How often do you get in the scale?

I'm wondering how often to get on the scale?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Couple of times a week, but only log my weight every Monday.
  • Great. I was thinking the same thing.
  • Twice a week... only "count" it once- just to keep me on track :)
  • mnewell0293
    mnewell0293 Posts: 34 Member
    I weigh in every morning before breakfast...helps motivate me... 8)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I weigh every day. First thing in the morning. After I pee.
    When I was losing, it helped me to learn trends (scale goes up with ovulation, up when I'm dehydrated, up after air travel, up before period, up after sushi, up after a high carb meal...). This knowledge helped me not freak when it didn't go down in a linear fashion.
    Now, 14 years later, maintaining is easier if I don't lose track of things. If the number goes up for a few days (barring the water weight mentioned above), I start being a bit more careful.

Decide what works for you. But "weigh in" once a week, always the same time, same day. Like: Monday morning, nude, after your first pee. THAT is your weigh in. The rest is just data points.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    For the first five months I was weighing daily. I liked having the data. It gave me a really clear picture of where I was at but I still found that my daily mood tended to be determined by the number on the scale. If it was down I was happy all day. If it was up even slightly I was a bit sad all day.

Despite liking the data, this last month I decided not to deal with the daily emotional roller-coaster. So for the last month I have switched to weekly. It has helped me mentally deal with the scale in a better way.
  • Thanks for the info. That's what I'm afraid of is getting discouraged. I think I'll stick to once or twice a week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    lweninger wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. That's what I'm afraid of is getting discouraged. I think I'll stick to once or twice a week.
    Totally works. Just know that all those "water weight" factors can hit on weigh in day. Don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't go down in a pretty, predictable, linear fashion.

If you're following the plan (MFP or whatever you're using) and it's a good plan, you'll lose.
  • Thank you for the encouragement.