it last night - delicious! I'm sure just fresh squeezed citrus would work great for you!