Beginner women strength training routines?

Options
What do you guys do? I'm completely clueless.

Replies

• JUNEFEB
    Options
    I'm interested as well.
  • CaoimheMariexo
    CaoimheMariexo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you mean at a gym or if you have weights then the 5x5 Stronglifts Program!
    Start of low and make your way up. You get strong quick with this, i love it.
    Theres an app for it aswell so its really helpful. :blush:
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of good programs.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love "New Rules of Lifting for Women". I've been a gym goer for a while, but having a program to follow makes it so much better. And it changes up from time to time so I don't get bored. See if your library has it so you can see if its for you before buying it. Or maybe you can find it used for cheap.
  • VegGram
    Options
    I started at home. I used/still use "The Firm" videos. They are available on Ebay pretty cheap. If you can get a set with the "Fanny Lifter" (a 2-part step used for various purposes with the vids) that, along with some dumbbells, will get you started (and hooked). I hear that Jillian Michaels and Cathe Friedrich also have some great strength routines, but I've never used them. If starting at the gym, it is probably best to make at least 1 appointment with a trainer to get started. They can show you exercises, along with proper form, to get a program going. Aside from that, YouTube is awesome. I'm convinced there isn't anything you cant learn there.

Best of luck to you on your journey! Strength training is 1 decision you will never regret. It will improve your life dramatically and condition your body, for good health, for years to come.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's nice...I couldn't do it though. I do the Wendlers 5/3/1 but it's not good for beginners per say. I think I like SL 5x5 best so far. I haven't done it yet but might try it some day.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules of Lifting For Women. I really like the structure it provides. :)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The first thing to learn is that there is no difference between men's training and women's training. That mentality has led many women down the road to mediocrity. Stronglifts or starting strength would be a good place to start.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just curious...arditarose, why couldn't you do "New Rules"?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    tauny78 wrote: »
    Just curious...arditarose, why couldn't you do "New Rules"?

Too much messing around for me. Also, I wasn't a complete beginner so I wasn't keen on going in and doing 2 sets for 15 reps (or whatever the recommendation was). I like the Wendler's because it's a strength program focusing on the major lifts, with a 4 day split, and I can do whatever assistance work I like. And no jack knifing on balls or whatever ha.