Sugar

Options
No success getting started back. Is their such thing as sugar addiction? If so, I'm sure I am. I've been trying to eliminate sugar sweets, like baked bakery things. I start the craving something sweet, no matter what else I eat that morning. by end of day I've left the house in search of something of to satisfy me, and end up over eating it completely on the sugary carb type food.
Anyway if it can be addictive what would be the best way to get over that. I tried to just cut it out completely but that's not working. I know it's all to me and my fault, My responsibility to get past it, but I'm tired of it and I want to be eating healthy again. Has anyone else dealt with this, if so, what would you suggest to eliminate this crazy eating habit? It's truely ridiculous, and I'm quite disappointed in myself. Thanks once again for any replies.

Replies

• sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Craving something is not the same thing as being addicted. I find the more carbs I eat, the more I crave them. If I focus on getting an appropriate amount of protein and fat, I find I crave sweets a lot less.
  • seasonoffitness
    Options
    I am completely addicted to sugar as well, but I have found that really sugary fruit has satisfied my cravings well. I am now addicted to mangoes and oranges and blackberries, and I eat them throughout the day so that I rarely crave sugary things by evening because I have had so many sweet things all day! I definitely suggest trying mangoes
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Your family has told you time and again that you were too thin. Why are you not listening to them?
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Don't fully eliminate. Have you seen those yoplait commercials, with the "swapportunity?" Slowly replace the bad carbs/sugar with good ones, like fruit, yogurt, whole wheat bread, ect. Eventually, you body will crave fruit instead of chocolate, or whatever it is that you're eating.

I hope this helps!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't think it's addictive, but in many people the kinds of foods you are talking about aren't satiating and tend to provoke cravings (if only because they are tasty). I find that they are really unsatisfying (in that I will want more often) if I eat them on their own and easy to build up bad habits around, so I restrict them somewhat and only eat them in the context of a meal with adequate protein and veggies and the like.

Thus, for me they really aren't good for breakfast except on rare occasions (for a holiday I might have a pancake brunch), and if I feel like I'm wanting or expecting them too much it can be helpful (again, for me) to cut them out for a while so I remember I don't need them. That usually allows me to go back to moderation. When I do moderation, I don't really let myself snack on them, but add something of that sort to a whole meal, in a reasonable quantity, or end the meal with it as a dessert, of course.

I don't tell myself it's a bad food, as I find that unhelpful, and I remember that if I want more there's always tomorrow and eat something else instead (usually something savory or some fruit).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    No, not really, it's more psychological with some physiology thrown in. If you were addicted to sugar you would have a compelling attraction to go full face into the sugar bowl, but I suspect your not doing that. It's science, and RD combined that makes certain foods very palatable with our reward centre of our brain the main catalyst..... Knowing your market inside and out makes us very easy targets and I suspect the foods are going to get tastier and tastier to our little receptors in our brain.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Your family has told you time and again that you were too thin. Why are you not listening to them?

I haven't been following this, but if your calories are too low overall, that provokes cravings and a feeling of being unable to control yourself when you do eat for many people.

That reminds me also that recently I cut my carbs lower than I'd been used to (despite working out a lot) and was struggling with being less able to control my eating than usual and as soon as I increased my carbs a bit again it went away. I was surprised because in the past eating more carbs had usually seemed less satiating, but this was the opposite.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I haven't been following this, but if your calories are too low overall, that provokes cravings and a feeling of being unable to control yourself when you do eat for many people.

That reminds me also that recently I cut my carbs lower than I'd been used to (despite working out a lot) and was struggling with being less able to control my eating than usual and as soon as I increased my carbs a bit again it went away. I was surprised because in the past eating more carbs had usually seemed less satiating, but this was the opposite.

She has a history of disordered eating. Hair loss, sunken face.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Why are people eating for others?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Heh. Carrying quints?

Obviously that was badly written: "for many people, keeping calories too low overall can provoke cravings or the experience of being unable to control yourself when eating."
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Adpalangi wrote: »
    No success getting started back. Is their such thing as sugar addiction? If so, I'm sure I am. I've been trying to eliminate sugar sweets, like baked bakery things. I start the craving something sweet, no matter what else I eat that morning. by end of day I've left the house in search of something of to satisfy me, and end up over eating it completely on the sugary carb type food.
    Anyway if it can be addictive what would be the best way to get over that. I tried to just cut it out completely but that's not working. I know it's all to me and my fault, My responsibility to get past it, but I'm tired of it and I want to be eating healthy again. Has anyone else dealt with this, if so, what would you suggest to eliminate this crazy eating habit? It's truely ridiculous, and I'm quite disappointed in myself. Thanks once again for any replies.

