Half a cup- how much in grams

Options
gwenjones63
gwenjones63 Posts: 4 Member
Hi Im new to all this and the receipes throw me as they say half a cup of ingredients.
How much is half a cup in grams.
Im from the uk and we end to measure in metric.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your put in the cup! A cup of lettuce weighs less than a cup of flour for example.

Cups measure volume not weight.
  • skipping_pete
    Options
    A cup should be 250ml, and the idea of measuring with cups is so that you decide on the size of the cup you use as to how many people you are catering for.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cups measure volume rather than weight, 1 cup is around 250ml. There's no straightforward conversion to grams as each item weighs different amounts. I'm from the UK too, you can get measuring cups quite cheaply, Lakeland have them and I think Wilko do too.
  • Mrbadbern
    Mrbadbern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1 cup equals 236.588 ML. 1/2 Cup equals 118.294ML
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Depends on what your put in the cup! A cup of lettuce weighs less than a cup of flour for example.

Cups measure volume not weight.

This is the correct answer. ML are not relevant to your question.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you need to know the density of what you are weighing. That's why a food scale with a digital readout that displays weights in either oz. or grams is such a valuable investment. (They're not that expensive; about $10-$40 US depending on what you want.) 3/4 c of cereal is 31 grams, but 1/2 c of ice cream is 85 grams. :neutral_face:

I decided early on that I would rather weigh my food than try to get good volume measurements. (To say nothing of cleaning all those measuring cups and spoons, and accounting for food stuck to the measuring spoon/cup.)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Most pre-packaged food items should have the weight of a serving size on the nutritional panel. For example, a serving of Apple Cinnamon Cheerioes is 3/4 cup, and the packaging tells you this is 30g. A serving of Chobani Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt is 1 cup, and the packaging tells you that this is 227g. So you can see the big difference in weight per cup. So checking the packaging is the best way to go with foods like this.

If you're wondering about the weight per cup of foods that don't always have this on the label, like honey, nuts, rolled oats, fruit or vegetables, or something like that, I have found King Arthur's Master Weight chart to be tremendously useful. I use it all the time when I'm cooking. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Most pre-packaged food items should have the weight of a serving size on the nutritional panel. For example, a serving of Apple Cinnamon Cheerioes is 3/4 cup, and the packaging tells you this is 30g. A serving of Chobani Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt is 1 cup, and the packaging tells you that this is 227g. So you can see the big difference in weight per cup. So checking the packaging is the best way to go with foods like this.

If you're wondering about the weight per cup of foods that don't always have this on the label, like honey, nuts, rolled oats, fruit or vegetables, or something like that, I have found King Arthur's Master Weight chart to be tremendously useful. I use it all the time when I'm cooking. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html

Thanks!-- I didn't know that existed. I've been seeing how much the USDA database says a cup should be and then figuring out how many grams correspond to the same calorie count. This is much better.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Thanks!-- I didn't know that existed. I've been seeing how much the USDA database says a cup should be and then figuring out how many grams correspond to the same calorie count. This is much better.

Yeah, I think that may be the single-most useful webpage I've ever come across. I'm a giant K.A. fan-girl anyway, of course (melting mint brownies = best thing ever).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It depends what. For some things, we know because packages typically tell us (flour, cheese etc), but for others, your guess is a good as mine. I live in the US and I HATE recipes that call for volumes for recipes.
  • gwenjones63
    gwenjones63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone Im starting to get to grips with it
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just get a scale!!!