Turning to the community for this one....

Options
2»

Replies

• cookiepuss28
    Options
    It's also a myth to believe that you can actually put multiple pounds of muscle on in a short period of time. I guarantee your weight gains or lack of losses from before are not from putting on too much muscle.

I wasn't suggesting that all of my gain would be from muscle.. I misspoke if I implied that. I do know that I am able to increase the amount of weight I am able to handle on various exercises. For example, Weighted calf raises, I started out doing about 80 lbs and within 2 weeks I was able to do about 140 lbs.... the hip adduction, I would start out at about 70 lbs and in about 2 weeks I was up to 130 lbs.

I don't know if something else is going on with how my muscles are working but I do feel a lot more solid and definitely stronger LOL
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I am always under my calorie goal and try not to eat the calories that I burned. I will eat maybe only about 200 - 300 of them. (1200 base calories for the day + about 200 exercise calories).
    Enough said. This is your problem. You need to eat more.

What you're saying is you eat 1200 cals, burn 1000, and then eat 200 back...so you are surviving on 400 calories a day? (1200-1000+200=400). Your body thinks it's being starved at 400 calories a day and thus holding on to weight. EAT.

Bang on!

Additionally your body retains fluids to help repair tissue damage. When you work out, you are stressing and straining muscle tissue, which needs to be repaired. This happens to me every time I race. I end up gaining 4-5 lbs for the 2 or 3 days after a race and I know that it is largely water weight.
  • cookiepuss28
    Options
    I am always under my calorie goal and try not to eat the calories that I burned. I will eat maybe only about 200 - 300 of them. (1200 base calories for the day + about 200 exercise calories).
    Enough said. This is your problem. You need to eat more.

What you're saying is you eat 1200 cals, burn 1000, and then eat 200 back...so you are surviving on 400 calories a day? (1200-1000+200=400). Your body thinks it's being starved at 400 calories a day and thus holding on to weight. EAT.

Bang on!

Additionally your body retains fluids to help repair tissue damage. When you work out, you are stressing and straining muscle tissue, which needs to be repaired. This happens to me every time I race. I end up gaining 4-5 lbs for the 2 or 3 days after a race and I know that it is largely water weight.

I would agree with what he is saying...and others that it would be water retention... I know the 2 lbs fluctuation isn't actually fat... but it is an annoying 2lbs lol
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump, so I can read later.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Eat. Your. Calories.
  • cookiepuss28
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm used to doing things the "weight Watchers" way... so the calorie counting method is new to me. While weight watchers did have great results for me (lost 115 lbs so far) it got too expensive for the membership and what not. Now I just need to lose the rest of the weight.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat back at least half your exercise calories. Keep in mind that MFP already creates a 500 calorie deficit for you.

Also make sure you drink lots of fluids. It will help cut down some of the post workout weight gain.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have read in a few places that your muscles (or something) retain water when you start an exercise program, so initially, you could show a weight gain or at least stay steady in your weight. The advice I have seen is to keep going, and eventually (could take a month or so) it should start coming off.

I've had the exact same problem, and it is so discouraging. I'll go for a week with no loss, then take a week off and drop a few pounds. Doesn't exactly motivate you to exercise.

I agree with the eating more too, it is a concept that makes sense when you look at the numbers.
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bump
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting with ultra light weights and high reps will get your heart rate going better than a 10 min jog...

Grab the 3-5 lb dumbells and start doing shoulder presses, or bench press the bar until fatuige and tell me what your heart rate is!

Good luck!