Have you sought professional help for your disordered thinking about food and your dysmporphia yet?

If you have that's a healthy approach and you should speak to your therapist

If you haven't you need to think back to that brief moment when you accepted that all those who loved you were right to be concerned about your attitude to food and make that call

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Heh. Carrying quints?

Obviously that was badly written: "for many people, keeping calories too low overall can provoke cravings or the experience of being unable to control yourself when eating."
    aha...and I thought I knew what you meant, but on MFP land we interpret things differently sometimes since we can't see facial expression, hear voice inflection, and watch body language.

• jordanveg
    jordanveg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Some people think it's addictive, others don't. I think you can have sugar cravings though, mainly because I do. I cut out all white sugar (But boy, I still love my breads, muffins, and fruits) and I chose to use Stevia instead, because it is zero calorie and slightly more natural. This is all just my opinion and what works for me.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

This, OP.
    I have followed your threads. I think it's time to get off this site, and speak to a professional about your relationship with food. This is beyond the scope of what strangers on the internet should be helping with.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am completely addicted to sugar as well, but I have found that really sugary fruit has satisfied my cravings well. I am now addicted to mangoes and oranges and blackberries, and I eat them throughout the day so that I rarely crave sugary things by evening because I have had so many sweet things all day! I definitely suggest trying mangoes

Yeah, I love fruit, especially the melons and berries. As a matter fact I packed 1 and 1/2 today for my lunch/dinner for work. And also 2 clementines. Guess what I brought home from work untouched. And two boxes of doughnuts. Buy one get one free, I did give a box away, I would of had no problem eating them all, seriously. I know my working at Safeway is not helping the situation, I seem to browse thru the bakery department when ever I'm working. The hours seem to mess me up, I was used to eating dinner at 5, and nothing else till about 9 the next morning. Working 11 - 7, kinda doesn't help any. I will have to add some mango with the melons, I don't think I've ever had that before. ,thanks for your reply.
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Have you sought professional help for your disordered thinking about food and your dysmporphia yet?

If you have that's a healthy approach and you should speak to your therapist

If you haven't you need to think back to that brief moment when you accepted that all those who loved you were right to be concerned about your attitude to food and make that call

Yes, I have discussed this with my therapist awhile ago, however I think we should look at again. I'm not able to see her this week but the following week I do and I think I will start that is first topic. Thanks for your reply.

• Adpalangi
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I gave already discussed with my therapist. However, I am gonna ask to revisit the topic.
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    Take it slow. Don't fully eliminate. Have you seen those yoplait commercials, with the "swapportunity?" Slowly replace the bad carbs/sugar with good ones, like fruit, yogurt, whole wheat bread, ect. Eventually, you body will crave fruit instead of chocolate, or whatever it is that you're eating.

I hope this helps!
    Thank you, Dragonslayer. I was wondering if that might be the route to take. I will speak with the doctor who soon and see if she suggest anything. But I am thinking more along your line as for now as dealing with it for now thank you very much
    Appreciate your time and reply.
  • szesze20
    szesze20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    After being very good at maintaining my weight for 1.5 yrs (after losing 8 lbs), I feel like I fell into the trap of sugar craving these days. I have to go thru the fridge or anywhere in the kitchen where I can find sweets. But the better news is that I eat them in moderate amount, e.g. a bite or 2 of a cookie, or ice-cream, or cake, etc. However, what really worries me is the frequency I crave and eat them. I am for sure giving into my cravings, which result in gaining back a few lbs, and I feel really bad about myself. Help! :s:(
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I personally don't believe in sugar addiction, but there are others who do. Each to their own.

Is there a way you can work your sweet tooth into your calorie goals?

I used to think I was addicted to sugar but figured out it was my inability to use portion control. Now, I work those sweets into my calorie goal. I have many types of sweets around the house but I don't eat some unless I truly want to.

I take package out of cabinet (or fridge or freezer), weigh portion, put container away, log portion, and enjoy every single bite. :)